Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

What Questions should you ask your DJ BEFORE the wedding...

So that everything is how you expected it to be?  I meet with my DJ (and photographer and florist so feel free to respond to the same question for them too!) on Monday morning and I've already seen him do shows and expo's and have been impressed, how do I make sure that at my reception he plays the type of music i want him to and keeps the crowd entertained...along with what questions should I ask as far as how he handles the party introductions, the first dances, cutting of the cake, etc.  I don't want to miss anything!

Thanks!

Re: What Questions should you ask your DJ BEFORE the wedding...

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Most DJs will ask you for a must play and a do not play list.  You can give him artists or genres you like.  You will also give him your song choices for the major parts (first dance, parent dances, cake cutting, etc).  Our DJ came with great reviews, so we told him to read the crowd and play what kept people on the dance floor.   He played a nice range of music and all ages were on the dance floor.

Don't forget about audience participation songs (ie Electric Slide).  I was originally against them....I find them cheesy.  But in the end, we told our DJ he could play a couple, but if the first wasn't a hit, to smoothly end the song early and don't do anymore.  Our dance floor was packed during those, so it's something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, they're professionals.  I don't think they need too much direction.  They'll probably go through a timeline with you beforehand.  Ours had a sheet with all the info he needed.  It had our names, wedding party names and parent names for the entrance (along with pronounciation for harder names), whether or not we were going to do certain things (first dance, parent dance, cake cutting - YES, garter/bouquet toss - NO) so he was able to keep things running smoothly.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards