Moms and Maids

Moms

I'm experiencing a few issues in regards to the mothers (mine and his).

My parents are paying for the supper, which is absolutely wonderful of them to do, and that gives them most of the leeway on who to invite. Our venue hold 250 people, tops, and we have 255 people on the guest list because Mom wouldn't allow long lost cousins to be cut from the guest list. Instead, she wanted us to cut our friends, which I was ready to do, but FH refused. Don't get me wrong, I want my friends there, but really didn't want such a huge guest list, especially since I'm making all of the invitation packages. She also has told us we're stupid in regards to who is in our wedding party (groomswoman), and that she agreed with my sister (MOH) when she said that our wedding colour look like vomit. The groomswoman wasn't even asked to be in the wedding party, and the colour is now changed to black with fuchsia and orange flowers. I like it, but it wasn't what we originally envisioned. Mom has also been very negative about the wedding, and will change the subject when I start talking about it. She also had much control of the shower list, and has invited the wives of the men she works with. I know these women, and like them, but I kind of didn't want a huge shower, especially since FH and both wanted a small wedding, and well, we're not going to have that! :-o

FMIL seems really excited about our nuptials, but in a bittersweet way. FH currently rents a suite at her house, and she's used to having him around. She relies heavily on him to drive her places, do house or yard work, etc., and she will have to give up the house when he moves as it's just too much for her. She also likes the fact that with him paying rent, she has an income, and she will lose that income when he moves. He is 43, and looking forward to our life together, but she has told him that he shouldn't move into my place until the wedding. She also has brought up more reception place ideas to us, even though we booked our venue in November 2012. She knows this, so why would she continue to suggest? It's weird, but I'm thinking that maybe if we find somewhere else, then our wedding date will get moved to a later time, and FH won't move out so soon…? Invites are printed, and envelopes are stuffed, so nothing is changing, as I'm not redoing those many, many hours of designing, trimming papers and gluing!

Not much more than a rant here, but if anyone has thoughts they'd like to share, feel free, please.

Alesha
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Moms

• Are they only paying for the food? I mean, don't get me wrong, that's a huge portion of the wedding, but that's not all of it. They really shouldn't have a say in your colors or wedding party though.
  • If you can I would tell your parents that you are grateful that they want to help pay but you and your FI are more than happy to cover all the costs. Then plan the wedding you want.

• I'm sorry your mom is being so negative.  Since she is inviting wives of her coworkers to the shower, I assume the couples are invited to the wedding.  If so, tell her if she feels so strongly about these long lost relatives being there, that she cut her coworkers from the list, rather than you cutting your friends.  On your wedding day you and FI should be surrounded by those that are close to you, not your parents friends or long lost relatives.

The other option is to turn down their money and pay for the wedding yourself.  Then you can cut the guest list to what you can afford and whom you'd' like to have there.

Regarding your FMIL, I suggest you and your FI sit down and decide how involved he is going to remain in her day to day life once he moves out of her house.  If she doesn't have a place to move to already, research senior (over 55) developments where hopefully they can help with some of her needs so that it doesn't remain on your shoulders.  Also she would likely make some friends that will keep her busy and involved.
  • They're paying for the food, my dress and the transportation. FH and I are taking care of everything else, which is the majority of it. His Mom isn't contributing at all. So yes, my folks do get to call some shots when it comes to the guest list, and Mom refuses to cut any family, even if we haven't seen them for 15-20 years. There are some cousins I've never even met who are now in their 20s, who are invited!

As for wedding colours, they're changed, dresses are ordered and invites are all made and stuffd into envelopes, so we can't change the colours now.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:1c725f4b-8841-4d72-905b-e6a5cd332546Post:c16da9e8-ad3f-4903-94c8-65e7f2fd29bc">Re: Moms</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are they only paying for the food? I mean, don't get me wrong, that's a huge portion of the wedding, but that's not all of it. They really shouldn't have a say in your colors or wedding party though.
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You both need to learn to tell your parents "no".  If your parents are paying for the food, then they have some say over the food- not your guest list, not your wedding colors, and not your wedding party.  Don't leave a good friend out of the wedding just because your mom is unreasonable.

That a 43-year-old man won't move out of his mom's house because she doesn't want him to is very troubling.  If the two of you agree that it would be better for him to move out earlier, then that's what he should do.  Are you going to live the rest of your lives based on what his mother wants?  Do you think the manipulation is going to stop once he moves out?  He needs to start drawing boundaries with her now so she understands that he's an adult and can make his own decisions in life.
  • My MIL would suggest things after we already put deposits down and made decisions. It happens.

For your FMIL, you will have to start "bean dipping" her.

For examples:

FMIL: Hey, Aunt Suzie's daughter got married at this chapel down the street from here. You should get married there.
    You: We already picked out the ceremony venue. This bean dip is delicious. Do you want any?
    FMIL: There is the other chapel on the other side of town that is beautiful for your wedding.
    You: What is the recipe for this bean dip. It is quite delicious.

Your FMIL can suggest different venues, but you don't need to change your plans.

However, my concern is your FMIL situation. Where is she moving after the wedding? What happens if she can't find anything?  Would she be moving in with you and your husband? Based on what you have describe about your FMIL, she may want to live with you since she depends on her son that much.

You need to have a discussion with your FH before any post-wedding decisions are made.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:1c725f4b-8841-4d72-905b-e6a5cd332546Post:5b2c5ee3-31cd-4161-9b7c-3cda71c035bc">Re: Moms</a>:
    [QUOTE]They're paying for the food, my dress and the transportation. FH and I are taking care of everything else, which is the majority of it. His Mom isn't contributing at all. So yes, my folks do get to call some shots when it comes to the guest list, and Mom refuses to cut any family, even if we haven't seen them for 15-20 years. There are some cousins I've never even met who are now in their 20s, who are invited! As for wedding colours, they're changed, dresses are ordered and invites are all made and stuffd into envelopes, so we can't change the colours now. In Response to Re: Moms :
    Posted by Alesha1978[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it be money = strings and in your case, your parents are footing the majority of the costs which means their say is final.  You have three options: 1. Decline ALL of your parents' money any pay for everything yourself.  2. Accept that this is how everything is.  3. Try talking to your mom (maybe quietly enlisting your dad's help) and  getting her to understand that she already had her wedding and now you want yours.

She may be from a generation who did not get to have any say in their weddings because the MOB was responsible for planning the whole thing.  My mom never got to plan a single wedding because her mother controlled hers and my mom wanted my brothers and me to plan the weddings we wanted. 

She may also be looking at this as a payback wedding like my MIL did with my SIL's wedding.  Her thought process was that she had given shower and wedding gifts for decades to family and the children of her friends and damn if she wasn't going to have every last one of them do the same for her daughter.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I agree, they shouldn't have say over things like our wedding party, but my folks have had a great deal of control over me for well, 35 years now. I hate to disappoint them, and Mom has a way of making me feel very small. I've actually been seeing a psychologist about this, and am learning to take a stand against them in a nice way.

FH is very excited about moving into my place, and is hoping to move in sooner than we had originally planned. Honestly, we were basing it around when his work hours slowed down to a normal pace instead of the 16 hour days he's been putting in. While I'm quiet about voicing an opinion, I'm at least able to voice one to his Mom. I won't lie though, I am worried about how much she depends on him, and what that will entail in the future. I agree about him laying down boundaries though, as she still treats him like he is much, much younger than he is. I should also say that he hasn't always lived there; he lived for years on his own in the States while going to school, and moved into his Mom's suite upon coming back to Canada.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:1c725f4b-8841-4d72-905b-e6a5cd332546Post:84f46ecc-4e4f-47a5-a69c-968148e7d9b2">Re: Moms</a>:
    [QUOTE]You both need to learn to tell your parents "no".  If your parents are paying for the food, then they have some say over the food- not your guest list, not your wedding colors, and not your wedding party.  Don't leave a good friend out of the wedding just because your mom is unreasonable. That a 43-year-old man won't move out of his mom's house because she doesn't want him to is very troubling.  If the two of you agree that it would be better for him to move out earlier, then that's what he should do.  Are you going to live the rest of your lives based on what his mother wants?  Do you think the manipulation is going to stop once he moves out?  He needs to start drawing boundaries with her now so she understands that he's an adult and can make his own decisions in life.
    Posted by renegade gaucho[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh God no! I like my FMIL, and would like to continue liking her. She's pretty desperate for us to move in with her, but FH and I have already decided that that isn't in our best interest. She is talking with one of her girlfriends about getting a place together with her, but I honestly don't know if she will. She's been in her house for 43 years, has had a lot of memories there, and I honestly don't think she wants to move at all. I will need to talk to FH more about this, and what we will do if she asks to move in with us. FH has mentioned looking for a house in the same area he lives in now, and I do love that area, but a little distance might be a really good thing.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:1c725f4b-8841-4d72-905b-e6a5cd332546Post:0f981d87-da44-40cc-89c0-17df940ea643">Re: Moms</a>:
    [QUOTE]My MIL would suggest things after we already put deposits down and made decisions. It happens. For your FMIL, you will have to start "bean dipping" her. For examples: FMIL: Hey, Aunt Suzie's daughter got married at this chapel down the street from here. You should get married there. You: We already picked out the ceremony venue. This bean dip is delicious. Do you want any? FMIL: There is the other chapel on the other side of town that is beautiful for your wedding. You: What is the recipe for this bean dip. It is quite delicious. Your FMIL can suggest different venues, but you don't need to change your plans. However, my concern is your FMIL situation. Where is she moving after the wedding? What happens if she can't find anything?  Would she be moving in with you and your husband? Based on what you have describe about your FMIL, she may want to live with you since she depends on her son that much. You need to have a discussion with your FH before any post-wedding decisions are made.
    Posted by ladytori[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MissMollyMissMolly member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    You hit the nail on the head, GLB! My Mom's MIL planned my parents' entire wedding, down to who was in the wedding party. Mom didn't even get to choose her BMs! The thing that gets me is that Mom has <em>always</em> said that when it comes to both of her daughters' weddings, she refuses to interfere with what they want because she didn't have any say in her own wedding. I don't know if she had this much say in my sister's wedding 12.5 years ago, but man, does she have control of a good chunk of this one! She calls me stupid quite often, so it doesn't really phase me anymore, but when she lumped FH in with the comment of "are you guys stupid?" in regards to having a groomswoman, that ticked me off a bit. FH is an astrophysicist for goodness sake, stupid is <u>so</u> far from what he is!

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, it's 1 day, and as long as Mom is happy and having a good time, then that will make me happy.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:1c725f4b-8841-4d72-905b-e6a5cd332546Post:beb936b5-1c60-40b6-9929-c250d9eb62c5">Re: Moms</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moms : I hate to say it be money = strings and in your case, your parents are footing the majority of the costs which means their say is final.  You have three options: 1. Decline ALL of your parents' money any pay for everything yourself.  2. Accept that this is how everything is.  3. Try talking to your mom (maybe quietly enlisting your dad's help) and  getting her to understand that she already had her wedding and now you want yours. She may be from a generation who did not get to have any say in their weddings because the MOB was responsible for planning the whole thing.  My mom never got to plan a single wedding because her mother controlled hers and my mom wanted my brothers and me to plan the weddings we wanted.  She may also be looking at this as a payback wedding like my MIL did with my SIL's wedding.  Her thought process was that she had given shower and wedding gifts for decades to family and the children of her friends and damn if she wasn't going to have every last one of them do the same for her daughter.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards