Moms and Maids
Options

Colors: Blue/Green/Yellow/White... Mom in FUSCHIA PINK?

Hi Ladies,

I am planning an August 2013 elegant summer wedding. My bridesmaids are in a jade blue/green dress, with the maid of honor in more of a minty green color, all of the styles are up to them. The flowers (bouquets and centerpieces) are all yellow and white. I asked my mom, stepmom, and future mother in law to try for complimenting colors, staying in the blue, green, even pale yellow family, the shade is entirely up to them.

I've considered myself to be a pretty relaxed and flexible bride, really not that picky. However, my heart sank a bit today when my mom informed me that she wants to wear FUSCHIA PINK. Apparently she brought the blue/green swatches to a store, and the sales lady 100% advised that she goes with a bright, contrasting color, and now my mom 100% agrees. My mom's heart is really set on it, and I'm just not sure what to do or how to react. I'm sure it will looks very nice, but I keep envisioning our photos and everything being overshadowed by a bright pink dress...

Am I over-reacting? Any advice/opinions are welcome!

Re: Colors: Blue/Green/Yellow/White... Mom in FUSCHIA PINK?

• Options
    You do not get to dictate what guests wear, even your mother. If she's excited, be excited for her; at least she'll be in a dress she's pumped about and looks great in.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_colors-bluegreenyellowwhite-mom-in-fuschia-pink?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8bd0c8d6-a78e-4d4d-bec3-292896849571Post:5936e0e2-d861-49cf-93b7-e8ad27735f65">Colors: Blue/Green/Yellow/White... Mom in FUSCHIA PINK?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, I am planning an August 2013 elegant summer wedding. My bridesmaids are in a jade blue/green dress, with the maid of honor in more of a minty green color, all of the styles are up to them. The flowers (bouquets and centerpieces) are all yellow and white. I asked my mom, stepmom, and future mother in law to try for complimenting colors, staying in the blue, green, even pale yellow family, the shade is entirely up to them. I've considered myself to be a pretty relaxed and flexible bride, really not that picky. However, my heart sank a bit today when my mom informed me that she wants to wear FUSCHIA PINK. Apparently she brought the blue/green swatches to a store, and the sales lady 100% advised that she goes with a bright, contrasting color, and now my mom 100% agrees. My mom's heart is really set on it, and I'm just not sure what to do or how to react. I'm sure it will looks very nice, but I keep envisioning our photos and everything being overshadowed by a bright pink dress... Am I over-reacting? Any advice/opinions are welcome!
    Posted by jmkiwedding[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are over-reacting. Parents wear whatever they want. Nobody ever overshadows the bride, in person or in pictures. As Mandi said, she's pumped, which should make you pleased.
  • Options
    yes you are over-reacting.  You asked for complimenting color, and pink does go well with your colors--but even besides the point you can't really say what they can and cannot wear.  Let your mom where what she feels good in.  I promise you no one will mistake her for the bride nor will her bright pink dress take attention from you-- YOU are the bride, you will get plenty of attention. Let your mom wear what she wants and pick your battles.  If she looks bad it will reflect on her, not you.   

Anniversary
  • Options
    Yes, you're overreacting. You get no say in the attire of anyone but the WP (BMs and GMs). So unless the mothers are in the WP, you can't dictate what they wear. You really shouldn't had even told them to find complimentary colors. They can wear whatever they like and feel comfortable in.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Snort
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Sorry, the mothers are people, with feelings. They are not accessories to your wedding decor. The mothers and grandmothers don't have to match or complement each other, your wedding party, your floral arrangements or favors. To suggest that your mother's dress might ruin your photos is extremely insulting.

What should you do? Tell your mom that you love the dress she picked out and you're sure she will look fantastic in it. Tell the other moms that you're sure whatever they pick to wear will be perfect for them. It's not appropriate for you to dictate colors for them.

• Options
    Better pink than white.

Chill out and tell mom you're sure she'll look lovely.
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    I think pink will look great with your colors.  and unless you have sisters as BMs your mom won't even be in any photos with the BMs.  Take a deep breath and realize this doesn't matter even a little bit.  Also call up FMIL and apoloize for directing her and let her know she can wear whatever color she wants.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I don't understand the problem. Yes, you are over reacting.  
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Yep, you are definitely overreacting.  FWIW, our wedding colors were blue and yellow, and my mom wore a fuschia dress.  She looked awesome!
  • Options
    You let your mother dress herself, all big-girl like.  You know, since she's a big girl n stuff.  She's not 6, nor a barbie, and therefore has an inherant right to look bad or good on her own terms.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    My flowers were all fuschia pink with bright green berries in them. My inlaws, knowing this, chose brick red for her dress/his tie. Yes, they clashed in the photos. It really wasn't a big deal. I didn't even really think about it until I saw everything coming together and realized "opps, the corsage and bout look really bad with their clothes" - but it didn't bother me, and they were happy with what they wore so that's what mattered. You need to focus on other things. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards