Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

The Wedding Rings

The wedding ring must be worn on the left hand ring finger.

The wedding ring has been worn on the left hand ring finger since Roman times, when according to The Knot, they believed this finger 's vein ran directly to the heart, known as the "vein of love". Although we now know this is not true, the tradition continues. Prior to this belief, the ring was actually worn on the index finger. Some European cultures use the right hand for the wedding band while others use the left for the engagement ring and the right for the wedding band. Couples have traditionally exchanged rings for thousands of years as the circle is a symbol of everlasting love. Egyptians in approximately 3000 BC described the wedding ring as a symbol of "without beginning, without end". Originally made of hemp which needed constant replacement, and then iron by the Romans, gold is now the most oft used material for wedding bands. Italians first used diamonds, who believed it was created by the flames of love.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The Wedding Rings

• Well, at least you're not busy giving out bad etiquette advice.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-wedding-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:27bae3ff-9987-4a24-a92d-3128028ae6b7Post:d1065320-8472-4b0b-be71-5fb68175a148">The Wedding Rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]The wedding ring must be worn on the left hand ring finger. The wedding ring has been worn on the left hand ring finger since Roman times, when according to The Knot, they believed this finger 's vein ran directly to the heart, known as the "vein of love". Although we now know this is not true, the tradition continues. Prior to this belief, the ring was actually worn on the index finger. Some European cultures use the right hand for the wedding band while others use the left for the engagement ring and the right for the wedding band. Couples have traditionally exchanged rings for thousands of years as the circle is a symbol of everlasting love. Egyptians in approximately 3000 BC described the wedding ring as a symbol of "without beginning, without end". Originally made of hemp which needed constant replacement, and then iron by the Romans, gold is now the most oft used material for wedding bands. Italians first used diamonds, who believed it was created by the flames of love.
    Posted by mrsbobfilson[/QUOTE]
    For posterity.

• vanityinkvanityink member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013

ETA: I wish I had a "Like" button for Schatzi

photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • "Some European cultures use the right hand for the wedding band while others use the left for the engagement ring and the right for the wedding band."

Um... if you're going to do some awkward and weird public service announcement, at least have your information correct.  You have the hands backwards.  In Europe it is common to wear the engagement ring on the right hand, and the wedding band on the left.  They are closer to Roman tradition than the USA is.

So... thanks for the crazy?

•  "Some European cultures use the right hand for the wedding band while others use the left for the engagement ring and the right for the wedding band. "

Um... if you are going to do an awkward and unprompted public service announcement, at least have the information correct.  It is common in Europe to wear the engagement ring on the right hand and the wedding band on the left.  They aren't some weird alien culture that is completely backwards to the USA.  

So....... thanks for the crazy?

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I thought it was a very nice story.

:::shrug::::
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsbobfilsonmrsbobfilson member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    thought it was neat so i posted it under customs and traditions knowing full well there is always that one who has to say something. i have a book of wedding etiquette and when i give my humble advise I try to be right.If for whatever reason I have upset you I apologize I use these boards to learn and help if I can.Never just to put someone down out of nowhere.. Check all my posts you will find that is true.I am against cyber bullying regarding of the age of the bully. Learn to be nicer to others,its never to late to change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Learned a new one today: a bride walks on her fathers left side so that if he needed to defend her, his right hand was ready to pull out his sword. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I also thought this was a nice story. 

My FI will wear his wedding band on his right hand because he is left handed and is an engineer, so he wears his engineering ring on his left pinky and does not want that ring to scratch his wedding band. Fine by me! Some people opt not to wear a band at all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards