Getting in Shape
Options

Cocoa Coconut "Pots de Creme" recipe

Hey guys,
So as mentioned on the cocout oil thread this is the recipe I meant to post. It's a recipe for "Cacao almond butter fudge cups" but the freezing didn't work for me. So what I have done about a million times since (that's how often I make this recipe) is that I pour it into small ramekins and chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours and the result is a delicious, silky smooth coconut and chocolate flavoured cream. It's Paleo-friendly, gluten-free and vegan!

My notes:
1. I use honey instead of maple syrup since that's what I tend to have on hand, and I usually put in a bit less than called for especially if using a dark honey which has a stronger flavour.
2. I have used almond and cashew butters before, all work great, as would hazelnut or macadamia, I imagine. Don't use peanut butter though! I never have but I'm imagining the taste might be funny with the coconut.
3. This thing is suuuuuper filling! I pour it into small ramekins and that makes it a great dessert after a light meal. I've also poured it into shot glasses to jazz it up for company (but also for portion control).

ETA: the Native Forest and Aroy-D brands of coconut milk are BPA-free so that's what I use.

Re: Cocoa Coconut "Pots de Creme" recipe

• Options
    Also a note for anybody who doesn't use coconut milk much: the thing can sometimes separate. So make sure you dump it out of the can and give it a good stir to reincorporate it before using it in the recipe. I almost always use the full-fat cocout milk but I have used Thai Kitchen light milk before and it worked just as well in terms of "creamifying." Can't speak for other brands, though.
  • Options
    Pic of my end result (I believe this was with the light milk, usually there are no air bubbles with the full-fat):

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cocoa-coconut-pots-de-creme-recipe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:13cf14ad-1699-4121-9cf9-3fcdd417aa0dPost:c1fac6d2-8403-4be8-875a-e31282033d1d">Re: Cocoa Coconut "Pots de Creme" recipe</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for sharing! I'm willing to bet peanut butter would be good too. I make curry with peanut butter and coconut milk and it is a good combo, so I don't see why it wouldn't translate into dessert.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed. But I think that with the coconut milk, cocoa, and a dark maple syrup or honey it would just be a tad too much going on. The almond butter you can't really taste at all (hence why I think the original recipe is flawed in concept and execution - there's nothing "nut butter cuppy" about it) - it's just used mostly for texture.</div>
  • Options
    oh funny! I have totally made these before! H looooves them. Not as much as my weirdo chocolate mousse, but he often asks when I'm going to make them again. yum! 
  • Options
    thanks! can't wait to try!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards