Getting in Shape
Options

Can I handle p90x?

I know nothing about it besides the fact that it says Insanity which scares me, a friend wants me to start this with her and while I love the accountability part am I too out of shape to do it? I don't want to hold her back, she is a work out rock star.
I am about 30 lbs over weight which may not sound huge but at my height it means I should lose at least 20% of my body weight to feel and look better. I don't exercise much, water aerobics 3x a week is about it.
I really really want to lose weight to rock the dress but also feel better about myself and in general. Is this going to make me feel worse about myself or will I be able to fake it till I make it?
Just realized I sound like a whiny, scared, procrastinating baby, opposite of who I want to be at 46 years old and marrying the best guy ever. Help.

Re: Can I handle p90x?

• Options
    It may be a little intense to start with - I recommend upping your overall weekly cardio a bit before you dive into a program like this.
  • Options
    As PPs have said it is definitely hard. If you aren't used to the high intensity you'll find it very difficult.

Another suggestion might be to just familiarize yourself with all the moves that are done. For example, watch the video and instead of doing it at the pace they are doing it - get used to do those moves (for example, lunges). If there a quick transition - get used to transitioning slowly then work into the vide when you are more comfortable.

Just don't get discouraged! It will be hard, and challenging and there will be times you want to quit but just keep pushing through - even if you can't keep up with the video. The more you do it the better you'll get.
  • Options
    I'm glad you brought this up- thanks. 
    I was also looking into purchasing it or Insanity, and I wasn't sure either.  It still sounds like it might be too much for me, though I am now sure I'm getting closer :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    Kwitherington, I would love the fit test, thanks.
    I think I'm going to at least bump up my intensity and the amount of times I work out, I really ned to do that anyway.
    She wants to start May 1 and said she's going to go all in and whenever I want to jump in we can motivate and make fun of each other.
    Thanks for the advice, ideas and support, I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    I started Insanity about 3 weeks ago. It hurt so bad. It hasn't gotten any easier, but I definitely see results.
  • Options
    Wait- you said p90x in the title but Insanity in your post.  Which are you considering? (Or both?)

I've done p90x twice now and it isn't that bad if you can put your mind over matter.  Now, Insanity, I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I cleared up the p90x/insanity question. My friend had been doing insanity but wants me to do p90x with her. Because she had mentioned both and I combined them in my head (and this post).
    I'm scared and excited, I'm going to try it.
  • Options
    p90x is awesome, just remember to take water breaks when you need and do NOT worry about going as fast as him in the video-you can burn out and lose form (and thus risk injury) in doing so if you aren't used to this kind of workout.  speed and less breaks will come as you get stronger.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You can handle the workouts both Insanity and P90x.  Will they be hard? Yes?  Will you be sore for days?  Absolutly!  But both are designed so that you just do your best.  You don't have to keep up with the instrucotrs, in fact some of the peope in Insanity have to take breaks!   There will be modified movements in both exercise programs.  Push yourself, hold yourself accountable, and keep at it and you WILL see results I promise that!  My only caution would be that Insanity is very hard on the knees so be careful with your form.  You could start off with something easier like a 30 day shred to get yourself in shape, but thats 30 days that you could have been pushing yourself hard and saw the results faster.  :)
    If you have the will power, I say go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards