Registry and Gift Forum

Huge Macy's sale and registry

I have registered for most of what I plan to register for and my wedding is not until September. I was looking at my Macy's registry today and the comforter I added was reduced from $700 to $264 (this was a queen sized Hotel Collection down comforter). And that's not the only item. Most of my items are greatly reduced. 

What's the deal with that?  I feel like it would be really unfortunate for someone to pay $700 for this when I could buy it now for $264. That's a really, really big price difference. Same for many of my other items. 

Does anyone know about Macy's sales and how they cycle them through? I obviously can't write my guests and be like "THERE'S A HUGE SALE, BUY NOW!!" but it's so wild how much the prices vary.

Thoughts?

Re: Huge Macy's sale and registry

• Macy's has this particular sale quarterly.  There will another just like it in three months, and then another like it in 3 more months, etc.

They also have standard sales nearly every weekend.  They also have special sales around every holiday and 25% off red sales several times a year.  There is always one of those in August.

Yes the price fluctuations can be a bit annoying, but I promise you that Macys shoppers know to wait for a sale.  We registered at Macy's, and all but about 3 things were bought while on sale.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for your assurances! I am not as familiar with Macy's as I have not bought many home goods up to this point in life (or at least not higher quality ones) but I definitely know how to shope the sales for other stores! Thanks again! 
  • I might get yelled at for this, but personally if you can afford it I'd go ahead and buy that for yourself now. That is a GREAT deal and even though Macys does have sales often, you can't guarantee what their inventory will be. So long as there's plenty of other options on your registry, I would just buy it and remove it. I say remove it- as in not let it show that it's been purchased by someone else, I would think that's a little weird. Again, I'm not saying this is the MOST PC thing to do, but if you like it that much and don't want to risk someone else paying 3X as much for it, I say go for it!
  • I hate my Macy's registry. Everything goes on rotating sale, but the "sale" price is usually what the item sells for at Bed Bath and Beyond every day. The selection of kitchen items isn't great (although the bedding and towel selection is nice), and things seem to become "unavailable for online purchase" quite often. I was bullied into starting a Macy's registry for one side of our guest list as there isn't a Bed Bath and Beyond near them -- I wish I hadn't done it!
  • As a shower guest, I would watch for the sales.  I'm one of those people that will check out your registry the second I catch wind of where you're registered.  Then I wait for the sales and buy away.  For a friend's shower my H, my SIL, and I went in on a $300+ cookware set, but I got it for $180 because I waited for the sale.  Keep in mind that a lot of people don't do this. You'll find that most guests purchase within the week of your shower.  It's on them if they want to pay the regular price. 
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_huge-macys-sale-and-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d958d5b1-1cd6-4d32-9ff0-5fd39a1bb603Post:1093e339-7586-4d4a-a106-a6dcd793bdba">Re: Huge Macy's sale and registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate my Macy's registry. Everything goes on rotating sale, but the "sale" price is usually what the item sells for at Bed Bath and Beyond every day. The selection of kitchen items isn't great (although the bedding and towel selection is nice), and things seem to become "unavailable for online purchase" quite often. I was bullied into starting a Macy's registry for one side of our guest list as there isn't a Bed Bath and Beyond near them -- I wish I hadn't done it!
    Posted by UberClaire[/QUOTE]

<div>I disagree.  I track sales from my favorite stores so that I know when to buy, and I've tracked Macy's sales for a few years now.  Right now my Lenox china is cheaper at Macy's than BBB, you get a rebate with it that makes it even cheaper, and you get 2 free soup bowls with a $150 Lenox purchase.  The soup bowls retail for $56 each.  This particular deal happens relatively often, and Macy's is the only store that does it that I've ever been able to find.  Maybe 1/3 of the time items aren't on sale at Macy's.  But the other 2/3 of the time they match or beat BBB.</div><div>
    </div><div> People register at BBB because of the coupons, but most bridal brands are excluded from the coupons so that becomes irrelevant. BBB's completion discount is the same as Macy's, and the only thing they do better than Macy's is returns.  Macy's has a better rewards program for the couple, because they essentially give you cash back on purchases your guests make - as I've posted before, FI and I currently have about $175 in gift cards from our Macy's registry rewards.</div><div>
    </div><div>Honestly if you hate it so much that's fine - but I think it's silly that you would register at a store you don't like.  Nobody can make you do it, and you are providing that store with hundreds (thousands?) of dollars worth of sales for your wedding alone.  I really believe people should register with stores that they are happy to do business with.  But that's just me.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_huge-macys-sale-and-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d958d5b1-1cd6-4d32-9ff0-5fd39a1bb603Post:1093e339-7586-4d4a-a106-a6dcd793bdba">Re: Huge Macy's sale and registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate my Macy's registry. Everything goes on rotating sale, but the "sale" price is usually what the item sells for at Bed Bath and Beyond every day. The selection of kitchen items isn't great (although the bedding and towel selection is nice), and things seem to become "unavailable for online purchase" quite often. I was bullied into starting a Macy's registry for one side of our guest list as there isn't a Bed Bath and Beyond near them -- I wish I hadn't done it!
    Posted by UberClaire[/QUOTE]

<div>We had a very different experience with our Macy's registry.  Like hoffse said, many items actually are cheaper at Macy's than at BBB.  Our Macy's also has an excellent selection of kitchen items.  Sorry you had a bad experience, but I'm so glad that we did register at Macy's.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_huge-macys-sale-and-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d958d5b1-1cd6-4d32-9ff0-5fd39a1bb603Post:398d290e-3bd1-4194-8680-570294f68e4d">Re: Huge Macy's sale and registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I might get yelled at for this, but personally if you can afford it I'd go ahead and buy that for yourself now. That is a GREAT deal and even though Macys does have sales often, you can't guarantee what their inventory will be. So long as there's plenty of other options on your registry, I would just buy it and remove it. <strong>I say remove it- as in not let it show that it's been purchased by someone else, I would think that's a little weird</strong>. Again, I'm not saying this is the MOST PC thing to do, but if you like it that much and don't want to risk someone else paying 3X as much for it, I say go for it!
    Posted by lisabeats[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That would be foolish - if it's purchased off the registry and marked as purchased then she gets 5% of the cost back in her registry star gift card after the wedding - if you remove the item from your registry, you have voided that particular reward. Plus no one would know she bought it herself. I bought my own vacuum two day after my wedding and found this out from the sales person. I'd rather have $13 than feel self concious over something trivial that NO ONE would think about.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love my Macy's registry. Like other posters have said, their deals on China, stemware, silverware, things like that cannot be matched by any other retailer. My china currently has buy a place setting and get a soup bowl free ($63). I have seen it buy 3 place settings/stemware/silverware, get one free. Also the 5% back on a Macy's giftcard cannot be beat. I have been really disappointed in the customer service I have recieved at BBB, they have been really pushy with me the times I have gone in, while I know this does not happen at every BBB I can only speak from my experience. I basically had to get loud to get the sales people to stop pressuring me to add certain high ticket items to my registry, like a dyson and a stand mixer, both of which I alread own. I have never been pressured at Macy's into anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards