Moms and Maids
Options

Update on My Bridesmaid

We got to chat for about two and a half hours on Thursday night. Her tests came back negative for everything they searched for - so no Lyme Disease, no cancer, no heart issues, no MS, no blood clots, no strokes, nothing. She got a clean bill of health.

We will likely never know what happened to cause her symptoms. They were completely gone as of Monday the 25th. She had a follow-up appointment on Wednesday with a very arrogant and condescending neurologist who insisted that it was a panic attack and that "it must be a hard diagnosis to hear, but I'll write a prescription for the necessary psychiatric help." Then this lady begrudgingly admitted that "the only other possibility" was that she was physically overworked and got some kind of spring virus, which shut her body down when she was trying to fight it off.

The thing is, I've seen my friend have panic attacks in years past, and she NEVER had those symptoms back then. She also has not had nearly that much anxiety in her life in a very long time.

So she and I are both willing to bet that what happened to her was a combination of these two suggestions - she was dealing with a delayed fear reaction to almost losing her dad back in November, and she probably came down with the flu after her husband got it early this month, and she didn't have the physical capacity to fight it off. This we can understand. But all one or all the other... we don't buy that.

The point is, she's improving every day and has not been hit with anything life-altering, for which I am most grateful. Thanks to all of you again for sending good thoughts her way.

Re: Update on My Bridesmaid

• Options
    I hate condescending doctors, they discourage people from seeking medical help.

I'm glad she's doing better.  Kudos to you for being so supportive of her!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    That neuro sounds like an idiot. She should definitely get a second opinion just to be on the safe side.

Glad to hear that she is doing better though!

• Options
    Yeah, I don't know what it is about neurologists specifically that turns them so mean. When my youngest brother had to have several appointments back when we were kids... they were all just awful to him and to my mom.

Silly me; I always thought they got into those professions because of a genuine desire to help people. Oh well.

Obviously I intend to keep a close eye on my friend, and hope that she continues to take things one day at a time. As far as getting a second opinion goes, I think this biyotch neurologist was the second opinion - possibly even the third or fourth by this stage of the game. She's had to go in for so many different things lately that it makes my head spin.

I think my poor friend has seen too many episodes of "Bridezillas," though. When she first got sick, she actually told me, "I'm so so sorry, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to your bridal shower! I hope you don't mind... I could still get my husband to drive me if need be!" Nothing about how uncomfortable or worried she was; I had to get that out of her by asking. It made me sad that she was honestly concerned I might be offended that - gasp! - she would have to miss my shower because she had the temerity to fall ill. Have so many brides and grooms really gotten that out of control, that this type of worry for a bridesmaid is understandable?
  • Options
    My mom went to a local ENT doctor in December because she lost almost all her hearing in one ear in a matter of months. He told her repeatedly it was just old age and refused additional testing. she went to his partner who, to passify my mom, sent her for a scan. Oh what's that? A BRAIN TUMOR pressing on her inner ear drum. Luckily, it's benign. She's having the brain surgery to remove it at one of the best facilities on the east coast 3 weeks after our wedding. Definitely agree with PP's, that neurologist is a jerk and a second opinion is definitely in order!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yikes; that's seriously scary, rlmarroc! I'm glad they caught it and she's going to have the best care possible.

My friend has mentioned that lately she has had a couple of small headaches, and each time she does, she feels just a tiny bit of the numbness in part of her face. She has since received a new diagnosis (thankfully from a different source than the jerk neurologist) of atypical migraines. Much better to hear than any of the things we thought it might be.

Here's to hoping that good news continues!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards