Getting in Shape
Options

Disney Princess Half Marathon!

My cousins and I are seriously talking about running the Disney Princess half marathon next year, and I thought I'd check and see if any of you gals have done it! Any insight?

Also, any good resources out there for training for a half marathon? This will definitely be a stretch for me, but I'm the kind of person that needs a goal, so I think it will be good (especially after the wedding is over!). I'm not really concerned about the actual running part so much as just like - do I need to wear a water pack or carry energy gel/food with me for that kind of distance? Or not really? I know nothing about medium-distance running :) HELP!

Meanwhile, my costume plot is all set - purple sports bra, green running leggings, and green shoes - maybe some clamshells - and I will be Ariel!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Disney Princess Half Marathon!

• Options
    I have a half marathon in three weeks, and yes, you will probably need that stuff. Anything over an hour pretty much necessitates it. Which is why there are water and food stations all along the course. Especially if you are just starting out. Of course, that's something you'll build into the program like increasing your distance each week. Hal Higdon does have a great program, so that's one to check out. Runners World has a few too. I dont' know your running ability, so I can really only give you general references. I'd also check out running with a running group, or finding some kind of group training if you don't have people to regularly run with. I found that to be a huge motivator. :)

I should also mention that I figured all this out while training for a half Ironman, so it may be a bit much for just a run. It's my routine, so I'm sticking with it during my half marathon race.

How much and what to take is really up to the runner. I run with a belt with two small waterbottles. I found I hated carrying something in my hand when running, so a belt worked best for me. I also carry a pocket full of shot blocks. But, I like those. They are like big gummy bears (in block shape). I take half a block and a swig of Gatorade every 20-30 min. But that came with a lot of trial and error. I tried at 15min intervals and that was too quick, I got a stomach ache. I tried at 45 minute intervals and that was too long. I tried a full block and mouth full of water at 30 min, that was too much. It all comes with trial and error, till you find what works for you. Also, try differnt kinds of sports stuff. Some people love the sports beans (think jelly beans), my FI loves the honey waffers, some like Gu. Buy one of each and try a different one each long run till you find one that works. Or, gamble that you'll just eat/drink whatever is available on the course.

Isn't that race in like February? So you'll have plenty of time to figure out what works for you.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    TO ease drop.. Any recs for a water belt? 
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! Yes, it IS in February - giving us lots of time to train! My only official race has been a 5K, so this is definitely a stretch. The Disney people provide a training guide, but I just can't take anything that has Daffy Duck on it that seriously. I will check out Hal's plan! I've just gotten into chia seeds, and I hear runners swear by them, so maybe I'll try making a chia-goo for mid-run snacking.

Of course, registration hasn't even opened yet, so we might all change our minds by then. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ophelia.. you're vegan and just now getting into chia?!! You cray, girl.. you cray ;) 

Do you eat Maca powder? I add it to my post work out shakes all the time to aid in recovery. 

• Options
    I KNOW. I'm the worst! I pretty much was actively not trying it. But then I did, and my life is forever changed. The end.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hahaha awesome. I'm still trying to find ways to sneak spirulina powder in my diet.. It's so nasty by itself.. I added water and chia to it thinking that it would be better.. nope. turned into green goop. naaassstttyyy... *sigh* maybe I'll stick to the kelp supplement.. lol
  • Options
    The ONLY way I can handle it is in a smoothie with a LOT of other stuff. I'd rather just eat seaweed salad every day! Omg. That would be amazing.

I have not tried Maca powder. What does it do?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    heck yes. Seaweed salad. Every day. That would be amazing. 

Maca is an adaptogen. It aids the regeneration of adrenal glands and muscle tissue, so it helps with a quicker recovery time. Since it helps with the adrenal gland, it means it helps lower cortisol levels (ie, stress levels, whether that's emotional or physical). 
    It's just a overall great add-in to things. My muscles never stay sore longer than a day, and I know it's because of my being diligent with maca. I always just throw it in my oatmeal with cinnamon, flax, and chia. It's a little nutty and I'm not crazy about it (which is why I mask it with cinnamon) but it's not bad. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the intel, Liatris!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards