Getting in Shape
Options

Question for Runners

Hi girls-

I am currently training for a 10k that I will run on May 11th.  I'm still a novice, I've run a few 5ks, but that's about it.  I am running 3 times per week and cross training 2 times per week.  My runs during the week are 3-4 miles, and my longer runs are Saturdays, this week will be 5 miles.  I feel like I'm doing ok, my pace is generally around the 9:30 per mile mark, give or take 5-10 seconds.

I have two questions:

When I'm running, my lower back tends to tighten up.  Do you have any thoughts or ideas on how to prevent that or ease the pain?

What are some effective tips for picking up my pace just a smidge?  I'd like to be closer to the 9 min mile mark by race day, I have a month to do it.  Is it a longer stride?  Faster steps? 

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Meddied since 6/15/13!

Re: Question for Runners

• Options
    For the lower back, I'd check your posture.  There are two likely culprits.  One is that you're not properly engaging your abs to stabilize your core, so the brunt of the stabilizing is falling to your lower back. 

If you're actively engaging your abs, your posture might suck.  I like this article about it: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form

The best way to increase your pace/speed is to do speed work.  Here is an article with a bunch of suggestions: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/speedwork-for-every-runner/167.html

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Thanks for the links!  Much appreciated!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    The abs are often to blame with lower back issues. Are you sucking in the tummy? When you don't keep your abs tight, you tend to let them stick out, which pushes your back forward, putting added pressure on your lower back! 
  • Options
    Ditto J&K on the speed work. Another thing you might want to consider in relation to low back tightness is your flexibility. You may have tight hipflexors which is causing some lower back tension.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/4-ways-to-stretch-your-hip-flexor.html

Check out these stretches. There are many video's or picture tutorials on how to properly stretch them.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Brittany makes a great point. I have issues with my iliopsoas. That's kinda the "inner" ab muscle.. When I run a lot, it tightens up, causing my hip flexors to tighten up, causing my lower back to hurt a LOT. It took me YEARS to figure out that was my problem. 

Yoga has reeeallly helped me. 
  • Options
    In addition to everything PPs have said, what type of shoes are you wearing?  Improper running sneakers can make your shins, knees, hips, back, everything hurt.  Is there a running store near you that has one of those mats you step on to see how you distribute your weight to make sure that your sneakers are right for you?  I know that when I switched my running sneakers to something better for my body I started to have less back and knee pain.

• Options
    Thank you all for the ideas and advice! 

What I'm thinking after reading through the links and your thoughts is that my problem is probably three-fold.  1-I definitely find myself looking at the ground when I'm running- a lot.  I need to work on my posture big time.  2-My core is relatively strong, but I can step up my exercises in that area and see if that helps.  3-I am the most in-flexible person on the planet.  I must admit, I totally slack in the stretching area, and loathe yoga.  My trainer has tested my flexibility on that horrid sit-and-reach box, yeah, not even close.  Perhaps I'll try to work some yoga in and do more foam rolling too. 

@kaos-We are very lucky in my area and there are a couple of great running outfitters to choose from.  I'm running in New Balance at the moment.  My left foot pronates a tad, so it's got good all-around support.  They are a bit heavy, but I've had no knee pain, nor any shin splints, so I'm a happy girl. 

It's absolutely POURING outside, so it's looking like a treadmill day for me. 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    Regardless of how strong your abs are, if you're not actively engaging them, they're not going to do you much good. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I'm half distracted so i apologize if someone already recommended this, but my low back pain was 100% related to the fact that I was heel striking (landing on my heels instead of my midfoot).  Correcting it took a) a lot of attention to where I was landing b) buying a more minimalist shoe 3) shortening my stride.

In terms of time, I'd warn against lengthening your stride, that tends to cause problems.  Shorter faster strides tends to be safer.  Hope that helps a little and welcome!
  • Options
    Hello... lower back pain in runners = tight hamstrings.  I was glad to see that you are aware that you are not flexible... be sure to stretch quads first, then hammies then calves before you run and after as well. 

My physical therapist also had me doing cobra-like stretches, 10x at least twice a day, and that loosened up my lower back. 

For gaining a bit of speed, you could try do to some traditional speedwork or simply pick up the pace for the bulk of your run.  Stick with "gently pushing" the tempo so you are working a bit harder yet can still cover the distance.  It takes a little while to figure out the pace. 

Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Not a runner but want to add on to Giaspo and Xcaly and emphasize the importance of stretching after. A quick stretch before will help you loosen up but longer stretching after (holding each stretch for 30 seconds, especially yoga-like stretches rather than your standard standing quad stretch) is what allow you to actually increase your flexibility over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards