Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How long did it take you to find the dress?

I am going this weekend to hopefully just look and see what I like with my MOH. My mom isn't able to go even though she told me to wait anyway because I am trying to lose 20 pounds. We are going to go to Davids Bridal. I am a little worried though because I am not planning on purchasing a dress that day. Do they get mad and annoyed when someone comes in with an appointment to do that? If worse comes to worse, I will do the layaway and put money down so I don't lose much money. I want my mom there when I do end up buying a dress but I have no idea what kind of dress I even want which is why I am going. I am tall so options online may not look good on me but I really don't wanna go if they get mad if I don't buy. Maybe I am over reacting but...

Re: How long did it take you to find the dress?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-long-did-it-take-you-to-find-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3dc09565-823f-4594-bde1-e99bd0adeb25Post:d91971c2-b72f-4b3a-b12b-a8cb6ce08a25">How long did it take you to find the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going this weekend to hopefully just look and see what I like with my MOH. My mom isn't able to go even though she told me to wait anyway because I am trying to lose 20 pounds. We are going to go to Davids Bridal. I am a little worried though because I am not planning on purchasing a dress that day. Do they get mad and annoyed when someone comes in with an appointment to do that? If worse comes to worse, I will do the layaway and put money down so I don't lose much money. I want my mom there when I do end up buying a dress but I have no idea what kind of dress I even want which is why I am going. I am tall so options online may not look good on me but I really don't wanna go if they get mad if I don't buy. Maybe I am over reacting but...
    Posted by SES2014Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It took me one day to find the dress- I think it took me about an hour and a half to two hours. I didn't purchase it that same day. I told the sales woman that I loved it and I wanted to buy it, but not today, and I had her write down all the information for me and I told her that I would come back later in the month. I went back three weeks later and ordered the dress and paid the deposit. She wasn't mad or annoyed at all and I'm sure that's very normal for brides-to-be to leave without purchasing a dress. I told the sales woman that I just wanted to see what looked good on my body type and she was really helpful with pulling dresses for me. I was lucky that I had such a great sales associate at a really nice store. It was a great experience! It was an independent boutique.

</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Davids Bridal (depending on the location) can be very pushy, as the consultants work on commission.

It might be best if you call ahead of time and say you aren't planning to purchase during this appointment but instead want to try dresses only. I generally think honesty is the best policy.
  • Options
    I tried on dresses three times and then purchased on the 4th trip (three different shops total, twice at DB). DB did push a little bit to book my "come back" appointment since I was quite firm about not being ready to buy that day. However, I found my consultant to be very helpful, and I did wind up buying without my mother there. They angled the mirrors and I sent pictures to her and called her. I might suggest a weekday when they are less crowded? Both of my DB appointments were on weekdays (one morning and one evening) and it was nice that the store was relatively calm.
  • Options
    I bought my dress the first day, but that was because I went to a store that was closing and layaway was not an option.  I did keep looking afterwards because I wanted to make sure that this was the dress for me, and David's Bridal didn't get annoyed when I went in and didn't buy anything.  Of course, they were really busy and didn't really pay too much attention to my appointment, so maybe that was a factor. 

• Options

I shopped around at about 3 bridal salons before I ended up committing to a dress I found at the first store. I never felt pressured, but I was very honest about just shopping around. I would let them know that up front and don't let them push you into buying before you are ready. It says a lot about where you want to buy with how they treat you as a customer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CnSinLOVECnSinLOVE member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    David's Bridal can definitely be very pushy. But don't let them talk you into anything you're not wanting or you're not ready for, stand your ground! I only tried on once and was really just looking, but found a dress I loved that day. Like you I was working on losing weight so I wanted to wait and purchase my dress, but the saleswoman was very pushy and kept doing the cliche are you saying yes to this dress nonsense, not that I don't love that show, but this is David's Bridal, not Kleinfeld's! Lol! Anyway I kept trying to find the nicest ways to tell her I want going to purchase today including that I was planning on losing weight, to which she responded, but you have such a great figure what's the point...again trying to push the sale today. I had no plans to come back right away, but she kept stressing to me how busy they were going to be soon, bridal Christmas, as she called it, and that I needed to book my follow up appointment now to come back in 2 weeks, way sooner than I wanted to!! I finally just booked the appointment to shut her up! I called and canceled it 2 days later! Lol! I was actually so annoyed with the woman and my experience I decided to purchase that same dress online and not return to the store. I'm not saying every experience will be like mine, I would say I was a more extreme case, but they will definitely push you! Stick to your guns and maybe make a plan with you're MOH beforehand so if you're feeling pressured she can reiterate your comments!! Good luck and seriously enjoy it!! Trying on the pretty dresses is so much fun!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I found mine on my second day looking.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I found mine on the second day looking at my second store of the day. I thought I found it the first day I went shopping, but then I realized it was the same dress my friend got married in a couple months earlier.

I wouldn't tell David's Bridal you didn't plan on buying that day ahead of time. I also wouldn't tell them if you were planning to buy that day. I wouldn't want them to have any preconceived notions of how they should treat the appointment ahead of time. All they should know is that you intend to buy a dress at some point soon.

At the end of the appointment, tell them, I really love this dress and want my mom to see it. They will write down the information and you can come back. That's what I did, and I'm so glad I didn't buy on the spot that first day because I would have left with the same dress my friend just wore (lots of guest overlap).
  • Options
    I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, and I knew I wouldn't find it in a bridal shop, but I went just to get an idea of what I liked as far as sillhouettes and fabric. I had a really great experience, but I went to a shop that had great reviews. I'm sure other places aren't nearly so friendly and laid-back. I would recommend checking out reviews of different places before you go (if you have any other options in your area).
  • Options
    I went to 4 different places no where was mad but David's like everyone else said was a little pushy, more than that they want you to get everything from them and will call you about all of it. Just don't wait too long I got a Maggie Sottero dress and it has taken 6 months to come in. Hopefully it will be in 2 weeks. Depends on the store, designer, etc. good luck and don't settle you will find a dress you love. I got so nervous because I thought I wouldn't find something I LOVED, the knots look book app really helped me a lot, and actually the dress I bought is what I fell in love with on the app. Have fun, don't stress, find something that fits your body and personality.
    Bunny ??
  • Options
    Just be up front when you start that you are simply looking to help narrow down your decision on what style suits you.  I didn't go to david's for my dress, but my first shop was with alfred angelo and they pretty much have different appointment types (first time shopper, come back appointments, etc).  My consultant was nice and not pushy.  She had me try on different styles which really helped me.  I felt bad I didn't find "the one" there, but it definitely pointed me in the right direction. 

David's can be more pushy which is why I didn't want to go there for my dress, but we did get our bridesmaids dresses there.  You are definitely not obligated to find and buy a dress in one appointment.  If the consultant was smart she would go above and beyond to help you find your way so you want to book a comeback appointment and seal the deal. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I went to two different shops on the first day, neither were Davids. The first shop was not pushy at all, they seemed to understand that buying a wedding dress is a big decision. The second shop was extremely pushy, they kept telling me if I did not order my dress that day, that I would not get it in time, which was the complete opposite of what the first shop told me ( my wedding is in October 2013 and I went shopping the week between Xmas and New Years 2012). I ended up going back a week later to the first shop and found and ordered my dress there. As PP said, you are not obligated to buy on your first appointment and they should not push you to purchase your dress if you are not ready.
  • Options

I researched a lot before I went and looked at tons of pictures.  I found a picture online that i was in love with, found a local independent salon that carried it, had an appointment, tried it on, and bought it.  One day - first dress.   (though I did try on some others to be certain).

• Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-long-did-it-take-you-to-find-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:3dc09565-823f-4594-bde1-e99bd0adeb25Post:d91971c2-b72f-4b3a-b12b-a8cb6ce08a25">How long did it take you to find the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going this weekend to hopefully just look and see what I like with my MOH. My mom isn't able to go even though she told me to wait anyway because I am trying to lose 20 pounds. We are going to go to Davids Bridal. I am a little worried though because I am not planning on purchasing a dress that day. Do they get mad and annoyed when someone comes in with an appointment to do that? If worse comes to worse, I will do the layaway and put money down so I don't lose much money. I want my mom there when I do end up buying a dress but I have no idea what kind of dress I even want which is why I am going. I am tall so options online may not look good on me but I really don't wanna go if they get mad if I don't buy. Maybe I am over reacting but...
    Posted by SES2014Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My sister happened to be in another wedding so she was picking up her dress at bridal store.  So I decided to look for some dresses that day.  I knew I was not going to buy but if I saw something I liked I would come back.  I also wanted my mom there and a few close friends to share in my experience.  My bridal consultant point blank asked me "Are you going to buy a dress today, if not I don't want to waste your time and you don't want to waste mine."  Completely ruined the experience for me and it was very rude.  But do let anyone pressure you into buying a dress or putting it on layaway.  There are too many dresses to choose from to be rushed into it.  After she said that to me the appointment was over for me.  A few weeks later I went to a different store and found the dress of my dreams with my family with me.  It took me only three dresses to find the one for me.  So in an hour I was done lol.  I knew alot of dresses would look great on me but you only need one.  So make sure you get to enjoy your experience in finding your dress. 

</div>
  • Options
    I actually found my dress "accidentally." My mom convinced me to try on dresses even though we were just looking. The plan was to try them on, write down the one I love (if there was one) and then come back in and try on a bunch for my sisters. However, I fell in love with the first dress I tried on. I tried on a few more to be safe but I knew it was that first one. Unfortunately, when the consultant went to write down the dresses she realized that my dress was being discontinued and had limited ones left to order. Needless to say, I got my dress that day. Like many people posting, I got my dress at David's Bridal. However, my experience was amazing! The consultant knew were trying on dresses on a whim and was very sweet and told us we could write down anything we liked. She was helpful, courteous and very sweet. She even reassured me my dress (not sure if all are this way) could be altered to fit up to 2 sizes lost during my weight loss venture. I'm so glad I found my dress and I'm actually very glad I got it that day because this sweet consultant got commission for it. Good luck in your search and have fun! 
  • Options
    I designed my own dress and am having it made by a seamstress who works in Michigan.  I did look A LOT (1,000+ dresses, 30 + websites) ....and finally concluded what I envisioned did not exist.  Lace edged sleeves, full skirt, steel-boned back-lacing corset bodice, full skirt, basque waistline, modified bateau neckline, silk fabric in wisteria grey-blue, fully lined, thread wrapped gromets on corset back.  (I have a background in costuming and fashion design degree)

I have to make complete payments before she begins work.  It will take her about 3-4 months.  I am getting married end of March 2014, and am sending the payment to enable her to begin work sometime May or June.  She's also doing a coordinating, custom-fitted 5 hoop petticoat, in gold and wisteria blue tulle. 

FYI this is going to total to about $1,000 INC the petticoat. www.mybigfatbeautifulwedding.com.

• Options
    I found my dress completely by chance! I am currently student teaching at my sister's high school and we had a snow day one day. Well, we were headed into our town and decided to go to our local bridal boutique so she could look at prom dresses. I had no intention of looking at wedding dresses, but since we were there, I looked anyway. I wasn't expecting find anything, but within 20 minutes of being there I found my dress! It was absolutely perfect and I didn't want to take it off. I had planned on waiting to go with my mom, sister, grandma, and MOH (also best friend), but things just worked out :) I couldn't be happier and would recommend the store to anyone!
  • Options
    Saw it on line before I went to the store.  Tried it on.  Fell in love.  Tried on a few more to make my mom and sis happy.  They said we could keep our appointments for the rest of the day and try on dresses, but I knew it was the one so I got it!
  • Options
    I went on five bridal appointments before finding my dress. I am so glad I didn't settle. I think most people would have. However, I would definitely not recommend David's bridal. It may be a personal preference but David's would be my absolute last choice. Enjoy your special day!
  • Options
    googygoogy member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I went to Davids and yes they were pushy. every dress I tried on was copy of a dress from others designers in magazines who have better quality fabrics and bead work.. to be honest if your on a budget their okay. I wouldn't of bought my wedding dress there because the quality isn't what I was looking for. As far as buying my dress and how long it took I bought two dresses. one I fell in love with for my church services and a sexy dress for my reception. it's my day and I knew I was torn between two looks so I chose two wedding dresses.
  • Options
    Err... I'm not sure how to word it... I guess you could say that my dress found me. I was engaged (long story to why I'm not), and I was tight on funds (REALLY tight). I didn't have the money to go buy a dress, so my initial plan was to make one. Well I was part of a program, and I guess my visiting nurse mentioned my situation to another client of hers. The client had recently gotten married and no longer needed the dress (or the veil), so her mom donated them to me. I was so touched that a complete stranger would help me out purely from the kindness of her heart, I wanted to cry. I LOVE the dress, but the only problems with it are that (1) it needs to be cleaned (thank goodness that polyester is machine-washable) and that (2) it's a size 10 and i'm either a size 14 or a size 16 (i have no clue anymore).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards