Second Weddings
Options

Alternative to Sand Ceremony

This is the second marriage for both of us. We are including my future husbands children, ages 14 and 13, in our ceremony. We would like to do something that symbolizes the 4 of us becoming a family, but don't want to do the sand ceremony. My sister did it at her wedding, and it was awesome, we just want something different. Any ideas??

Re: Alternative to Sand Ceremony

• Options
    You could make granola or trail mix.  Someone adds the dried cranberries, someone the chocolate chips, someone the grain/ oat clusters, and someone the nuts.  Make a joke about the person who adds the nuts.  Fill a big glass jar, and then put it out for the guests to take a small cellophane bag of as a favor. 
  • Options
    There are a lot of different and meaningful ceremonies to consider.  

We did the sand ceremony because that is what my husband wanted to do.  Our (his) daughter recited one of our readings that she helped find.   She was 6 days away from 18 at the time and her relationship with her bio-mom was very broken (the bio-mom has since passed).  We did not do anything that would make the DD feel like she was betraying her bio-mom and we cleared everything that involved her with her so she was on board. 

So ask your kids - they may not want to do anything or they might what ever you do though they need to be on board with. 

• Options
    You could each choose your favorite color in a ribbon, and briefly braid it together, tie it in a knot, and use it for your home somehow.
  • Options
    You could do a similar idea to the sand, but do a layer of rocks, beach glass, small shells and sand......each person has a different layer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards