Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Painted face :(

Hi all,

I recently had a bridal hair and makeup trial where my pleas for "natural" and "soft and loose updo" were not ignored...but definitely misunderstood. I asked if I could skip the airbrush or any foundation and opt for touch-up concealer as needed, and was given a flat "that's not what you do for a wedding." As a result, I'm back in the market for a hair and makeup stylist.

Does anyone have any recommendations in the NJ/PA area? I know that foundation will help me look "flawless" in photos...but I'd rather look like myself. I'd do my own makeup if the stakes weren't so high! I really want a professional who will make me look like the best me possible. My wedding is on a farm, so I'm also seeking rustic, soft hair. High-fashion, tightly curled up-dos just won't work!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Painted face :(

• Options
    <-- local boards
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think you're being ridiculous.  I want a similar look.  I never wear foundation, and the one time I had a Mary Kay lady do my makeup for free, when my FI came home, he asked what she did to my face.  He's used to seeing me without makeup, and with my natural complexion, and I don't want to show up on our wedding day not looking like myself!  I kind of just want my lips and eyes done.
  • Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    If you're going to pay for a MUA, have them use foundation, and ask about the lightest coverage they offer. A good MUA will get foundation that acutally matches your skintone and if they don't have it, they'll make it from what they already have. Putting on foundation won't make you look like a different person, it will even out any redness that you have and will provide a solid foundation for your blush, bronzer and eye makeup. Have you ever applied blush to blank skin? Especially skin that isn't perfectly soft and moisturized evenly? It's not where near as nice looking as blush applied over a base makeup.

MK ladies aren't MUAs, they're sales people.

ETA: Stage, because of your sig picture, I keep thinking you look like a cat lol I'm glad to see you don't! Very beautiful! Yes, ma'am!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_painted-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d255ae1f-47fa-41b2-9fdf-9739c842cb1aPost:7bf3956c-7efd-4f1a-80a7-948090bef0f2">Re: Painted face :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, if you aren't using foundation at all, you are wasting your money on a make up artist.  Either the stakes are high enough for you to shell out money and listen to their professional opinions or you really do want to look like "yourself", in which case DIY your makeup. Did you let them put the foundation ON you at all?  I would suggest letting them do their thing (with the direction of "natural" from you) and seeing how you like it AFTER it is done before you discount it completely. FWIW, I'm wearing foundation, eye shadow, blush, liner, mascara, and lipstain in the following photo.  Do I look made up to you?
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Beautiful photo Stage!</div><div>
    </div><div>OP - I'd really reconsider the foundation.  You want to look like the best possible version of yourself on your wedding day.  A good MUA will be able to use foundation to make you look amazing and not overly done.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My overall makeup was done a bit heavier than I usually do, but I wanted it to be more special than usual (it wasn't just any normal day!) and I wanted it to stand out in photos.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I know what you are saying but I think foundation would be a good choice to make you look as smooth and even as possible. I would love to be able to wear my fondation but in the summer the foundation hides my freckles that come out and I would hate to have summer wedding photos and none of my freckles to show off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi! I am a MUA that specializes in bridal application in Houston, TX. I completely understand wanting to look like yourself on the BIG day and if you are not used to wearing much makeup or any at all, anything someone applies to your face will make you feel like you look different.

The key to this is finding someone that can meet you halfway. I have brides with many different requests for how they would like to look, but when it comes to it, you will want the pictures to be timeless, your skin flawless, and big, bright eyes. I can't tell you how many brides ask me for a smokey eye or want to wear a red lip and I usually try to appease the client, but also guide them to what will look best in photos. Keep in mind that most people who do what I do LOVE their jobs and will always want to make the bride happy, but also want to do work that we are proud of.

The best thing I can suggest is to find photos of people with similar coloring wearing makeup that you would like to wear on your wedding day. Search a few MUAs and take the time to speak with them on the phone before booking/requesting a trial. This is one of the last people you will interact with before walking down the aisle and you should have someone that you feel understands your vision. Schedule a trial, show them the photos, and let them show you what they think is best (of course with your suggestions as a guideline). After, you can see what you will look like on the big day and let the MUA know what you like/didn't like. Also, bring a camera along and take a photo so you can see how the makeup photographs.

I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me with any other questions!

Andrea N. Simmons
    FaceForward Weddings
    http://www.facebook.com/faceforwardweddings

• Options
    There's looking like yourself but in the best possible fashion and then there's looking like you do on a normal day.  That is entirely up to you.  Maybe instead of foundation you might try a tinted moisurizer or something.  But if photos aren't a big deal to you, then why worry about the makeup artist and pay them good money? Do you have a friend whose makeup you like?  Let them do your eyes and do the rest yourself.  If photos are a big deal, wear the foundation.  Looking natural and not wearing makeup are too entirely different things.  Many MUA do great natural looks but still use foundation so you have even skin, and clear up under eye circles with concealer, use mascara to make your eyes pop, etc, it's just a matter of how much and in what colors, etc.   While not impossible, it'll be tougher to have great, fantastic editorial style photos and no foundation.  If you are doign more standard posed photos, then have a friend help you, or even another bridesmaid and if want photos to record the moments and less for artistic value then I wouldn't worry about paying someone.
  • Options
    I wanted to look like myself too, and I did my own makeup, so don't feel like you need to hire a MUA. But do consider foundation and/or concealer if you want to have really even skin. I put on more foundation and concealer than I do day-to-day (I usually really just wear a bit of powder and mascara), because I wanted to look flawless all day and night, but I still felt like myself, and it didn't look cakey. You can see pictures in the link in my signature.
  • Options
    If you are looking to do it yourself, this is the tutorial that I went with! I am just using a slightly softer color than the dark brown that she used! If you wanted, you could also take the picts and bring them with you to your appointment to see if they could recreate the look! 
    Here is what I used: 

and she has more pictures of the look on her blog! 

• Options
    If you are looking to do it yourself, this is the tutorial that I went with! I am just using a slightly softer color than the dark brown that she used! If you wanted, you could also take the picts and bring them with you to your appointment to see if they could recreate the look! 
    Here is what I used: 

and she has more pictures of the look on her blog! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards