Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Early planning

I got engaged in march after dating my bf for 3 years. We wanted to get married in october, but everywhere was booked. Our date is set for May 3, 2014. We live in a small place (not tiny, but a small city), and wanted to do a rustic barn type wedding. Problem was that everything was booked over a year out-venues, caterers, etc.
So we started planning early. We booked a venue and a caterer because we wanted to make sure that we got a date in the month of May.
I found my wedding dress on sale but had to get it by the end of march for the sale price.
We also have ordered our save the dates, but again, because there was a sale at the time.
I have asked my bridesmaids to be my bridesmaids, but only because they are all out of the state, and I want them to be able to make plans.
My question is, am I being absloutely insane planning so early?
I feel like I didn't have a choice, but I have gotten feedback from some people telling me that I shouldn't have ANYTHING planned.
Am I jumping the gun?

PS: Even though I have ordered the save the dates, I have not, nor will I be sending them out anytime soon. Also, I do not have my dress yet, as It is on backorder until June.

Re: Early planning

• Options
    We planned ours in 7 months. The only reason everything wasn't completely booked up was due to it being a July wedding in the summer in Texas. Our favorite photographer was booked, but we were still so happy with our photographer, and we really didn't have to sacrifice much else.
  • Options
    We booked everything major for our wedding before we hit the year mark. We wanted to make sure we got the venue we wanted and our favorite photographer and everything before we got too close to the date.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    We booked our venue 23 months before our wedding date because they were almost booked solid for the fall of 2013 when we visited.  We were only engaged a month at that point, but fell in love with our venue and didn't want to miss out on it.  We booked the DJ and photographer a few months later, but I waited until a year out to purchase my dress and ask my bridesmaids to be in the wedding.  

The only thing I did too early was buy Save the Dates from Vistaprint a year before we needed them.  They were free, but when it was time to send them out, I didn't like them anymore.  So we wasted $7 on shipping.  Not a big deal at all. :)

The only thing I wouldn't worry about doing yet is asking your bridal party to buy their dresses.  I had to purchase a dress a year out from a wedding that I'm in, and I'm still really annoyed by it.  I have no expectation that I will be the same size I was when we bought them since I have my own wedding and other things going on in my life before this other wedding.  (My weight and eating habits are usually directly influenced by stress.)
  • Options
    I agree with PPs! FH and I got engaged about 2 months ago, are about 17 months out from our wedding, and we just booked our wedding and reception venue today. Our on-site coordinator made it seem like she thought we were a little crazy for booking so far out, but FH and I absolutely love our venue and date and we didn't want to take any chances of it being booked. Plus we had the money, so why not?

Anything I'm not 100% sure I love I wouldn't commit to, but most of the benefit of having a long engagement is getting your pick of vendors!
  • Options
    I don't think you've planned too early. It's good to get the big things nailed down well in advance, especially if you wanted a particular venue or photographer, for example. We planned our wedding in about 7 months, but we weren't very picky about many of the details, and since we ended up with a weekday wedding, it wasn't difficult to get the vendors we wanted afterall.
  • Options
    I don't think you are jumping the gun.  I had a lot of major stuff already settled before we hit the  1 year mark.  The venue I originally wanted, was already book. I checked availability, the day FI had ask me to marry him.  I also had several people tell me that I was "way early" on a lot of things.  Honestly, it was great for us, because we had a few months during the holiday season to just put it all to the side and enjoy that time. We picked it all back up around January and have been going crazy with stuff ever since. I've had my dress since late October. It'll be in storage for 10 months by the time I get married.  We did send out Save The Dates earlier than typical etiquette, but it didn't create any issues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_early-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c19b3939-b114-46aa-90c8-3b990b9bc629Post:2b092408-47a6-48fa-a5cc-da4e1815ed09">Early planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got engaged in march after dating my bf for 3 years. We wanted to get married in october, but everywhere was booked.<strong> Our date is set for May 3, 2014</strong>. We live in a small place (not tiny, but a small city), and wanted to do a rustic barn type wedding. <strong>Problem was that everything was booked over a year out-venues, caterers, etc. </strong>So we started planning early. We booked a venue and a caterer because we wanted to make sure that we got a date in the month of May. I found my wedding dress on sale but had to get it by the end of march for the sale price. We also have ordered our save the dates, but again, because there was a sale at the time. I have asked my bridesmaids to be my bridesmaids, but only because they are all out of the state, and I want them to be able to make plans. My question is, am I being absloutely insane planning so early? I feel like I didn't have a choice, but I have gotten feedback from some people telling me that I shouldn't have ANYTHING planned.<strong> Am I jumping the gun</strong>? PS: Even though I have ordered the save the dates, I have not, nor will I be sending them out anytime soon. Also, I do not have my dress yet, as It is on backorder until June.
    Posted by kefryar[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Your wedding is in just slightly over a year from today.  You said everything was booked a year out.  Soooooo, you really can't wait any longer, right? Am I missing something?

</div>
  • Options
    We started planning at 23 months out and booked our venue at 20 months out.  In the tri-state area, things can book up over 2 years in advance.  I don't think your planning too early in advance.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You are so not jumping the gun! Sounds like you are in a place where venues and vendors book super fast and far out so maybe it's a good thing that you have so much time ... ? We are planning our wedding in only 9 months and the only reason why we are getting so 'lucky' with availability is because our wedding will be in December, super off-season. You seem like you know exaclty what you want, so go for it! If you're not early, you're late! Family and guests will appreciate your promptness and early planning especially if they're traveling from out of state! Good luck!
  • Options
    I had the same concern as you, because our wedding is a year from today actually. I booked the reception hall and church a month ago, already have a dj and photographer booked, and I'm going dress shopping tomorrow hoping I find "the dress". I feel like I will be able to focus more on the details through out the rest of the wedding planing because all the big things are already checked off the list. Have fun with the rest of your planning, everyone I talk to says it goes by fast!
  • Options
    Planning early is very smart! We planned early and now, 5 weeks away from the wedding we are relaxing and not stressing.... We did end up changing a coupleof things, but I think that is to be expected... Not stressing and more relaxing means more time to focus on us and the love we share. The planning process was also more enjoyable because we were not rushed on anything and we had more time to save up money!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards