Honeymoon Discussions

Iceland

Has anyone been to Iceland and can provide things to do, see while there? We are thinking about going there for the end of our honeymoon....

Re: Iceland

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_iceland-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c29da7f1-0f92-4269-9658-939c4ce2b33ePost:d7eeca9a-5236-4ff9-b491-7f0303ebea62">Iceland</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone been to Iceland and can provide things to do, see while there? We are thinking about going there for the end of our honeymoon....
    Posted by janner13[/QUOTE]

<div>We went for a long weekend and did the touristy things.  Golden Circle Tour, Northern Lights tour and my favorite, the Blue Lagoon!  We went in the winter though so daylight was limited.  I think the sun came up around 10:30am and went down at 4pm.  The dark mornings were awful and Iceland remains top of my list for difficulty adjusting with jet lag/time difference/daylight.  I would still love to go back sometime in the summer months when daylight is much longer and do some other activities that aren't available in the winter.</div>
  • tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    If you go in the summer, bring a winter jacket because it can still be bitterly cold. Especially if you go on any tours outside of Reykjavík into the countryside (ie Golden Circle, where you can see an amazing waterfall, geysirs, and Thingvelir where the European and American tectonic plates meet). I went in August, so the days were long (it was dusky all night, the sun didn't quite really set) and it was really lovely and warm at times, but outside the city it is cold!!! Definitely do the Blue Lagoon. Icelanders love swimming and relaxing in hot springs; it's great!

edited for spelling
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_iceland-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c29da7f1-0f92-4269-9658-939c4ce2b33ePost:9debdb19-2c18-4c5d-aea5-223dcd22ce74">Re: Iceland</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you go in the summer, bring a winter jacket because it can still be bitterly cold. Especially if you go on any tours outside of Reykjavík into the countryside (ie Golden Circle, where you can see an amazing waterfall, geysirs, and Thingvelir where the European and American tectonic plates meet). I went in August, so the days were long (it was dusky all night, the sun didn't quite really set) and it was really lovely and warm at times, but outside the city it is cold!!! Definitely do the Blue Lagoon. Icelanders love swimming and relaxing in hot springs; it's great! edited for spelling
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

Did you go on any tours? We are looking into stay.... Any suggestions?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_iceland-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c29da7f1-0f92-4269-9658-939c4ce2b33ePost:5e1a9ad8-9567-4192-9adc-6b8b86a73707">Re: Iceland</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iceland : Did you go on any tours? We are looking into stay.... Any suggestions?
    Posted by janner13[/QUOTE]

I was there primarily for research and a conference (and I was staying with a friend so I can't recommend hotels), so I did do a one-day tour but it was organized by the conference. It was pretty much exactly the Golden Circle tour though, so I can still recommend it. Sorry I can't help you with tour companies; I know there are a few out there, and they will all have GC tours. I don't know if you are into horses at all either but there are horseback riding tours of the countryside too (good for beginners also). I haven't done one personally, but I know people who have and they loved it. There is so much cool stuff to do in Iceland. Grab a travel guide from the library if you haven't already and take a look at what's listed there. :)
  • Iceland!!! I'm jealous :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards