Florida-Central Florida

Fear of Flying...Where to Honeymoon???

I'm terrified of flying....does anyone know of a great honeymoon spot thats a close road trip/boat trip that would make for a fabulous honeymoon??? Theres no budget restraints on this...I was thinking Captiva island, but I don't know anyone whos ever been...and we've worn out the disney thing....THANKS in advance Everyone! 

Re: Fear of Flying...Where to Honeymoon???

• edited December 2011
    HI,

I looked at Captiva, but nothing stood out to me, but to be fair I want to be by the beach not on it.

So we are going to Naples FL. and staying in the down town area where all the shops and restaurants are at, so in my mind we are close to the beach but get the down town feeling as well.
  • jswaluvjswaluv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

How about a cruise? Not trying to push you or anything, but I work for Southwest Airlines and we're the safest in the industry! In fact, flying is safer then driving... I work customer service, my FI is a skycap, my mother is a flight attendant and my brother in law is a provisioner (fills the aircraft with snacks). We keep in the family around there, hahaha.... and safety is our #1 priority!  I wasn't the best flyer either 6 years ago, but the best way around it isto conquor it. Best of luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm gonna google Naples...neither of us have ever been there....I've only ever flown Southwest, I love them...all the flight attendants are hysterical...but I've only flown when I absolutely had to, and my sweetheart hates it too...& I love the cruise idea but my hunni wanted me to research other options cuz he's not too keen on being 'trapped on a boat for 21 days' ...sigh...
  • SilverSarahBSilverSarahB member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps you can research cruises that have docked days, where you can get out and run around in XYZ before reboarding and heading to the next port.  That way you can do some sight seeing and not be "trapped" as your hunni says.
  • edited December 2011
    Captiva is BEAUTIFUL!! Checkout South Seas Resort, I really wanted to get married there! Also St Augustine is always fun, or even Neptune Beach(just N of Jacksonville beach, but way prettier). Amielia Island is really pretty too! A little further is Watercolor in the Panhandle, Ive heard a lot of good things about but have never been. A cruise out of Cape Canaveral or Tampa would be really easy. Or there is a fast ferry in Fort Myers that takes you to Key West, I think it is a 2 hour boat ride. Hope you find the perfect place!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • ssj2ssj2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend the cruise route as well.  Unless you are doing transatlantic, you can get off the ship quite often.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have never been to Captiva island but it looks nice.  As other have suggested, I suggest going on a cruise.  You do not have to be stuck on a boat for 21 days, most cruises stop at ports and you are only on a boat for up to a couple of days at a time, if that.  My fiance and I are planning on going on a 7-8 day cruise for our honeymoon.
  • edited December 2011
    I used to go to South Seas Plantation in Captiva annually as a kid, and it's gorgeous.  I understand they had to do a lot of renovations since hurricane Charley hit, so it should be sparkly new!  It is rather pricey, though.

My husband and I LOVE cruises... if you're a first-time cruiser, I suggest getting one that stops a lot, and you won't feel trapped, as previous posters said.  One of the reasons we love cruises so much is that it's very cost-controlled, since all your meals (except for any specialty restaurants or alcohol) are provided, and you can stick to your budget fairly easily.  A lot of cruise lines let you bring some alcohol on board (like wine), too.  You can go all-out and do excursions in every port, or you can just wing it and wander to the nearest beach, or just stay on the boat at the pool - it's totally up to you.  Plus... nobody can call you or email you since your phone won't work at sea unless you pay an arm, a leg, and most of a kidney for roaming.  Perfect to relax and have alone time with your new hubby!  If you have a lot of days at sea, though, yeah, it can be a little claustrophobic.  We also like 7-day-plus cruises because you actually meet people and other couples you can hang out with, but since they aren't part of your group you don't feel obligated.  Also... if you decide to cruise, take Bonine every day.  It doesn't make you sleepy, alcohol doesn't seem to effect it (or so I've noticed), and it will ward off any potential motion sickness just in case. 

As another PP said, Key West would be a really fun honeymoon if you want tropical island, although ironically they don't have a lot of public beaches there (it's mostly rocks). 

Good luck... HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm voting for the cruise route too!! We're doing a cruise - we're going on Royal Caribbean of the Seas for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. We'll stop at 3 islands and all of your food & drinks (minus alcohol & SOME snacks) are paid for! I've been on 3 cruises and they're all amazing! You could leave out of Port Canveral - they're fast about getting you onboard so you can start enjoying your honeymoon right away! Plus, like PP said, you can't get phone calls or emails to distract you from your new hubby! 

Whatever you choose, have tons of fun and Congrats! 
    image A sadly neglected Bio
  • edited December 2011
    a cruise or drive to savannah
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards