December 2013 Weddings

Getting Married in December--Already overwhelmed with all the lingo!

My boyfriend proposed to me about a week ago and immediately I started thinking about where and when the wedding will be. Then all the things that go with planning hit me. There's so much that the bride is "expected to do." I already decided I will not have a bridal shower (all my best friends and any friends at all live in another state and hopefully will be able to be my bridesmaids). 

So I finally figured out what a rehearsal dinner is, but how does a gift registry work? Do I have to have one? I'm not into all the wedding nitty gritty, so can I skip the gift registry?

Re: Getting Married in December--Already overwhelmed with all the lingo!

• The point of the registry is to help make sure you and your FI get things you want and need that you like, and also to cut down on duplicate gifts. If you don't want one, don't have one, but  that's why they exist. Otherwise be prepared for ceramic roosters and weird monogrammed things because people won't know what to get you.
        If your doing a straightforward ceremony without readings and/or solos, you may not need a rehearsal, inwhich case you can also skip the rehearsal dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello there again! You crack me up, I think we are long lost twins! My fiance proposed right about the time yours did and our wedding is mid-December. There is SO much planning to do, it's completely overwhelming! Allow your bridesmaids and best women in your life to help guide you! Like you, all of my best girls are out of state, so it's super difficult when your best support group isn't right beside you :( Keep your head high and maybe think about bringing on a wedding planner if your budget will allow ... ? Mine doesn't, so I've been heavily depending on the Checklist, friends, and other online guidelines. Take deep breaths, have some wine, try to maintain balance, work out, eat clean, pamper yourself, and keep reminding yourself that it's YOUR wedding! Best of Luck :)
  • Hello there again! You crack me up, I think we are long lost twins! My fiance proposed right about the time yours did and our wedding is mid-December. There is SO much planning to do, it's completely overwhelming! Allow your bridesmaids and best women in your life to help guide you! Like you, all of my best girls are out of state, so it's super difficult when your best support group isn't right beside you :( Keep your head high and maybe think about bringing on a wedding planner if your budget will allow ... ? Mine doesn't, so I've been heavily depending on the Checklist, friends, and other online guidelines. Take deep breaths, have some wine, try to maintain balance, work out, eat clean, pamper yourself, and keep reminding yourself that it's YOUR wedding! Best of Luck :)
  • In Response to Re: Getting Married in December--Already overwhelmed with all the lingo!:
    [QUOTE]hey every one my wedding is dec 15 and im having a hard time keeping track on what i need to do next. when are you guys doing your bridal shower and bachlorette party? do i plan those? kathleen
    Posted by kitkat122[/QUOTE]

Mine is December 14!  Aren't you super excited?

After picking a venue, I'd say you make sure you have your bridal party confirmed, and start looking for a dress.  TheKnot does have an AWESOME checklist (I think it's under tools) to help guide you through the process.  Have you booked your DJ?  How about your photographer?

As for your bridal shower/bachelorette, those are for your bridal party to plan, hopefully with your input.  I think the shower is supposed to be a month or two before the wedding, and the bachelorette can be pretty much whenever...usually a little closer to the wedding than the shower is.  
  • In Response to Re: Getting Married in December--Already overwhelmed with all the lingo!:
    [QUOTE]We are skipping the gift registry.  Neither of us need anything at all.  However, our wedding will be extremely limited, so I won't have to let a lot fo people know that we just want their company for the night.  However, I do know that some people might be offended by a request of no gifts. I would love anything they give us. I Remember.  It's your wedding.  Whatever you want, it's your choice. As simple as we are plannign to make this....I'm SOOOOO overwhelmed just thinking about it!  No idea how party planners do this stuff!  GAH!
    Posted by boireann[/QUOTE]

My only warning about not registering is that you might get some REALLY ugly statue from Great Aunt Bertha.  My registry is basically upgrades of all the "bachelor/bachelorette" stuff my FI and I brought with us to our condo when we moved in together.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards