Catholic Weddings

Questions -- prayer

Here are some fun questions for today...feel free to add!!

1.  Have you ever had a prayer answered in a way that was incredibly powerful/impressive? 
2.  Is there a particular cause that is important to you, and something you pray for regularly?  What is it?
3.  What is something you used to prayer for as a child/youth that was cute/funny/etc?

Re: Questions -- prayer

• 1.  Have you ever had a prayer answered in a way that was incredibly powerful/impressive? 
    I don't have a super cool story about this, but I've heard some cool ones!  My favorite, though, is that my best friend was dying of cancer as a baby.  Her parents, and eventually hundreds of people all over, were praying for her.   She was miraculously healed...even the doctors said it was a miracle.   The coolest thing is that she meets people as an adult who are like "hey, I used to pray for you when you were a baby!" 
    2.  Is there a particular cause that is important to you, and something you pray for regularly?  What is it?
    I like to pray for people suffering addition.  It's such a hard thing for people to deal with, and impacts families so much.  It's a tough battle to fight, and they need our prayers.
    3.  What is something you used to prayer for as a child/youth that was cute/funny/etc?
    I was taught at a young age that God is no bound by time.  The idea fascinated me, so I used to pray for my Mom when she was a child.  Even though she was an adult at the time, I wanted to pray for the child version of her, and figured God could accept pre-dated prayers lol.   I would also pray for things like WW2 or the Civil War lol.  I was sitting there in the 90's, praying for things that happened in the 40's lol.

• 1.  Have you ever had a prayer answered in a way that was incredibly powerful/impressive?
    When we were trying to discern TTC before I got pregnant with C, I was on my knees before the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle before daily Mass praying about the decision and was absolutely flooded with surety that the time was right to TTC. We got pregnant the first cycle and everything just worked out so perfectly (timing, health, etc.), that I know God's hand was guiding the whole thing.

We are really involved with the Pro-Life movement and related stuff (bioethics, HHS mandate, NFP).

At bedtime, my list of "God blesses" was very, very long. I tried to include everyone in my family and all of my friends. Actually, we still have a looooooong list of people we pray for as a family every night.  I guess some things never change!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. There have been a few times, and honestly lots of times where God gave me something completely unasked for (like, signs of His Providence, etc.) One answered prayer that sticks out is at the Mass for Life 2008, then-BF, soon-to-be-FI, now-DH & I had been talking (not AT Mass...haha) about when we should think about getting married, whether spring 2009 after I graduated (his choice) or spring 2010 after he graduated (my choice.) Long story short I think I saw a tiny Eucharistic miracle at that Mass, and after going back to our seats on the floor (so crowded!) after Communion I was just absolutely positive we should get married earlier rather than later, and we did. Our first son was conceived March 2010, so had we waited, we would not have had him.

2. Also pro-life/family type causes

3. When I was really little, maybe 4 or 5, I was terrified of death and used to pray that God would let me live forever "or if not forever then at least a really long time, like a thousand years" LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    1.  Have you ever had a prayer answered in a way that was incredibly powerful/impressive? 
    Yes! My father was in ICU, the doctor pulled our family into a room and told us he was in multi-organ failure and that his heart wasn't strong enough to overcome it. He told us to prepare for the end. When he left, we said a prayer as a family (something my family has never done), my husband called a priest to come and anoint/give last rites. My father's limbs had been frozen (due to his body redirecting blood to the failing organs) and bluish. Within an hour of being annointed, his limbs started warming up and 24 hours later his organs were functioning properly. He left the hospital after 6 months in better shape than he arrived. He was 100% healed. His heart is stronger than it has been in 10 years. The doctors can not explain it.

I pray for our priests, church leaders, political leaders and for conversions.

I definitely remember praying for snow days!
     I feel like God has done some pretty amazing things that I have witnessed over the years in my life, and one of the quietest, yet most powerful was bringing FI into my life.  I was struggling with a friendship that had just ended due to addiction and was feeling the loss of that person.  I found a support group that helped me understand how to let go and let God heal my friend and, by extension, I learned patience.  I found this amazing internal space where I just trusted God would handle everything and then FI walked into my life.  From the very beginning, there was no doubt that God had control and only good things would come of my trusting in Him.  It's incredible what can happen in a year!

I pray for those with mental illness and addiction.  I'm a therapist, so this is something I encounter daily, and untreated, mental illness and addiction rip families and lives apart.

When I was really little, I used to pray that certain TV specials would come on!

• amaryann, I LOVE that you prayed for tv shows to come on haha! 

All these "powerful asnwers to prayers" stories are giving me the chills! 

• 1.  Have you ever had a prayer answered in a way that was incredibly powerful/impressive?  The most recent prayer that God has answered is allowing us to conceive naturally. 
    2.  Is there a particular cause that is important to you, and something you pray for regularly?  What is it?  I am really passionate about the military and familes. I pray for them all the time. Between H and I, we have several friends and family members that have served or are currently active. I also pray for the state of this country and the direction the leadership is taking us.
    3.  What is something you used to prayer for as a child/youth that was cute/funny/etc?  I guess I can't really answer this one since I wasn't really raised in the faith, only baptized. I did believe in God, but my faith just wasn't there like it is now.
  • Darn, I'm late to this; I have a great "sign" that my husband and I were blessed with.  ;-)  Sometimes God works in really OBVIOUS ways!

After our first three miscarriages, a friend gave us a medal of St. Gerard, and we prayed that he would join us in asking the Lord for a healthy child carried to term.  (Disclaimer below!)*  We conceived our fourth baby . . . and he was due on St. Gerard's feast day.  We told everyone that this was evidence that the Holy Spirit has a sense of humor.  (Baby boy wasn't born that day, though, because I had to be induced on said due date, and he took thirty-two hours of labor to come into the world!)

As far as our own special intentions go, I try to pray frequently for all parents who have lost their children, and also for souls, living and deceased, who have no one to pray for them. 

* To anyone lurking who might want some clarification on this point . . . we know the medal (also referred to as a sacramental) has no power - it just serves as a reminder of the saint's life and good example.  We also know that we happen to have been blessed with a child by God, not St. Gerard.  The saints are humble before the Lord and they glorify Him with us.
  • Jasmine, St. Gerard is a special saint in my family.  I love your story!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards