Plus-Sized

shapes

Hello ladies.  I thougt of posting this on the attire section but it seemed to be more at home here. I tried on wedding dresses for the first time yesturday and I have to say I was a bit dissapointed.  It seemed like all of the "plus sized" dresses looked the same! it was either empire waisted chiffon, or side drape with ruching in satin. Granted some where white and some were cream. Some had a train and some didn't but it was like didn't i just have this on? I went to 3 places and tried on about 10 dresses (the second store didn't have a single dress over a size 10) but i swear even in the pictures I took they all look the same! Did anyone else have this problem or am I just nuts? 

Re: shapes

• I've gone dress shopping a few times as well, and the best advice that I can give you, is to go to a store that carries lines of strictly plus-sized gowns. I found a lot more variety at a store that had 5 different plus-sized lines. Just search in Google for "plus-sized bridal stores in _____ (city name)." That helped me find the store that I hope to buy a dress from! Also, David's Bridal has a lot of different styles! Good luck Kiss
  • In Response to shapes:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies.  I thougt of posting this on the attire section but it seemed to be more at home here. I tried on wedding dresses for the first time yesturday and I have to say I was a bit dissapointed.  It seemed like all of the "plus sized" dresses looked the same! it was either empire waisted chiffon, or side drape with ruching in satin. Granted some where white and some were cream. Some had a train and some didn't but it was like didn't i just have this on? I went to 3 places and tried on about 10 dresses (the second store didn't have a single dress over a size 10) but i swear even in the pictures I took they all look the same! Did anyone else have this problem or am I just nuts? 
    Posted by speedyblazer11[/QUOTE]

Do you know which designers you tried on?    A lot of dresses look the same these days, even the non-plus sized ones. You may want to try a different store that has multiple designers with plus size lines. 

For example, look at the Mori Lee Julietta line.  Just in their new collection alone, very few of the dresses look a like. 

http://www.morilee.com/bridals/julietta

that is just one designer, and a ton of different styles.  You might want to call ahead and make sure the salons you are going to have lots of plus size samples in varied designers.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'd recommend David's Bridal... I also tried on a variety of dresses and my consultant was wonderful and put my weight issues at ease.  Even if you don't end up purchasing there you can at least try on different shapes/styles.
  • Thank you all for your replies.  I will try Davids Bridal next, it seems I missed the memo that they can help a hard to dress lady.

I drove to one of those warehouse type stores that has all kinds of samples from different designers for my first experience. It went better than anywhere else just kind of disappointing that they had a ton of racks for "normal" shaped girls and 3 for sizes 14-28.  The other store that I went to was in my home town (which is small) and they had maybe twenty 14+ dresses that all looked the same. At that store wouldn't let you take pictures and they took the tags off of the dresses so you couldn't see the designer. Not going back there not matter what.

Again thank you for replying I plan to take the advice and do more homework. 
  • I tried David's Bridal after a few smaller places.  When deciding to go to smaller stores, always call ahead and ask exactly how many dresses they have in your size that you can try on.  If they had less than 6, I didn't bother.
  • another vote for David's - I tried on all sorts of silhouettes there.  It's also possible that your consultant had it stuck in her head that plus-sizes need A-line and only pulled that shape for you (which would totally suck, but 3 whole racks of just two shapes? seems unlikely). 

Good luck!  I hope your second attempt goes better!
  • I'll put in a vote for Alfred Angelo signature stores.  I was a street-size 28 at the time, and I wasn't limited at all.

If you do go to David's Bridal, be aware the experiences there can swing from wonderful to horrendous.  The service appears to vary greatly.  Bring people who can help you search and try things on, and be prepared to ignore the saleslady if necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards