Chit Chat

What was your best wedding decision?

Mine was to let my girls pick their own black dress instead of having them order something. One just had a baby and was in a wedding this weekend and had to pay another $160 for alterations....and I just found out my best friend is pregnant (I'm totally excited!!!) and will be 7.5 months along at my wedding. I am so happy they won't have any stress about a dress or losing/gaining weight. We found the third girl's dress on the clearance rack at the bridal shop for $15, fits perfectly and she's been the same weight for many years.

My other best decision was not to do my wedding at my uncle's house as we originally planned. I would've been so stressed.

What was the best decision you made for your wedding?
image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: What was your best wedding decision?

• edited April 2013
    My best decision was forfeiting my idea of a "dream venue" and "settling" for a nice banquet room in a restaurant near our home town. I NEVER thought I'd get married in our home town, but it was WAYYYYYY cheaper, and the space was really nice. Plus, it allowed us to get married in my husband's church (which I also never thought I'd do), but that meant a lot to him and his family. That was the epitome of "It's not my day, it's our day" type thinking.  So giving those sort of decision making choices to him was a big thing, but probably the best ones I made. It was huge emotionally, plus it saved us money and we still had an amazing wedding. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Having an intimate non-beach DW at our most favourite resort. The second best decision was to rely on the venue for all other aspects of the wedding other than the ceremony (photo, video, catering, florist, décor, baker etc), as opposed to hiring outside vendors and having to coordinate them ourselves. We didn't exactly save by doing this but it made our lives so much easier. In retrospect it was a great decision, the venue and coordinators delivered beyond our expectations.
  • Linger I love your GIF!  It's cracking me up!

It's hard for me to know, because we're still more than 2 months away, but I'll try to pick a couple:

Getting married when we are.  Before we were engaged, we talked about getting married October 2016, because the timing was perfect.  But a lot of our plans got flip-flopped, and we realized that getting married this summer made a lot of sense.  We couldn't be happier with our choice to have a wedding this summer. 

If I'm trying to narrow this down a bit, the other big one is our church.  FI and I are Catholic and doing the full mass, and are currently attending the church I've been to my whole life.  I like that church a lot, but we opted for my grandparents church in the next town over.  The priest there is a good family friend, which makes the wedding more special for us. He knew both my grandparents pretty well (his mom and my memere were good friends since high school), and was a great support to us when my pepere died just before this past Christmas.  My whole family is looking forward to having the wedding there. It'll be wonderful!
  • So far, it was having over a year to plan the wedding.  FI and I have done all the planning ourselves and we both work full time jobs.  Because we waiting over a year, we've been able to save our money for what we want and I've been a lot less stressed because most of the time we were ahead of the curve.  FI is a CPA and was MIA during busy season, but it wasn't a big deal because we had time to prepare for it.  Now we're right on track, I'm not super stressed with planning, and we don't have to worry about not having money to pay our vendors.  Yay!
  • Best decisions: not to go with a "traditional" dress, wearing it out that night, splurging on the higher end apps.... And... my second pair of shoes. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • So far, I'm really happy that I gave up having lighting done, renting tablecloths and having someone take down the ugly curtains at our venue to instead splurge on beautiful silver chairs. I'm spending a fifth of what I would have and I've actually warmed up to the curtains - I think they'll actually look beautiful with the chairs.

And the venue itself is so ballin'. We get the WHOLE mansion for the WHOLE day. They provide candles, apothecary jars, all tablecloths/tables/dinnerware and valet parking for free. They'll make as many entree items as I like, and they'll customize any dish or make an entirely new dish if we want. They make homemade potato chips (which is my obsession). And they have awesome little phonebooths to make out in.
  • Not getting special "getting ready" clothes. I was planning on just wearing some sweats I like anyway, but then I got food poisoning the night before the wedding and was barely functional. By the end of the night I was back in my comfy sweats (hair and makeup still done) just so I could say goodbye to everyone before collapsing. I think the look on the caterer's face when looking for me was hilarious since at that point the only thing "bridal" about me was I had left the tiara on.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Getting married in September but the best decision so far has been picking a football by-week. Get married on a football Saturday in Nebraska and all hell breaks loose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards