Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Thoughts on honeymoon registry?

Thanks you positive posters. Due to the large amount of rude and negative posts placed on this thread I'm removing my original post. Good luck to all with your wedding planning!

Re: Thoughts on honeymoon registry?

• Options
    dexeladexela member
    First Comment
    hello there, I am in the same situation as you are guys, we want to find a way for our friends and family to know this, how ever we don't know how to approach the issue, how did you do that?? did you request money instead? what is the best way to do so?? without being rude?? please let me know, thanks and good luck to you!!
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on honeymoon registry?:
    [QUOTE]hello there, I am in the same situation as you are guys, we want to find a way for our friends and family to know this, how ever we don't know how to approach the issue, how did you do that?? did you request money instead? what is the best way to do so?? without being rude?? please let me know, thanks and good luck to you!!
    Posted by dexela[/QUOTE]

The weddings we went to had a wedding website and it was listed there. We also had 1 that sent out the inserts with the wedding invites. ( which I am totally okay with. I know some people claim it's tacky but to be honest when I'm going to a wedding I want to know where they are registered, and I think it's rude to make people go to all the big registry places and try to search and guess at where your registered.) Good luck with your registry!
  • Options
    efmcc67efmcc67 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Do not do a honeymoon registry! Check the sticky at the top of this board. I understand you have most of the stuff that you want, but openly asking for money is always rude. You can make a small registry of just upgrades (sheets, towels, etc.). People will understand that it's okay to give you money; you don't need to specify this, and you should never ask for it. Making a honeymoon registry is no different than saying "Give us cash."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Just say no to honeymoon registries. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Honeymoon registries are rude.  Look at it this way, would you outright ask a friend or family member for cash to pay for your honeymoon (or anything for that matter)? Honeymoon registries are in essence asking your firends and family for cash.  Also, there are people who will always give a boxed gift over cash.  H and I don't give cash.  I'd rather select something physical off of a registry then try to guess at what you'd like for a gift.

We did a registry for items that we wanted to upgrade or replace...bed linens, pots and pans, everyday dinnerware, fine china (since neither one of us had any) etc.

People who give cash for wedding gifts will do so anyway, and we didn't end up with a bunch of random gifts that we had no use for from guests who preferred to give boxed gifts.  

Please reconsider a honeymoon registry.  It's just poor manners.
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    People don't like HM registries because they are rude and deceitful. They are rude because you are asking your guest for cash which is never appropriate no matter how you disguise it. You are also deceiving your guests by letting them think they are buying you an actual gift when if fact you will be receiving cash from the HM registry, minus fees.

I am sure if your guests want to give you a monetary gift they know how to write a check or put cash in a card. They don't need some gimmicky website to collect their money for you.

If you don't want towels, don't register for them. If you don't want any physical gifts than don't register at all. Some people do however want to give boxed gifts which is whey poster here suggest doing a small registry of upgrades.  If and only if someone asks you about gifts you can say you are either not registered or registered at store x but also saving for a honeymoon.  Pretty simple!

BTW, registry info/inserts in wedding invitations is extremely rude. 
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    They are rude because they are a flat out request for cash. Registries are made to help the couple establish a new life together--to get them necessities for their home.  A vacation is not a necessity.  You don't have to have one, nor are you entitled to one.  If you do take a honeymoon, you take a trip that you can afford.  You don't depend on your guests to fund your trip.

You make a household registry to give people an idea of your tastes and design eye.  Otherwise you may get purple towels for your green bathroom or a ceramic rooster for your modern art deco kitchen. 

If you are looking for money, you make a small registry and spread through word of mouth that you are saving for a honeymoon.  Let people make the decision to give you a gift or give you cash.  Don't force them to pay for you. 

People are not stupid.  They know cash is king and that it is always a very appreciated gift.  If they see a small registry, they will get the hint without you coming right out with your hands out saying "gimmie, gimmie, gimmie"

You are right.  You are asking people to spend a very important day with you.  You don't beg for money in return.

FYI, this is a public forum. You cannot dictate how people will respond or to what parts of your post they will respond to.  If you are prepared to take constructive and objects insight, then you would do better to not ask a question at all.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    In Response to Thoughts on honeymoon registry?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks you positive posters. Due to the large amount of rude and negative posts placed on this thread I'm removing my original post. Good luck to all with your wedding planning!
    Posted by Vaka0401[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if you know what rude is? Not one poster said anything rude to you. They disagreed politely with you. They said your idea of asking your guests for money was rude.
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on honeymoon registry? : The weddings we went to had a wedding website and it was listed there. We also had 1 that sent out the inserts with the wedding invites. ( which I am totally okay with. I know some people claim it's tacky but to be honest when I'm going to a wedding I want to know where they are registered, and I think it's rude to make people go to all the big registry places and try to search and guess at where your registered.) Good luck with your registry!

You're ok with it, but most adults think it is very rude. Asking for gifts is just as rude as asking for money.
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    OP, if you don't want people's opinions then why post asking for "Thoughts on honeymoon regstry?"  Oh, I get it, you just wanted thoughts that validate your bad idea!
  • Options
    OP - Deleting your post is childish.  Though the title says it all.  Did you by chance happen to read the sticky at the top of this board "Thinking of a honeymoon registry?"  I strongly suggest you do.  Perhaps you'll gain more understanding of why you received the responses that you obviously don't like.

Also, if you can't take criticism, don't bother asking for opinions.  
  • Options
    People need to grow the hell up.

• Options
    My thoughts on honeymoon registries? They are tacky, deceitful, and should be avoided.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on honeymoon registry? : The weddings we went to had a wedding website and it was listed there. We also had 1 that sent out the inserts with the wedding invites. ( which I am totally okay with. I know some people claim it's tacky but to be honest when I'm going to a wedding I want to know where they are registered, and I think it's rude to make people go to all the big registry places and try to search and guess at where your registered.) Good luck with your registry!

It's not that it's tacky.  It's very rude to ask for gifts like this.  

If you don't want to check the stores and can't be bothered to google it, just ask the couple where they are registered.  It's not that hard.  
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Why doesnt anyone read previous threads before starting a new one, on the same topic that has been beaten to death?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Why doesnt anyone read previous threads before starting a new one, on the same topic that has been beaten to death?
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]
    Oh, Kat. You and your logic!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    [QUOTE]Why doesnt anyone read previous threads before starting a new one, on the same topic that has been beaten to death?
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

Because everyone is a special snowflake and their situation is different and they deserve it because of whatever reason. **Insert eyeroll
    ROCK IS KING!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards