Wedding Reception Forum

Check my menu?

We had our tasting this weekend and we have a lot of good options. We're going for simple/crowd-pleasing food over excitement, which is a bummer since FI and I are pretty adventurous eaters. We know our crowd is more "meat & potatoes," though, so here's what we're starting to decide on for our buffet:

Roast sirloin
Cherry chicken (chicken breast with a surprisingly light cherry and cream sauce)
Caesar salad
Italian pasta salad
Roasted potatoes
Seasonal vegetables in garlic-infused olive oil

I don't think we have any vegetarians, but if we find out later that we do, they said we can get a couple separate vegetarian meals.

For the hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour we are planning on having a veggie tray, fruit tray, and a cheese tray (maybe cheese and sausage?). They also told us they can keep the trays out and refreshed through dinner and later into the evening.

Honestly, the menu seems super boring to me, but at least everything tastes really good and I'm hoping the picky eaters will be able to find something they like.

Re: Check my menu?

• It looks really good!  The only thing I'd point out is that there doesn't look to be a gluten-free option.  You may want to make sure none of your guests need one.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I would also recommend that the caesar salad be served with dressing on the side. Traditional caesar dressing has anchovy in it...which wouldn't sit well with someone who doesn't like seafood/fish or is vegetarian.

Also, I don't think the cherry chicken really seems "Italian" to me...which is what the rest of your menu is. It might be better to do a chicken parmesan or chicken saltimbocca

• make sure the venue has veggie, vegan, kosher and GF options if needed.

for the roasted sirloin (a top I guess?) can they cook to temp per guests requests? if someone wants a well done piece can they do that?

for the chicken is it bone/skinless? if so let people know. i have an aversion to bone-in chicken (as do many others).

• I would suggest adding a vegeterian option either way. There may be a guest of your guests who doesn't eat meat that you may not be aware of. Also, some people are just picky about foods (especially meets) and would prefer a simple pasta option at a restaurant they haven't been to. I also on occassion just prefer to not have meat at every meal, even though I eat it often. Just my opinion though!
  • Pele - Good point. I don't think we have any GFers either, but I'll come up with something if we do. ItzMS - That is one reason I was thinking of having a regular green salad with several dressing options. I personally don't like Caesar dressing but FI always tells me I'm weird so I thought it wouldn't be an issue. I'll talk to the venue and see what other dressing choices they have. Nothing on this menu strikes me as Italian (besides the Italian pasta salad which just means it has Italian salad dressing in it) so I don't think that's an issue. Ali - The sirloin won't be cooked to order, but I don't think people really expect that at a buffet? What we got was probably medium to medium-well done.
  • Know your guests but aside from that it sounded good to me... I just like food that tastes good that's all I care about as a guest lol
  • Not a fan of the chicken? Haha when I first saw the menu I was like, "ok, we are not choosing that!" but it turned out being one of our favorites. And yes, there will be bread. They hand-grind the wheat for their rolls and serve them warm and they are soooooo tasty. Bread is my favorite.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to Re: Check my menu?:
    [QUOTE]Not a fan of the chicken? Haha when I first saw the menu I was like, "ok, we are not choosing that!" but it turned out being one of our favorites. And yes, there will be bread. They hand-grind the wheat for their rolls and serve them warm and they are soooooo tasty. Bread is my favorite.
    Posted by JennaMichelle88[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's great...but fruit with chicken doesn't excite me one bit. I'm also picturing my DH making an "Eeew" face. Since you're doing a buffet, it should be fine. Guests can probably ask for a piece without any of the fruit sauce?
  • The idea of fruit and meat always seems weird to me but it always usually tastes awesome.  I would totally try it :)
  • It's not really fruity, more creamy and buttery with a few chunks of cherries. But obviously since I can't send you all samples I'll just have to trust my own taste buds. Thanks for all your input!
  • I would probably switch to a regular garden salad with a vinagarette and a creamy dressing option.  The chicken doesn't seem appealing to me, but the great thing about a buffet is if I don't like, I just go back and get something else!  I would definitely try it.
  • In Response to Re: Check my menu?:
    [QUOTE]Pele - Good point. I don't think we have any GFers either, but I'll come up with something if we do. ItzMS - That is one reason I was thinking of having a regular green salad with several dressing options. I personally don't like Caesar dressing but FI always tells me I'm weird so I thought it wouldn't be an issue. I'll talk to the venue and see what other dressing choices they have. Nothing on this menu strikes me as Italian (besides the Italian pasta salad which just means it has Italian salad dressing in it) so I don't think that's an issue. Ali - The sirloin won't be cooked to order, but I don't think people really expect that at a buffet? What we got was probably medium to medium-well done.
    Posted by JennaMichelle88[/QUOTE]

oh i didnt know it was a buffet.
    i agree with you nothing on that menu is italian-LOL even though they callt he pasta salad that because of the dressing.

• I"m with everyone else that fruit + chicken is something I'd never ordinarily order, but you've tasted it and say it tastes great, so the menu looks really good!

And I agree with the dressing issue. I always like to get salad at a buffet, but don't care for caesar dressing-- you may have guests who feel the same.  I think it's a great idea to have a few dressing choices for people!  I always thought a vinaigarette was a safe choice until I met a friend who hates vinegar-- I didn't even know it was possible  ;) So I guess it's always good to have choices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards