Wedding Reception Forum

Late Night Food

How important is late night food? I would think having something to munch on after drinking and dancing is a good thing, but our venue doesn't allow outside perishable food (so we couldn't get pizza or anything like that) and our caterer doesn't really have any afforadable options for that. I'm looking to bring in my own because we've already stretched our budget to the max.

That being said, what do you think of a popcorn bar? (Got this idea from pinterest) A bunch of popcorn with different nuts, m&ms, reese's pieces, pretzels, etc to make their own mix. I think it sounds fun, albeit not that filling. I'm not really looking to serve a second meal, though. Do you think something like this would be good? I know I'm not really required to serve late night food since they will be getting a full buffet dinner and dessert, but I think it might be a nice gesture.

Any other ideas for non perishable late night options?

PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Late Night Food

• We had late night sliders and fries, but our caterer had no problem picking them up from a local, well known "burger joint" because they couldn't offer a comparably priced solution.

If they won't allow outside "perishable food", would they consider maybe Dunkin Donuts or donut holes and a coffee bar with disposable cups? This is something nice for guests to take on the go as they leave.

I think the popcorn bar is fine, but agree with you it's not that filling.
  • I think it's a nice idea, but not all that necessary, especially depending on the time of your reception (ie, if dinner is at 7:30 and the reception ends at 10, people probably won't be hungry again yet). However, if you do want to do something, I've seen just regular fries and sweet potato fries before - more filling than popcorn and shouldn't be too expensive (though I do like the popcorn bar idea in and of itself).
  • It is a nice idea but completely not necessary, unless of course you are having an 8 hour reception.

I think for a typical wedding reception lasting 4-5 hours a late night snack is a nice added touch, but if doing so is just going to be a pain in the butt and a budget breaker then it would be perfectly fine to skip.

That being said, I think a popcorn bar is a nice option.  You can offer both sweet and savory options so there is something for everyone.

• We did a candy bar and dessert table.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the replies! Our dinner is starting at about 5:30 and our reception will probably go until about 11:30. Longer receptions are pretty typical in my area. Do you think people would need something around 9:30 or 10:00 if dinner was served at 5:30? I liked that doughnut and coffee idea too! :

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • In Response to Re:Late Night Food:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the replies! Our dinner is starting at about 5:30 and our reception will probably go until about 11:30. Longer receptions are pretty typical in my area. Do you think people would need something around 9:30 or 10:00 if dinner was served at 5:30? I liked that doughnut and coffee idea too! :
    Posted by hordol[/QUOTE]

I think putting the late night snacks out about an hour to an hour and a half before the reception ends is good.

I would also offer up some hot tea as well as coffee.  Some people don't like the jolt of caffine so late at night.

• In Response to Re:Late Night Food:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the replies! Our dinner is starting at about 5:30 and our reception will probably go until about 11:30. Longer receptions are pretty typical in my area. Do you think people would need something around 9:30 or 10:00 if dinner was served at 5:30? I liked that doughnut and coffee idea too! :
    Posted by hordol[/QUOTE]

how long will dinner take? if it's only an hour or so then people will be there for FIVE hours without anything else to eat. you should move the dinner time to later and have HDs or work something out with the caterer for 930 ish

• We're doing a huge meal, with 20 different tapas small plate entrees, which are following a bunch of appetizers, and then we're doing a big ice cream sundae buffet as well as 6 types of cake buffet....so we're not offering any late night snacks.  Plus, we are just doing our reception till 11 pm.

If we were doing a reception till midnight or 1 am, we would have changed the Ice Cream Buffet into Late Night Snacks, and I'd have gone with breakfast stuff.  

I saw this idea on pinterest and thought it was very thoughtful-  a "to go" breakfast buffet

A display of little packets of instant quaker oat meal, mini powdered sugar donuts, herbal tea bags, packets of cabot cheddar cheese or cheese sticks, hard-boiled eggs, salt packets, individual box of raisins, apples, honey packets, plastic spoons, styro cup with lid....Asprin too? 
  • I am having a pancake bar, and it is only 3.5/person. Everyone seems very excited about having pancakes as a late night snack.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards