Getting in Shape
Options

NGIS - xcaly and nextright, talk to me about Texas!

Long story short, I am all over the place.  I'm looking at grad school, staying in the Northeast, or considering a potential opportunity in Texas.  I have been a Northeastern girl my entire life - living either in MA or NJ for all of it.
We're opening a new distribution center in Dallas, and they're looking for people to go.  So...tell me about Texas.  I have visited San Antonio once (yearssss ago) and had a layover in DFW, but that is the extent of my knowledge, aside from stereotypes (terrible ones - like, it's hot and everyone likes steak.  Which is good, I like steak.)

Anniversary

Re: NGIS - xcaly and nextright, talk to me about Texas!

• Options
    Well, Dallas is not one of my favorite cities, but being a native Texan myself, I'm going to have to say you need to visit Austin, or Houston.

Texas IS hot, but it also has snow. No, we don't ride horses everywhere. No, people don't walk around wearing chaps and spurs. Houston is a melting pot, probably the least stereotypical city in the state. Dallas is also a pretty big melting pot. 

The steak comment makes me laugh. We do like our steak, but we also like BBQ. You can get the best of each pretty much anywhere in Texas. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haha, thanks, Allie!  Yay for more Texans being around here!

I would love to consider Austin or Houston, but as Dallas is where we're opening, that's my only re-location option down there.  Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind sharing, why don't you love Dallas?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AllieBear725AllieBear725 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Well, I have some family that lives in Ft. Worth, and it's basically Dallas. They love it there. 

I don't like how confusing the roads are. It's worse than Houston by FAR. Suicide lanes and small entry ramps, and if you drive a compact car like me, it's annoying trying to fly onto the freeway with a bunch of Texas edition trucks heading straight for you :/

The traffic is pretty toxic too, but that's anywhere really. 

Oh, and being I'm from Houston, I'm a Texans fan, and Dallas coyboys........ Well we call them the cowgirls lol. (Not that that's a real deal breaker)

The aquarium is pretty cool, although not as vast as Houston's. I have been to the Zero Gravity park once and that was flippin' awesome. I have never been downtown, but I hear it's pretty diverse and there's a lot of art galleries and entertainment. It's not a bad city by any means. It's growing pretty quickly. 

It will be a huge change from what you're used to. Everything is spread out, and most buildings only go up to 3 floors, but Texas is awesome no matter what!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:NGIS xcaly and nextright, talk to me about Texas!:
    [QUOTE]Oh, you want stereotypes too. Yes, quite a few of us drive trucks. Not all of us, but most of the time trucks will out number cars in a parking lot. Don't take our guns. We'll go down shooting. Though not everyone has that opinion. But the ones that do feel very strongly about it. I personally love my cowboy boots, but you don't see them a whole lot 'in the city' or at offices. We don't just listen to country music. Houston has a great rock station that I listen to. Rodeos are a big deal. But not everyone is a fan though. TexMex around here is pretty good. I am not a fan of Texas BBQ, so my opinion on most that I've found is it sucks.
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]
    Couldn't have said it any better :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!  It's fun to hear about all that stuff.

Traffic will never phase me - we live just between Philly and NYC so traffic is our game up here.  I also drive like a Jersey girl, so I think I could handle the trucks :)
    I do worry about H come sports season - he is a HUGE Eagles fan...

We love happy hours and bars with live music, so it sounds like the entertainment speed might be a bit more our style down there than we are experiencing up here right now (in yuppie central.)

Keep it coming ladies - loving all this! Thank you!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mmm texmex.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I live in DFW and love it.  I'm originally from the Chicago area, and as most Chicagoans, I loathed the idea of living in another city (especially in the south), but I've grown to love it here.  I have lived in suburban areas on both the Fort Worth side and the Dallas side and will say they are very different.  I'm not a big FTW fan, although the Sundance Square area in downtown FTW is fun for bars and restaurants, and because it is much more stereotypical of Texas, I often take my yankee visitors there to make them laugh.  :)

Dallas has so many different areas to choose from depending on what you are looking for.  The city has put a lot of effort into revamping downtown, so the arts district is fun.  There are several museums and an aquarium that are cool, including the Perot Museum that is brand new and I've heard is awesome.  As far as entertainment downtown, my experience is that there are more dance clubs in that area. Between downtown and uptown there is also now a huge park that has a dog park, kid park, and a bunch of food trucks so that is fun. 

Uptown is one of the popular areas for bars and restaurants.  There are a lot of places within walking distance, ranging from sports bars to fancy wine bars and everything in between. Lots of fine dining and good shopping, too.

Within Dallas proper, there are a few residential neighborhoods that are pretty safe to live in and somewhat affordable if you are considering buying a home.  Lake Highlands is one area that comes to mind as being residential and nice.  It is near White Rock lake, which is a fun place to ride bikes, jog, walk, etc. 

Other stuff...this city has become home to a LOT of people from all over the place due to our relatively good economy.  You rarely hear southern accents within Dallas or the Dallas side of the metroplex (FTW, different story :)  The city is really diverse.  I know a lot of people who aren't conservative politically or socially, and many who are.  One negative thing about Dallas that is somewhat true to stereotypes is that appearance and money is a big deal....it is home of the "thirty thousand dollar millionaire."  People flaunt their money more here than they did where I'm from, but it is easy to avoid. 

It is hot and humid in the summer, but I think the mild winters make up for it.  For the past few years we've had one or two snowy days, but nothing major.  The whole city does tend to shut down in the ice or snow because there are so many high bridges on the roads that freeze, and they throw sand all over it instead of salt....we have snow days occasionally when there is maybe an inch on the ground.  I consider that a benefit.  :) 

I can't think of anything else right now, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions.  I really am a big fan of Dallas, although it is still not as awesome as Chicago.  :)

ETA: being from where you are, I don't think the traffic will bother you.  It is nothing compared to Chicago during construction times of the year.  The city is spread out, but it is very small and accessible compared to NYC or Chicago.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards