Catholic Weddings

Days like today make me thankful to be Catholic

Actually, I'm thankful every day, but that's not really the point. 

I suggested to FI that we go to church with his grandmother on Sunday for Mother's Day (since she raised him and all). We'll go to Mass Saturday night so we can have our Liturgy, our Eucharist, our own religious celebration, then we'll go to Lutheran church with her on Sunday. It will make her happy, and it's no real inconvenience to us.

So we told gma that, and she immediately started in on her son (FI's dad) and daughter (FI's aunt), about how they should go to church with her, too, and she's old and it might be her last Mother's Day and if they don't do this, they don't love her and etc., etc., etc.

Well, FI's dad was attending a Brethren Church and is now going to a Bible Baptist church of some kind; FI's aunt attends one of those non-denominational churches with fifty-seven bazillion people that meets in an old car dealership. For both of them, going to her church will mean missing their own.

Thanks to the beauty of vigil Mass, we get to attend our own church AND her church, thus making her very happy! (Until Sunday morning, when we both refuse to take communion and we're once again on her sh!t list). 
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: Days like today make me thankful to be Catholic

• I love days when I'm thankful for the Church! God is good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yay for vigil Masses!  Hopefully your grandmother will understand about Communion someday...
  • I love the vigil Mass. I always have. I'm not sure why, although probably because I'm a night owl, but I like the late-afternoon quiet time. 

And @newlyseliski, I pray that someday FI's grandmother will understand about Communion, but she's old and set in her ways and starting to lose her memory, so we'll just keep smiling and nodding and not taking Communion in her church and getting yelled at for it. I've posted about it before; it's just one of those things you accept when one partner converts and his or her family doesn't really understand Catholicism. 

God is amazing, He truly is. Also, FI and I get to have dinner with a friend of mine (also a cradle Catholic) whose fiance converted to Catholicism. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards