Pre-wedding Parties

Not having a bridal shower? - upset

I am debating on not having a bridal shower which I would be really upset about.

All of my close girl friends/bridesmaids live in a different states. My mom and sister (MOH) live here but I read it is poor etiquette to have them host it. 

I don't really care about recieving gifts but I like the idea of having a fun party just to celebrate being a bride. With cute games and what not.

I feel like if I don't have one I will reget not having that experiance.
Any advice?

Re: Not having a bridal shower? - upset

• In Response to Not having a bridal shower? - upset:
    [QUOTE]I am debating on not having a bridal shower which I would be really upset about. All of my close girl friends/bridesmaids live in a different states. My mom and sister (MOH) live here but I read it is poor etiquette to have them host it.  I don't really care about recieving gifts but I like the idea of having a fun party just to celebrate being a bride. With cute games and what not. I feel like if I don't have one I will reget not having that experiance. Any advice?
    Posted by Kate McCay[/QUOTE]

In some areas it is not frowned upon to have an immediate family member host your shower.  I know my Mom did one for my sister (I would have, but I was living 8 hours away at the time).  Is your sister a bridesmaid?  If so then it would be fine for her to host according to what I have learned.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • In Response to Re: Not having a bridal shower? - upset:
    [QUOTE]Is your sister a bridesmaid?  If so then it would be fine for her to host according to what I have learned.
    Posted by AprilH81[/QUOTE]

She is the maid of honor.
  • LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to Re: Not having a bridal shower? - upset:
    [QUOTE]My mom was a part of planning my shower with her two best friends.  If they (your mom/sister) want to host a shower for you, I doubt anyone these days would judge you-- I definitely would not.  It's one thing to ask them to, but if they want to that is totally fine.
    Posted by erinlin25[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. 

If they offer, I think its fine.  However, you should not ask them to host the shower.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was MOH in my sister's wedding and I hosted her shower. NBD
  • The etiquette rule you are afraid of violating  is actually an outdated one that very few people follow anymore.  It had to do with the fact that the bride used to live at home with her family before she married.

Since most brides are independant of their family by the time they marry nowadays, it's moot anymore.

If your social circle doesn't care, go ahead.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Lyds85Lyds85 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My FMIL and FI's cousins threw my bridal shower for me because my bridesmaids are doing the bachlorette party. I don't think it matters who throws the party. just have fun :)
  • Almost every shower I've been to has been hosted by a mom or sister. Maybe it's a dreaded "regional thing." If they offer and you want a shower, you should accept. I can't see how this could be offensive or uncomfortable for your guests, so if someone has a problem with it, that one weird aunt who you didn't want to invite anyway can stay home.
  • As long as your mom or sister offers to host the shower it's fine.  I actually got a shower invite 2 days ago from a mom hosting for her daughter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards