Offbeat Weddings

Hi I'm pretty new :) - camping/wedding celebration weekend?

Hi, I have been engaged for just about 2 years and have really had no desire to "plan" a wedding. I just wanted to wear a pretty dress and marry my fiance. He wants to go to the courthouse, we have about 20 friends and family that want to be there for it and a bff that wants to officiate. In addition, we've been trying to plan a camping weekend with a bunch of my friends from out of state and new friends here in Wisconsin. My solution? Do it all in one weekend. There is a state park nearby that offers group camping and has a beautiful small outdoor ampitheatre surrounded by trees... not to mention its right on the lake michigan beach. The first available date for a weekend group camp is October 11th. Its also the last available weekend! So it looks like that will be the day! 

Now, as far as the bff wanting to officiate, in WIsconsin, you have to not only be ordained, but you have to register with the local government AND have a referal from a local minister...and thats just not going to happen. So the plan is to go to the courthouse in June, get married (like fi wants to) and then have our "wedding celebration" weekend in October where friends and family can watch us exchange vows and then enjoy a picnic type reception.... head back to the group camp site and party all night long. There is also a hotel about 2 miles from the state park for those who don't wish to camp. 

Has/is anyone doing something similar? We are paying for the camp site for 2 nights, as well as everyone's entry into the state park and food for the reception. It sounds like it is really simple but I have a feeling that its all going to be easier said than done! What do you think? Offbeat enough? lol

Re: Hi I'm pretty new :) - camping/wedding celebration weekend?

• First off, love your idea of a camping wedding!  If I wasn't doing a medieval theme, camping would be my second choice hands down.  Of course, I'm having a winter wedding so that might be a little cold for camping . . . Your ideas sound beautiful!

I just have a suggestion - having a wedding in June and then exchanging vows in October sounds a bit tricky.  Can you find an officiant in the local area that will marry you but allow your friend to be part of the ceremony?  I can see that working much better, if you can swing it.  Less headaches, and it gets confusing when you are already married and are having a different ceremony - that makes it a vow renewal.  I had difficulties having my pastor marry me and my FI, but we found a way to work it with FI's pastor.  Pastors are usually willing to work with you if you are trying to make your ceremony more meaningful by having friends take part. 

I hope you have good weather!  October is hit and miss here in Canada - it can be absolutely gorgeous and warm, or freezing with snow.  What's it like in your area? 

• KaySea6213KaySea6213 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    Warning - This post may get some guff from other brides. There are some very anti-post-wedding-celebration feelings on the knot, as well as anti-weekend-wedding-getaway feelings.

That being said I think your idea sounds sweet. If I were you I'd look into kerbohl suggestion to have an officiant in the local area marry you, but keep bff involved in the ceremony. There are a lot of ways to keep her involved, like having a reading.

Other than that your plan to pay the entrace fee is right on point. Have fun and enjoy the day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Hi I'm pretty new :) - camping/wedding celebration weekend?:
    [QUOTE]Warning - This post may get some guff from other brides. There are some very anti-post-wedding-celebration feelings on the knot, as well as anti-weekend-wedding-getaway feelings. That being said I think your idea sounds sweet. If I were you I'd look into kerbohl suggestion to have an officiant in the local area marry you, but keep bff involved in the ceremony. There are a lot of ways to keep her involved, like having a reading. Other than that your plan to pay the entrace fee is right on point. Have fun and enjoy the day!
    Posted by dammitkrystyn[/QUOTE]

That's not really true. The issue most people on the boards have is the do-over wedding, not the celebration.  I actually think the camping celebration weekend is a nice idea, but some might take exception with the re-exchanging of vows part at the October celebration weekend.  The reason most people have an issue with this is because they'll already be married-since June.
    OP, I think you should do it all in October.  Can you just find an officiant for your October ceremony/celebration?  Have your friend do a part of it, maybe a reading. 
    As far as the weekend long celebration, I don't think that's a bad idea either.  People can decide if they are going to attend the whole weekend or maybe just parts of it, if it's local, which it sounds like it is. 
  • thanks for the advice ladies! We have gone back and forth over how to really do the October celebration. After discussing it with a few locals (fi and I have only lived here a few years), it was brought to my attention that the lake front can be VERY cold in October and could potentially ruin the camping experience.... SO, I think we're just going to do the courthouse wedding or something extremely simple in a local park and have a party at our house...  
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    . . . .but . . . but . . . you can still do a camping weekend can't you?  I thought that was such a cool idea!  Are there any other nice campgrounds nearby with availability in the summer, or is the one you mentioned the only nice one?
    If not, I'm sure you can come up with something equally cool.  Good luck!

• I say go to the courthouse and then go camping afterwords all on the same weekend is my vote.
  • I agree with the ladies that its a shame you are giving up your camping weekend :) June around here is usually great camping weather so maybe you could do the wedding ceeremony and then have a camping weekend after for those interested in June?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards