Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Tipping?

My sister is having a destination wedding.  In June, Mr. Raptor and I go to Jamaica.  We're not great travelers.  In the interest of not being the proverbial (expletive) American, I'm trying to find out about tipping customs.  I don't know when it's expected, or what amount is appropriate.  I asked the resort, but they refused to answer because they don't want to admit tipping might be required.  How did y'all figure this out?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Best Answer

Re: Tipping?

• Options
    TerriHuggTerriHugg member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    I tried to tip at my resort, but they wouldn't allow me too as it was all-inclusive and had a strong no-tipping policy. Meanwhile, I found out that other people in our group tipped and the receivers accepted it. 

Sorry I can't give you better advice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Weve been to 3 resorts and we have tipped at all not ridiculous amounts but for a bartender we liked. Someone who went out of their way at a meal or anything. Housekeeping just about every day so our fridge was def restocked! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @Meg&Austin

So "not ridiculous" means similar to what you'd tip in the US?  Some of my search results quote tipping recommendations in US dollars - is that right?  Do they really take tips in US cash at a resort?

We won't be spending the entire time at the resort, we plan to take a few tours while we're there, so even if the resort doesn't allow tipping, we still have to figure this out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You'd be surprise what a dollar would get you! They appreciate anything. We'd do just a dollar for a good bartender a couple times. couple bucks on the bed a day. And one in the mini fridge under a bottle of beer or water. Kinda dependedo on how much we liked them. I really liked a guy at the beach party who kePt my wine glass filed and gave him 5 bucks.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards