February 2014 Weddings

BEYOND OVERWHELMED

Hi. I'm relatively new to The Knot. I stayed away for a long time because the notion of getting married (mostly the process of) makes me absolutely nauseous. I got engaged back in April and we are looking at Feb. 2014 for the date. We've agreed on the date (yay us!) but now comes the hard part; the planning.

First, a little background on myself. I'm 27 years old and never thought I'd be married. It just wasn't something that I ever made a big deal of. When he asked, I was THRILLED. This is a man that is my friend, my lover, my confidant, my everything. He's great all in all. BUT...I didn't think he was actually serious when he said he'd marry me one day, and definitely not as soon as he proposed. So, being the 27 year old woman that I am, I SHOULD have some sort of idea of where to start when planning a wedding, because, evidently, that's all any woman thinks about her entire life...except for me.

Overwhelmed is the under-statement of the century, I feel. There is SO much to do, and although I'd love to have a traditional wedding (including bridal party, engagement party and what-have-you), I just don't feel like I have the time OR the money for all that. I've been trying to think about it logically but anytime I think of everything that must be done for the day to go off without a hitch, my brain short circuits. Haywire.

What I have done:
Regarding invitations: I will design and print them myself (I figure it's cheaper and I'm pretty handy at photoshop)
Regarding wedding colors: We agreed on his and her colors; grey and turquoise.

What I haven't done:
Everything else.

I don't know that I can be helped, per se. I've recruited my aunt to help me sort it all out, but even so, I go cross eyed at the thought of it all.

I'm so scattered with it all, it's nauseating.

Re: BEYOND OVERWHELMED

• Welcome!

I know this feeling well. First pick a budget, then consider what elements are most important to you, then the feel you want for this wedding. You can go from there.

Do you know how many people?

DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Congrats & Welcome!

I think we all know where you are coming from, when you first look at all the planning involved it gets overwhelming. 

I agree with what Bianca said, pick out a budget that works for the two of  you and find out whether anyone from your families is contributing without asking them to. 

Ask yourself if you want a small intimate ceremony with close friends & immediate family or something larger with all your family and friends.

Start looking at venues, they usually book up to a year out but don't worry the winter months are slow for the wedding industry. 

Plan what type of reception you plan on hosting, dinner, lunch, heavy h'orderves, dry, open bar, decorations etc

Dresses, Dresses, Dresses (this was the hardest part of it all for me, I guess I'm supper picky)

But remember to take it slow, nothing has to be finalized right this moment and if it doesn't feel right don't do it. Focus on one thing at a time and try not to stress about it all.

• If you're on a budget a Brunch reception can be a lovely option as well.

DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I think we're looking at a good amount (100+) of people. I'm thinking a smaller ceremony and a larger reception. Good tips though. Thank you!

• Not trying to harp but remember that some people could get offended by being invited to the reception but not the ceremony.  If I've learned anything from the E board it is definitely that.

• As Lissa said Etiquette wise this does not go over well. Its one thing to have a small wedding then do a large reception if they are on totally different days, and the wedding is something like a destination situation. However only inviting say 15 to the wedding and inviting 100 to a reception is considered a no no.

DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Plus if you don't want them at the ceremony which is the whole reason the day is happening in the first place what makes you want them at the reception to celebrate?
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I never thought I would get married either (I loved loved LOVED being single and the freedom), so I've only been thinking about my wedding for the past year (I confess - a number of months before he actually proposed).  Fortunately FI has been helping me with the planning, so that has made it easier.  Our wedding is going to be more non-traditional, but I think it will still be fun.

I second brunch or lunch if you want something a bit simpler.  I'm doing a lunch reception since I'm not a night owl and it makes me feel less stressed to have a lunch reception. 

Also, keep in mind that most things that people think is an absolute necessity for a wedding actually isn't.  Some sort of food, cake, a ceremony, a venue with heat in the winter, and chairs are necessary.  Everything else is a plus but not the end of the world if you forget. 

• @jakmagestics come back we hope you will stay with us
    DIStickers.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards