July 2013 Weddings
Options

I need a teachers advice!!

So I've mentioned a few times before that my 2 year old is going through our states early intervention program for his speech. His therapist wants us working more n animal sounds and motion sounds to help start building his vocabulary. She reccomended to get some of the plastic animals for him to begin to associate with their sounds. She refered us to a local store for teachers Lakeshore learning, I believe they are nationwide. But their stuff is so expensive!! I have a really hard time spending 50$ on a tub of 20 animals for him. So I am wondering if you guys have any online resources you use to stock your classrooms. Or if you have further suggestions to help with his speech, I'm willing to try just about anything!!

Re: I need a teachers advice!!

• Options
    Retailmenot http://www.retailmenot.com/view/lakeshorelearning.com

I actually worked at lakeshore for like... 3 weeks. 2ND worst job ever (personal training is the lead).. thts besides the point. hope this helps 

• Options

I teach first grade....hope some of this helps!

what about orientaltrading.com, they have great classroom stuff also...

I go to the dollar section at Target...they have toy animals sometimes for supplies in my classroom.

try reallygoodstuff.com also

Hope this helps :)

• Options
    I second the Oriental Trading website...a lot of things there!!!

ReallyGoodStuff and Lakeshore are both a little pricey; Lakeshore has offers and coupons quite often, while ReallyGoodStuff does not. Each Friday they offer 20%, but it's a only for a specific item...

I agree with previous posts, too, about Target....what about a dollar store? I know I've also seen little plastics animals at AC Moore and Michaels. Maybe even check out Amazon?

I have to say, as a teacher, it's wonderful that you are being SO proactive and involved with your kiddo! You'd be surprised how many parent aren't....and often don't get their child the boost that early intervention gives. Kudos to you @Brittanywest05!!!
  • Options
    I am all over oriental trading! However most of the stuff we purchase at the preschool I work is the Lakeshore you mention. Just so we can get years of use from it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!! I will defintitley check out all of those places. I signed up for the lakeshore rewards program so at least I will get coupons for other needed items. @kls33145 thanks! We are trying whatever possible to help him to start talking. I'm so ready to go back to work but I just can't leave him at daycare without him being able to express himself!!
  • Options
    eas1223eas1223 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Do you have Once Upon A Child stores in your area?  They have tons of used toys and most likely have animals.  Also, check your local Craigslist.  I don't think it's necessary to buy brand new LakeShore ones.
  • Options
    Also, craft stores sometimes have stuff like that, not to mention coupons that come out on a weekly basis. I'm a teacher and I refuse to buy stuff from Lakeshore. It's too much money! Also, check out toy stores, and Walmart and target.
  • Options
    Michael's has a whole display full of little bins that have small animals and such. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards