Not Engaged Yet

Need vacation clothes! Shopping suggestions?

Hello ladies!  SO and I are going to Puerto Vallarta in July.  In scanning my closet, I've discovered that I have very little that is warm-weather/beach appropriate.  I used to be somewhat of a shopaholic, but in the last couple of years I've gained some weight and have gone up two sizes.  I stopped really "shopping" for clothes when I started gaining weight.  I pick up things here or there from places like Ross or Marshalls when I need something for work, but it's more of a go-in-blind-and-grab-the-pants-I-think-will-fit scenario rather than actually spending the time to try things on and find things that fit right and look decent on me.  I usually end up taking a lot of things back.  Because of this, I haven't really learned what is flattering on me at my size, and I haven't really found good places to shop.  I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some suggestions about where I could find some summery clothes - sundresses, skirts, linen/cotton/lightweight pants and capris, etc.  Beyond summer and vacation needs, I'd also like to work on finding some places where I can reliably find flattering clothes for my figure for the long-term as well.  I'm a L/XL or 10/12 or 12/14, depending.

Im your huckleberry gif Val Kilmer Tombstone Imgur

Re: Need vacation clothes! Shopping suggestions?

• Believer it or not...Tar-Jey (Target) has some great finds and at decent prices. They have cute maxi skirts and simple cotton tops and usually have a good selection of summer dresses. I myself am in the same boat as you with the shopping and weight thing, and I tend to have luch with Target. I also like thier swim wear section because they have a nice assortment of cover ups.

Good Luck!

• I buy my vacation clothes at Old Navy. I order online (I'm the laziest shopper) and I'll get my "true" size and one size up since ON clothes are a little weird in sizing then whatever doesn't fit I return to the store.

Kohls also has some nice summer clothes. TBH, this is the first year I haven't bought a whole new wardrobe for vacation. This is our third time to Mexico and I'm just at the point of "meh, no one cares what I wear anyway" so I'll probably recycle a lot of clothes I wore last summer and the summer before.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Do you have a Nordstrom's Rack nearby?  They have a huge selection and a lot of their prices are really reasonable.  I just bought an awesome maxi skirt there this weekend for like $25 so I have them on the brain!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love Ann Taylor Loft and their selection. I believe their clothes fit nicely and their sales are wonderful. 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'll second Ann Taylor Loft. I wear your size (12/14 and L )and a lot of their tops are very flattering. I just got some new cropped pants for work, a tank top and a new tee. I guess it depends on your budget but they usually have some sort of sale going on and they always have a pretty wide selection of clothes on clearance. I try not to pay full price with them but it's really easy to get coupon codes and whatnot through their emails and their Facebook page.

• I also love Ann Taylor.  And the Loft.  And MAINLY the outlet, because I like cheaper stuff :)

BUT, I wish they had more in teal so I could find a cute engagement pic dress haha.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I am also a 12 (I'm creeping back up to a 14, ugh...) and usually a size large in tops.  I'm also short (5'3) so I have trouble finding things that fit.

Department stores are your friend.  They carry a lot of designers that will have different shapes and fabrics.

I'm 32 and one of my favorite stores is Christopher & Banks.  Their clothes are kind of hit or miss (sometimes their clothes are "teacher" clothes) and sometimes they are very nice.  A lot of their tops can be both vacation wear and work appropriate as long as you don't have to dress super professional.

JC Penny and Kohl's are places I can usually find some cheap clothes.  I bought several sundresses at JC Penny recently that were all under $45.

If you have a Belk around you I find stuff there all the time.  Unfortunately the closest one to me is at my parent's local mall 2.5 hours away (my credit card thanks me though).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I love JC Penny and Kohls. I'm riding the 12-14 line also.

I highly suggest you take an afternoon and just shop for yourself.  am picky about the way things look on me, but once I find a brand and a cut that works, it continues to work well. I prefer going by myself because I'm usually in an out in about an hour with some success.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I had totally forgotten about Ann Taylor Loft - I found some great things at the outlet store last winter for under $20 each.  AprilH81 - we're twins!  I'm also 5'3", and yes, finding things that fit can be a pain.  I think I'll take Sydaries suggestion and just take a shopping day for myself.  I try to get away with just grabbing off the rack because I get so discouraged trying things on and finding so little that fits, but you're right, it will be worth the investment to find some brands and styles that work for me.
    Im your huckleberry gif Val Kilmer Tombstone Imgur
  • I wear a 10 or 12.  And for shirts, I usually wear a Large.

I love Kohls, Target, TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, and sometimes Forever 21.  You absolutely can look put together (and pretty!) at any size.  The key is to accept that you may not look as good in certain styles/cuts of pants/dresses/tops as you did when you were a size 6.

Wear outfits that flatter your curves and are not skin tight.  Go for flowier tops.  Dresses with structure that are fitted at the top and then float away from the body.  Things like that.

Good luck!
  • relliotts said:
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I had totally forgotten about Ann Taylor Loft - I found some great things at the outlet store last winter for under $20 each.  AprilH81 - we're twins!  I'm also 5'3", and yes, finding things that fit can be a pain.  I think I'll take Sydaries suggestion and just take a shopping day for myself.  I try to get away with just grabbing off the rack because I get so discouraged trying things on and finding so little that fits, but you're right, it will be worth the investment to find some brands and styles that work for me.
    It IS tough - I've tried on 30 pairs of jeans of different styles and brands in ONE shopping trip to Kohls a few years ago - I walked away with one ill-fitting pair. It can be discouraging, but don't let it get to you! You will look WAY better if you find something in the right size for your body that fits you well instead of something in the size you think you are that is off of the rack. :) Trust me! I'm 23, also 5'3" and ~185 lbs. It's tough and hard realizing that I can't wear some of the styles that my fellow 23 year olds do, but I am confident that I AM just as, if not more, fabulous than they are because I'm dressing for myself instead of for the trend.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a huge fan of sun dresses. I buy most of mine from American Eagle, and Target.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards