Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Just Engaged - Venue Suggestions?

Hi all!! My fiance (ahhh) and I just got engaged on 11/11... but everyone is ready to start planning ASAP!  And I need help from all you experienced brides lol... We originally wanted the date 10/20/12 but seems like everything gets booked so quickly that we might have to have our wedding in 2013.  Thoughts?  We are looking at the Vie this weekend... has anyone heard anything about this new venue?  There are no pictures online so I'm not sure what to expect.  We are having about 350ish people (freaking out!!!).  The budget for the venue is not an issue... we just really want a unique venue!! We also want to look at Arts Ballroom, Penn Museum, Water Works, Bellevue, Trust, Kimmel Center, and Tendenza.  We want the reception and ceremony at the same location.  We'd prefer to stay in center city but are open to check out other areas.  Any suggestions/tips on venues are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!! 

Re: Just Engaged - Venue Suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    Congrats!!  That's a big guest list... bless your heart and your sanity hahahaha.

The best advice I ever got from a friend who was planning her wedding at the time was to take at least a week and just enjoy being engaged. 

Vie is getting a LOT of good buzz right now.  October is also one of the most popular months to get married, so if you're totally set on October, you might have to wait until 2013.  That's not to say that you won't find a venue for October 2012, but it might be tough.

What about the Franklin Institute or the Please Touch Museum?  They can be up there price-wise, but if you have a healthy budget, I think they're worth looking into.  iIf I could have had my wedding anywhere, I would have picked Citizens Bank Park.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • lczabatorlczabator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Cescaphe Ballroom, which is owned by the same group that owns Vie. When we were looking at venues, Vie wasn't open yet, but Cescaphe had their vision board set up, so I was able to see that. It seems the best way to describe it is "swanky ballroom"...I remember lots of blues and whites and silver. There are a few videos of events at Vie on YouTube...type in Vie Philadelphia, and some will pop up that will give you a general idea of what it looks like. If you do end up at either Vie or Tendenza, know that I have been 100% completely satisfied with the service I've received from Cescaphe so far. EVERY single person that I have spoken with has been nothing but accommodating, nice and helpful. I probably called them 6 or 7 times before we booked to ask questions, and they were always so nice. Not once did they make me feel anything less than a priority. And I never felt pressured to make a decision, which was so important to me. Congratulations on your engagement, and wherever you end up, good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!
  • lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  You're just like me --- I got engaged, said I wanted to wait a bit to start planning, and then ended up picking my venue within a week, band, and photographer within a week of being engaged! 

The Cescaphe group is great with weddings.  Def take a look at Tendenza, but I was there for a wedding over the summer with 200 guests and the ballroom and cocktail hour space was EXTREMELY tight.  With 350, I can't imagine that you'd really be able to move in the ballroom.

Kimmel Center is totally redoing their event space right now.  It sounds like it will be really neat. When I looked there, they didn't even have blueprints done yet, so we were hesitant to book with them.  But they're scheduled to be completed with the rennovations this winter, so it should be fine for a fall 2012 or 2013 wedding.  The one thing I didn't like about Kimmel, was that after my hour long meeting with them, there was no clear idea about the costs - as in she could name the price of various rental fees but couldn't give me even a ballpark number of the average cost per plate for the caterer.   

If you're open to the more modern hotel ballroom, I'm getting married at the Loews and I think the space is fantastic.  The cocktail hour would be on their 33rd floor - so great views of the city.  And then they have two different ballrooms to choose from, which can easily hold 300+.  The catering manager David that I've been working with is absolutely fantastic, and just about every other vendor that I've booked afterward has independently said how wonderful David is. 

As far as other hotels in Philly - Bellvue is definitely big enough.  Four Seasons might be.  But I'm guessing that your party is too big for the Ritz, Sofitel, definitely Le Meridian (they told me 125-150 max).  And I'm not sure about the Rittenhouse Hotel. 

Please Touch would also be a good option for a group of that size.  I was at a 150-200 person wedding there, and the bride and groom had to curtain off part of the room so that their wedding wouldn't look lost in the space.  But, the parents of the bride and groom said that after all was said and done with having to bring in caterers, rentals, etc, they could have saved money by getting married at the Four Seasons.  Don't know if that's entirely accurate, but it was said.

Since your party is so big, when you email the representatives to set up appts - ask what their max capacity is.  The worst thing would be to go look at a space, fall in love, and have them tell you they can only seat 200.  Also, if the space looks small-ish but they say it can fit your size, ask for photos of an event of your size.  Tendenza claims they'll seat 200+ (I think) but it was really tight at my friend's wedding.  And the dancefloor was so tiny b/c of the number of tables - most guests were actually dancing in between tables. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kirab2kirab2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I checked into cescaphe and I remember tendenza being a smaller space.... the atrium is gorgeous though. 

January Siggy ****weight loss**** image Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011

Wow!! Thank you every for your responses and opinions.. and congrats!!!!

RecoveringActor – hahaha.. my sanity is already gone!  I didn’t realize October was a popular month, I always thought it was off season… boy was I wrong!  Definitely will check out both the Franklin Institute and the Please Touch Museum… not sure how I feel about the huge Ben Franklin statute in the middle but otherwise it’s a beautiful space.

Iczabator – “Swanky ballroom” sounds nice!  I never thought to youtube weddings.. but there are actually a lot of informative videos! I too know someone that got married at Cescaphe and they loved the service.  I have no doubt that I will too be a satisfied customer if I choose a Cescaphe Group venue J

Lauren – I don’t know about picking the venue, bank, and photographer… but sounds like I might be picking a venue hahah! We certainly don’t want people to be packed in and we want our guests to be able to dance.. so looks like Tendenza might be out.. even though I think it’s gorgeous!!  I hope Vie is similarly beautiful!  I didn’t know Kimmel Center was redoing their space… now I’m event more excited about checking them out!!!  Hopefully they have their act together regarding prices by now.  I have been to a wedding at the Loew’s and also know someone that works there so there is on our list to visit also.  Hearing good things about David is refreshing!  Thanks for the hotel breakdown.. it helps to eliminate some places.  I do like the idea of Please Touch allowing to bring in your own vendors but you are right we really need to see if its cost effective.  Also good point about venues saying they can fit more than they really can.  Your post was SUPER helpful!!!! Thanks!!

Kirab – Atrium is beautiful but it is out because the fiancé takes exams there and therefore has bad memories there lol.

Thanks to all again!  I will keep you posted on the process and the final decision!

Wow!! Thank you every for your responses and opinions.. and congrats!!!!   RecoveringActor – hahaha.. my sanity is already gone!  I didn’t realize October was a popular month, I always thought it was off season… boy was I wrong!  Definitely will check out both the Franklin Institute and the Please Touch Museum… not sure how I feel about the huge Ben Franklin statute in the middle but otherwise it’s a beautiful space.   Iczabator – “Swanky ballroom” sounds nice!  I never thought to youtube weddings.. but there are actually a lot of informative videos! I too know someone that got married at Cescaphe and they loved the service.  I have no doubt that I will too be a satisfied customer if I choose a Cescaphe Group venue J   Lauren – I don’t know about picking the venue, bank, and photographer… but sounds like I might be picking a venue hahah! We certainly don’t want people to be packed in and we want our guests to be able to dance.. so looks like Tendenza might be out.. even though I think it’s gorgeous!!  I hope Vie is similarly beautiful!  I didn’t know Kimmel Center was redoing their space… now I’m event more excited about checking them out!!!  Hopefully they have their act together regarding prices by now.  I have been to a wedding at the Loew’s and also know someone that works there so there is on our list to visit also.  Hearing good things about David is refreshing!  Thanks for the hotel breakdown.. it helps to eliminate some places.  I do like the idea of Please Touch allowing to bring in your own vendors but you are right we really need to see if its cost effective.  Also good point about venues saying they can fit more than they really can.  Your post was SUPER helpful!!!! Thanks!!   Kirab – Atrium is beautiful but it is out because the fiancé takes exams there and therefore has bad memories there lol.   Thanks to all again!  I will keep you posted on the process and the final decision!
  • I am also looking to book a venue for about 350 people. What did you decide on?  We were in love with Loews but their price was a little above what we were looking to spend.  We are leaning towards the Crystal Tea Room but a friend is getting married there 6 months before us there which makes it a little less special.  We have looked at the Cescaphe places (beautfiul - but prefer CTR and they negotiated more with us then Cescaphe).  Any other places I am missing??? Would love to hear your feedback!!!
  • Does anyone know what the off season months are for cescaphe? And Prices?
    Does anyone know what the minimum amount of people for the Tendenza is?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards