Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Appetizers Enough for a Wedding?

Our beautiful venue is a chic lounge, with limited kitchen capabilities. The chef, who typically prepares small plates for customers at the lounge, is willing to do a number of small plates that would be passed by wait staff we will hire.
My question: How do we make this feel like our guests are not being cheated out of a full dinner meal? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Appetizers Enough for a Wedding?

• Options
    I think the average of appetizers per guest is 12-15? You could always have the wedding at a non-meal time as well so people won't expect a full blown meal.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Appetizers Enough for a Wedding?:[QUOTE]Our beautiful venue is a chic lounge, with limited kitchen capabilities. The chef, who typically preparesnbsp;small plates for customers at the lounge, is willing to do a number of small plates that would be passed by wait staff we will hire. My question: How do we make this feel like our guests are not being cheated out of a full dinner meal? Any ideas? Thanks! Posted by stephenandart[/QUOTE]

If your wedding is at a meal time, you need to have enough appetizers to create a full meal. Does the venue have a fridge? Could you bring in extra appetizers and create a mini buffet in addition to what the chef is preparing? Like maybe a cold salad buffet? Green salad, pasta salad, potato salad?

Just some ideas.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs that a the time of your wedding will determine if appetizers are enough; if your cermeony and reception are during meal time (11 AM to 2PM, 5PM - maybe even 4 PM - to 8 PM), you need to have enough food to constitute a meal.  If you are only serving appetizers, this really needs more portions and some heartier portions - mini sliders, chicken skewers, "cupcake" mac and cheese, etc.

I think cmgilpin has a great idea - carve out some space for stations and see if you can supplement passed appetizers with salads, sandwiches, or something that guests could take/make for themselves and not have to chase a waiter down to get.  For me, personally, the worse part of an event with only passed appetizers is wanting something and not being able to find or flag down a server to get it. 

You mentioned you have a lounge setting - do you have a seat for each guest so that everyone can sit and eat? 
    Anniversary

• Options
    Even something as simple as rounding out your passed small-plates with chafing dishes filled with hearty pastas, a large bowl of mixed green salad, and a cheese/hummus/dips/fruit spread would be great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards