Kansas

Wichita Ceremony Sites - Wichita locals, please help!

So, I just got engaged this past weekend and I am already beginning the search for different ceremony venues in Wichita even though we aren't planning on a wedding until Spring or Fall 2013. I have a feeling it might be something that takes a while for us which is why I'm getting on it so fast!

We're looking for something indoors since I don't trust Wichita weather AT all. Also, my fiancé and I are in agreement that we'd like the ceremony to be in a church or some kind of Christian-based venue. I am Christian (originally southern Baptist) but I go to a non-denominational church that does not have a building. He is Catholic, goes to mass regularly, but doesn't really go to the same church all the time. My parents don't live in KS and his parents live in Mt Hope and are members of the St. Joe parish. Although St Joe has a beautiful church, we don't really want to have the wedding out there because it is so far out of the way and we'll have quite a few out-of-town guests. I am open to a Catholic church just not having a Catholic ceremony/mass. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Wichita Ceremony Sites - Wichita locals, please help!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kansas_wichita-ceremony-sites-wichita-locals-please-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:92Discussion:0704ea29-d108-4354-b85e-8948ef440420Post:e7379b4d-b9ce-4f6e-a07a-192739bf6015">Wichita Ceremony Sites - Wichita locals, please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I just got engaged this past weekend and I am already beginning the search for different ceremony venues in Wichita even though we aren't planning on a wedding until Spring or Fall 2013. I have a feeling it might be something that takes a while for us which is why I'm getting on it so fast! We're looking for something indoors since I don't trust Wichita weather AT all. Also, my fiancé and I are in agreement that we'd like the ceremony to be in a church or some kind of Christian-based venue. I am Christian (originally southern Baptist) but I go to a non-denominational church that does not have a building. He is Catholic, goes to mass regularly, but doesn't really go to the same church all the time. My parents don't live in KS and his parents live in Mt Hope and are members of the St. Joe parish. Although St Joe has a beautiful church, we don't really want to have the wedding out there because it is so far out of the way and we'll have quite a few out-of-town guests. I am open to a Catholic church just not having a Catholic ceremony/mass. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Posted by chase041387[/QUOTE]

<div>There are tons of Catholic churches in Wichita to choose from! Will you have a big or smaller wedding? You can look into the Cathedral downtown...although I am not sure they will be finished with renovations yet. St. Thomas is a beautiful church, as is Blessed Sacrament. I have been looking at local wedding photographers' blogs and looking at the churches other couples have been married in. This shows which churches are photographed well and are more in line with my taste. I hope this helps!</div>
  • Well.... let me start off by saying good luck with finding a Catholic church here in Wichita that won't stick their nose up at you!! We had the worst time ever trying to find a church here. I am Christian just not Catholic and my fi is Catholic and kind of like yours and didn't attend the same church every week. We were told by pretty much every Catholic church here in Wichita that if we weren't "parishioners their (at that church specifically) for at least 6 months already they wouldn't even talk to us"!! So with that said... lol....  I am now in classes to become catholic because that is the only way to have a ceremony/reception in one. Thankfully my fi's parents are really good friends with the priests and have lots of connections. Our priest who is marrying us I think is doing it as a favor for his parents. Also have you talked to him about the whole Catholic thing?! It is a very big deal in the Catholic church to not be married in a Catholic Mass/ceremony. They won't acknowledge your marriage as a sacrament or bless it. This I found out from talking to his family more than him is EXTREMELY important!!  Ok so off my soap box I go... if you have any questions please feel free to message me!! I promise I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but I really was in tears for awhile and about to pull my hair out and wish someone would have warned me!!  
  • my brother years ago got married at the masonic lodge in Wichita, nice sanctuary without the drama of the 'church'. It was very nice and it was cheaper for them than most other churches. With plenty of room to keep the bride and groom separated until it's time.
  • chase041387chase041387 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    @randyandjanine:
    Well...taking classes to become a Catholic is not an option for me as I am pretty firmly rooted in my Protestatism :) But I've also done a lot of research and from what I understand, what you can and can't do varies based on the priest/bishop you talk to. But I keep keep reading a lot of sites that say for the Catholic church to recognize the marriage, there does not have to be a mass but a priest just has to at least be there to witness it and you must do the Catholic pre-wedding counseling. Also, the bishop has to approve the location and they don't usually approve a location that isn't a church or place of worship. My fi is calling his old priest this week to find out for sure what has to be done. I'm hoping that since my fi's parents are really active in that church and the priest there still knows my fi really well, maybe the priest will be willing to pull some strings at a church here in town. I'm a little bit frazzled about it too!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kansas_wichita-ceremony-sites-wichita-locals-please-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:92Discussion:0704ea29-d108-4354-b85e-8948ef440420Post:94a80f20-425b-46b2-84ba-3264aab911d9">Re: Wichita Ceremony Sites - Wichita locals, please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@randyandjanine : Well...taking classes to become a Catholic is not an option for me as I am pretty firmly rooted in my Protestatism :) But I've also done a lot of research and from what I understand, what you can and can't do varies based on the priest/bishop you talk to. But I keep keep reading a lot of sites that say for the Catholic church to recognize the marriage, there does not have to be a mass but a priest just has to at least be there to witness it and you must do the Catholic pre-wedding counseling. Also, the bishop has to approve the location and they don't usually approve a location that isn't a church or place of worship. My fi is calling his old priest this week to find out for sure what has to be done. I'm hoping that since my fi's parents are really active in that church and the priest there still knows my fi really well, maybe the priest will be willing to pull some strings at a church here in town. I'm a little bit frazzled about it too! @hgilmer2: Was it the Masonic Lodge or the Eastern Star Chapel at the KS Masonic Home? I've been looking at that chapel but I don't know that it would be big enough. Or was it the Scottish Rite Center?
    Posted by chase041387[/QUOTE]

My fiance is Catholic and I am not but we are getting married in his church which is St. Katherine's on North ridge, it's a little past 29th and its just recently been built. They finished building it earlier this year and it is BEAUTIFUL. Father Dan is the person who is officiating and he is probably the nicest non-judgemental priest I have ever met. We love him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi!  I know it's been quite awhile since you posted, but I thought I'd reply anyway.  We are similar to you guys, except that we are both Catholic but have not been practicing for years.  We both agreed that we want to have a church wedding, and we decided on a Catholic church wedding b/c it's the cheapest route.  Yes, they make you join the church, but we are ok with that, and IT'S FREE!  The only charge is renting the parish hall for the reception/dinner/dance, which is $350.  We are getting married at Church of the Magdalen at 127th & 21st.  I was so surprised when I found out how much venues cost these days.  Holy moly!  Hope you found a church!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards