Outdoor Weddings
Options

Backyard wedding help!

So to fill you in our wedding budget was slashed last week (like majorly...) and we are debating moving the wedding to my fiance's parents back yard(also in a different city)... Before we walk away from the money that we already put in deposits I really want to think it through.  Most important to see if an outdoor/backyard wedding will still have the "wedding feel"...

I told my fiance that i could care less where we get married as long as its August 31, 2013 and to him -- haha.. the most important thing is the marriage and i can'tw ait!... 

So... 
1- how do i make a backyard wedding awesome and still have the wedding feel?
2- how do i make sure i'm comfortable with the idea bc it is the TOTAL opposite of the original wedding we planned

thoughts?

Re: Backyard wedding help!

• Options
    We're having our wedding in our backyard.  We're renting a large tent for the reception, my fiancé is making a dance floor for us and we are still adding our own touches to everything and decorating!  I think it's going to turn out great!
  • Options
    For ideas on different looks for a backyard wedding, you may want to do some Pinterest searching or even Google. You can definitely still get the wedding look and feel in a backyard. Does it look like it will accommodate the amount of guests you plan on having? I know usually people will do a tent in a backyard but those can bust the budget completely. There are plenty of ways to decorate a backyard with flowers, arches, etc. and still get the wedding you want. Don't psych yourself out about this being completely opposite of what you planned. Do what you can handle financially and I'm positive it'll still be the wedding you had hoped for.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ab6704aab6704a member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013

So sorry to hear about your budget issues so close to the wedding - how stressful that must be.  FI and I decided right away that we wanted to have our wedding at home in our backyard, partly because of budget but also because we just wanted a relaxed inviting event.  Even though it's in the backyard, I am still planning to rent tables/chairs/linens and a tent (because if I don't it WILL rain), we'll have professional flower arrangements, and it's being catered.  I feel like those elements (plus other little touches) will give some polish to it without being super expensive. 

I'm not sure how you can make sure you're comfortable with the idea (I still have fleeting thoughts of booking a more traditional venue) but I know for me, having the wedding at home is going to be much more hands on the day of (directing the caterers and party rental people where to set up, etc) because it's at my homw so that would be something to consider. 

Good luck with your decision!!

• Options
    Flowers and lights! Make the back yard look extra special.  Its all about the presentation. There are so many ways to decorate you have lots of options. 
  • Options
    bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    How many people are we talking here? That will have a big impact on whether or not this would be feasible.

Backyard weddings can be lovely, but if you are already uncomfortable with the idea, I wouldn't go for it. There's no way to make a simple backyard wedding into a glamorous ballroom. If you had a more formal event in mind, maybe you could work with vendors to change the time of your wedding. A sophisticated brunch might be an easier change for you to accept, and you might not lose as many deposits that way.

Backyard weddings for a medium to large guestlist can be pretty expensive. We considered it, but the financial implications were just too much. With a backyard wedding, you'll need a rain plan, which means renting a tent if you don't have indoor space big enough for the guestlist. You also need to make sure you have bathrooms, as most homes' systems can't handle usagee of 100+ people. Add on all the tables chairs, lighting, insurance, and other expenses, and you are looking at thousands of dollars.

We rented a picnic shelter at a pretty park for our reception, and had our ceremony on the grounds for $50 reservation fee. We still had to pay to rent chairs for the ceremony and a few extra tables, but having a built-in rain plan and bathrooms saved us at least $2000.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards