Getting in Shape
Options

I need some advice on exersice and diet.

I can't seem to lose weight even though I don't eat sweets and the only thing I drink is water. When I do lose some I can't seem to keep it off.

Re: I need some advice on exersice and diet.

• Options
    Do you track your calories? This works for many people. 

I would also suggest constantly changing up your workout routine. Doing the same things over and over won't give you as many results. 
  • Options
    How is your sleep and stress? Poor sleep and chronic stress = body hangs on to every ounce of fat for dear life.
  • Options
    Also, do you actually have fat to lose? Maybe your body is content with where it is. Are you noticing other marks of progress (looking and feeling better, clothes fitting differently) rather than just the scale weight, which is often not a good measure of progress or health?
  • Options
    In Response to Re: I need some advice on exersice and diet.:
    [QUOTE]Also, do you actually have fat to lose? Maybe your body is content with where it is. Are you noticing other marks of progress (looking and feeling better, clothes fitting differently) rather than just the scale weight, which is often not a good measure of progress or health?
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

That's a good question! Over the past 2 months, I've upped my weight lifting, am eating way more and I've gained about 5 pounds BUT I look thinner, feel better and my clothes are fitting looser. Most times the scale isn't the best gauge of your progress.
  • Options
    Get the app MyNetDiary and track your diet and exercise (honestly!). I know it seems basic, but losing weight is math - 3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat. 

If your body doesn't burn calories as easily, you just need to work out harder for longer (trust me, I know it sucks). Muscle mass also burns more calories, so try doing lots of reps with lighter wieghts - no, you will not bulk up like the Hulk. :) You should be working out hard for at least 30 minutes (do 60 if you can swing it) 4 days a week. On your off days, do "leisure" fitness (go for walks, go hiking, do housework to Michael Jackson, etc.). 

As far as diet goes, try "eating clean". Basically, lean cuisines and other processed stuff is out and raw, simple stuff is in. If you read the ingredients and don't know what they are or they sound like something from chemistry class, don't eat it. After a few weeks, you won't even want the stuff you used to want because it'll seem "too rich/sweet/heavy" and you'll feel awesome. 

• Options
    Weight isn't the only way to measure your fitness level. If you have upped your weights it couldbe you are gaining muscle mass which can translate in a couple of extra pound but since it's muscle, you look leaner and your clothes might fit better. Don't be a slave to the scale!
  • Options
    keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Get the app MyNetDiary and track your diet and exercise (honestly!). I know it seems basic, but losing weight is math - 3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat. 

If your body doesn't burn calories as easily, you just need to work out harder for longer (trust me, I know it sucks). Muscle mass also burns more calories, so try doing lots of reps with lighter wieghts - no, you will not bulk up like the Hulk. :) You should be working out hard for at least 30 minutes (do 60 if you can swing it) 4 days a week. On your off days, do "leisure" fitness (go for walks, go hiking, do housework to Michael Jackson, etc.). 

As far as diet goes, try "eating clean". Basically, lean cuisines and other processed stuff is out and raw, simple stuff is in. If you read the ingredients and don't know what they are or they sound like something from chemistry class, don't eat it. After a few weeks, you won't even want the stuff you used to want because it'll seem "too rich/sweet/heavy" and you'll feel awesome. 

I'm gonna have to disagree with the lighter weights comment. You lift your purse, grocery bags, ect all the time and you don't have killer arms, right? Go heavy with fewer reps to build muscle. Us women don't have the testosterone to bulk up like men do, so don't be afraid of the bigger weights.

Also maybe try working some conditioning training into your workouts? Maybe once or twice a week depending on your fitness level.And example would be doing 20 seconds of push ups, squats, jumping lunges, sit ups, and bear crawls with 20 second rests in-between each and repeat 2-3 times. It's good cardio but also gets some strength training in. I also say to count your calories to see if maybe your going over what you need to be at.
  • Options
    keochan said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with the lighter weights comment. You lift your purse, grocery bags, ect all the time and you don't have killer arms, right? Go heavy with fewer reps to build muscle. Us women don't have the testosterone to bulk up like men do, so don't be afraid of the bigger weights.

Also maybe try working some conditioning training into your workouts? Maybe once or twice a week depending on your fitness level.And example would be doing 20 seconds of push ups, squats, jumping lunges, sit ups, and bear crawls with 20 second rests in-between each and repeat 2-3 times. It's good cardio but also gets some strength training in. I also say to count your calories to see if maybe your going over what you need to be at.
    Agreed! I lift heavy just about every workout at crossfit (since August 2011) and my arms and butt are skinnier than they've ever been, but very toned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards