Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

First Crack at the Vows

After a few installments of writing, I think I have a draft that I like. The idea of settling down is pretty important to me as I've spent a good portion of my life 'wandering'. It ended up being kind of 'themey', but I hope not too much so. Critiques please!

Todd, my love, my partner in life: I've lived all over this country and on the other side of the world, met lots of great people, and spent a lot of time on my own. I've never been one to take the direct or easy route to achieve my goals. My words to live by have become "Not all who wander are lost". Today, as I stand with you, those words have never been more true to me. Every journey I've taken has led me here to you. When you came into my life I knew I'd found something special, something different. You are someone who makes me feel at home; I am so thrilled to be starting our lives together in marriage.

When I sat down to think of the promises I wanted to make to you in front of our friends and family today, the idea of "home" kept returning to me. The majority of my life has been spent moving, travelling, wandering. I have always found home where my family is. Today is the beginning of our family.

I want to be your home; I vow to be your roof, when you need sheltering; I promise to be your support in your life's decisions, and help to build a foundation for our family; I will be your windows, to help you see and experience the world; I vow be your mirror to reflect your best self back to you.

I love you now, forever, and for all time.

ETA: not a XP... Apparently the Vows board doesn't work anymore just mine?, so it's only on here
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First Crack at the Vows

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

I like it overall except that you don't really promise him much...  You do a lot of talking but you really don't vow all that much.

I have the same problem with the vows board. I don't know what's up...

• Options
    In Response to Re: First Crack at the Vows:
    [QUOTE]I like it overall except that you don't really promise him much...  You do a lot of talking but you really don't vow all that much. I have the same problem with the vows board. I don't know what's up...
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I think you could lose the whole second paragraph and it would be fine. Also, you quote Tolkien with "not all who wander are lost," and it bothers the literature nerd in me that you don't cite that.
  • Options
    Thank you all for confirmin what I already suspected. The 'home' metaphor came to me quickly and easily, but now I feel sort of bound by the imagery. I thought I needed more vows, but couldn't think of anything else that fit well, except 'I will be your toilet to take away all of life's sh!t... Probably not appropriate. I think I will try again tonight with the same sentiments but without the metaphor. Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I reported to the tech team that the vows board isn't working...hopefully they can fix it soon.
  • Options
    In Response to First Crack at the Vows:
    [QUOTE]After a few installments of writing, I think I have a draft that I like. The idea of settling down is pretty important to me as I've spent a good portion of my life 'wandering'. It ended up being kind of 'themey', but I hope not too much so. Critiques please! Todd, my love, my partner in life: A great person once said "Not all who wander are lost". Today, as I stand with you, those words have never been more true to me. Through all my travels and traverses, every journey I've taken has led me here to you. When you came into my life I knew I'd found something special, something different. You are someone who makes me feel at home. Someone who reminds me that no matter where I may wander, I will never be lost as long as we have each other. With you I am home. And today I promise you the following things throughout whatever journey life takes us: * insert some non-metaphor laden vows here* I love you now, forever, and for all time. ETA: not a XP... Apparently the Vows board doesn't work anymore just mine?, so it's only on here
    Posted by jenn5628[/QUOTE]

• Options
    Oh man, that's beautiful! Thanks NOLA!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You're quite welcome. It was a beautiful theme, it just needed a little clean up ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards