Getting in Shape
Options

Help!!

I have been fighting the bulge for a long time now. I have tried diets, workout dvds, gyms, pills and everything in between to lose weight. I recently found out that I have a thyroid disorder and I have a medical condtion called pseudotumor cerebri which causes me to retatin high amounts of fluids. I am on medications for these and I am still packing on the pounds. My doctor has put me on Adipex before and I lost over 70 pounds, but I gained it all back quite rapidly. I am not looking for a quick fix or anything I just need some advice. Now that I have my knee and back problems controlled, I have started walking and I have CUT OUT the pop. I haven't had one in months. I do however have a really bad sweet tooth. Like I said, I am not looking for a quick fix, I just need some advice as what to do. I have 5 months before my wedding and I have lost 20 pounds so far, I just know that I can and want to lose a lot more. Any kind of help is apprectiated. Thanks!!!

Re: Help!!

• Options
    Wow, thyroid issues are the worst. I can relate there... give the new medications some time.But great job on the soda, and 20 pounds is awesome! Don't get discouraged, no matter what. 

That being said, make sure you keep up with your walking (and always stretch before hand). Increase your distance and/or speed whenever you feel able. Swinging your arms while you walk burns a ton of extra calories, too.

You could also try putting up pictures of your wedding dress (or other inspiration) anywhere you might look to satisfy your sweet tooth. That might be on your pantry, on your refrigerator or in your wallet. Every time you go to grab something, you'll be reminded of your goal and why you want to skip your sweets sometimes. While eliminating them entirely might be preferable, it could be really difficult. Try creating a reward system or something. Like maybe after five instances of turning down sweets and making a healthy choice instead, you get to have the sweets once. 

"Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jh715jh715 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Lift weights.  Resistance training is the BEST way to boost your metabolism long term.

I'm currently doing resistance training 3x/week, HIIT cardio 2x/week and steady state cardio 2x/week.  Building muscle is the best way to burn fat.

Also watch what you're eating.  Snack regularly, but make it healthy.  Try to have protein and fibrous carbs everytime you eat.  Drink LOTS of water.  By drinking 3L of water every day, you can increase you metabolism by up to 33%.
  • Options
    Well I am not actually on my thyroid medication anymore, my doctor took me off them. I did put the wedding dress pictures up though and they are working, I am picking healthier options when it comes to snacking. It is difficult and I havent cut sweets out totally, but I limit myself more and more. I drink lots and lots of water...Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it
  • Options
    Try eating a piece of fruit when you're getting a sweets craving - I find it helps a lot of times (though not all of the time!). Great job on the weight loss and cutting out the soda!
  • Options
    If you have to have a sweet (and for me, fruit never seems to satisfy that craving!), maybe try subbing for something healthier. Friendly's makes ice cream that's only 120 calories a serving, without any artificial sweetners, and Fiber One makes 90 calorie brownies that ACTUALLY TASTE LIKE BROWNIES.

I definitely agree with everyone above on tracking calories - MFP has been the biggest part of being able to lose weight for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Options
    If you have to have a sweet (and for me, fruit never seems to satisfy that craving!), maybe try subbing for something healthier. Friendly's makes ice cream that's only 120 calories a serving, without any artificial sweetners, and Fiber One makes 90 calorie brownies that ACTUALLY TASTE LIKE BROWNIES.

I definitely agree with everyone above on tracking calories - MFP has been the biggest part of being able to lose weight for me.
    Those brownies are amazing! Love them so much.
  • Options
    Do you supplement with iodine? Iodine deficiency is what causes many thyroid issues.
    Also, I would strongly recommend going clean Paleo/Primal. It will help you with your sugar cravings, and ditching grains will help with the issue of bloat and water retention. Don't eat crap like Fiber One or other stuff that has zero nutritional value to it. Eat whole, healthy foods - that's what your body needs to heal and release the fat. If your body is starved of nutrients it will not release fat, even if you're getting the "right" amount of calories.

Also, make sure you are getting quality sleep and that your chronic stress levels are under control. Those are key to fat loss too.
  • Options
    If you are looking for a sweet, I just recently found Skinny Cow- Pink Velvet Truffle ice cream bar- 100 cals, and soooo good!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    I have tried the Fiber One brownies and they were actually really good and they satisfied the craving. I have also tried getting sugar free candies and just having one of those when I get a craving. I also bought the Special K chocolaty delight with strawberries and that also helps.... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards