Getting in Shape
Options

C25k??

Hi ladies! I'm generally in shape (5'2, 110lb) but my cardio is seriously pathetic. I started the C25k but I seriously am having such a hard time. I literally feel like I'm going to die after 20 minutes and I'm only on week 3. Are there any tricks to making it easier? Or am I just being a wimp?

Re: C25k??

• Options
    If you're finding certain sessions particularly hard, it couldn't hurt to repeat it 1-2 more times. The program is only a suggestion, but the pace of it might not work perfect for everyone.

I'm about to start C25K and plan to use it as more of a loose guideline. If you're not a runner, it's going to take some time to get into it.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I'm actually doing the treamill versions, so it's based on time, not speed, which I set myself. So I should try to run slower? Seems like something I should have thought of myself haha :) 

I really think it's a big mind over matter thing for me. 
  • Options
    cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    A lot of running is definitely mind over matter. I've been running for 13 years and just convinced myself over the last few months that it is in fact possible to run more than 3 miles. I was trained as a sprinter and never thought i could more. Slow down and just talk yourself through it. It's about breaking down those mental walls.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I enjoyed the program, though I did have to repeat some of the days because I am not an avid runner, a beginner and someone who just runs casually.  Once I regain strength in my ankle and leg I plan on beginning the program again.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What pace are you setting the treadmill at?  It sounds like you just need to slow down.  Like Liatris I started running at a slower pace than a 10 min/mile.  I was closer to a 12, which is 5 mph on the treadmill. 

I would try to run at a pace where you can still talk and are able to fully recover (return to regular breathing) during the walking sections of the C25K plan. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can't believe I've never thought of using the outside plan on the treadmill. I'll deifnitely try that. I also found myself upping the speed when I felt like I was giving out. 

I'm a dance instructor that has never really played sports, so I've never been a runner. Ever. but I feel like I get such a better cardio workout with running then elliptical/bike. 
  • Options
    First off...congrats on starting a running program...after trying (and failing!) several times to do the C25K program...I successfully completed it last year and ran my first 5K (the whole thing!!) in May 2012...I have since fallen IN LOVE with running and everything related.

Here are my suggestions in regards to your post:

1) As other girls have mentioned, definitely slow down! Running (especially in the beginning) should be much more based on time and/or mileage. Then once you can go 3 or 4 miles without walking, you can up your speed. I did the program outside and based on minutes because I had no way of tracking the mileage. I think either way is fine...time or mileage because even if you are doing an 11 or 12 minute mile, you are still getting the time in.

2) Play mindgames with yourself...distract yourself, listen to music, watch tv...do whatever so that you aren't thinking about how hard or terrible it is...could you do some of your workouts outside? I have an extremely hard time running on the treadmill...especially with the output right in front of me. That may help...and YES, mind over matter is super important...SO much of running is mental...your body is capable of much more than you think!

3) Sign up for a race...even if you have to walk some of it the day of...it can be great motivation!

4) This is NOT meant to discourage you at all...but I really believe that running (as all other forms of fitness) is an acquired taste...I love it, I know others (who are super fit) who hate it. If you decide that its not for you, you can always continue with your other activities or try something new!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Sarah5200Sarah5200 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2013
    Yup, another vote for slow down. I did the program outside and based on time, not distance. I went at a snail's pace, and it worked for me. If by day 3 of the week you're not feeling like "Wow, this was way easier than day 1," then do that week over. In the long run, it's way better.

I downloaded the PodRunner tracks off of iTunes when I did it, they were free and I felt like I was constantly just waiting for the beep to tell me it was walking time again - but that helped me push through to do the whole time... Don't know if that makes sense or not!

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I started C25K a few weeks ago and I love it, and hate it at the same time! I downloaded fitradio which has great workout mixes and songs that definitely help you to keep running. I'm going to agree with everyone else and say slow down. Do what you can. I see people running at 6 and 7, one guy even 12 at the gym. I do 5.4 and I'm good, somedays I can do more, lazy days I do 5.2. It's all on how you feel. You don't need to rush it, just make it through! Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh and definitely repeat the week if you don't feel like you're ready to move on!
  • Options
    When I started running I did the walk/run method, where I walked most of my "runs" for the first month.  Slowly I added more running than walking time.  But it was still tough!  One of the biggest pieces of advice I got from other runners is that you should feel like you can keep running when your workout is over, and if not, then you pushed yourself too hard.  I also felt like I should be able to run more or faster or longer when I first started, and I had to realize that building endurance takes time, and I'd get there when my body said so!  Just keep it up!  You're definitely not a wimp.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards