Moms and Maids

Step Mama stuff!

Alrighty folks! So obviously my biological mom & the FMIL will be wearing the mother of the bride/groom dresses for our day. However, I'm wondering if I should extend the invite to my step mom? We aren't as close as can be, but I still care about her &  all. I guess I don't really know how to approach the topic. I plan on inviting her when my mom and I go to pick out my wedding dress. Suggestions & similar experiences are encouraged :) 
Thank you all and have a fantastic FRIDAY!!!

Re: Step Mama stuff!

• I'm not sure I understand the question. What exactly are you needing to approach? Clothes are clothes as far as the guests are concerned. Whatever your mother wears will be her "mother of the bride" outfit (if she wears a fancy dress, fancy pantsuit, or a pair of khakis and a shirt, that will be her "mother of the bride" outfit)  whatever the groom's mother wears will be her "mother of the groom" outfit; whatever Aunt Sally wears will be her "wedding guest" outfit, and so on.  The only people in "designated" or "named" attire are you, your groom, and the wedding party. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SLHedinSLHedin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Never mind! Got that figured out!
  • Mom and FSMIL have been told what the colors we've chosen are. It's up to them to wear what they want. But, we will likely all go shopping together anyway. FSMIL cried when I invited her to go dress shopping with my mom and I. It's definitely a nice gesture to include her in your dress shopping. Perhaps if she asks about other attire, show her photos of what MOB and MOG have chosen to wear as a way of giving her ideas and helping her feel included.

You haven't stated if there are any issues between your mom and SM. I am assuming they get along reasonably well. You should be able to expect both women to act like adults in wedding stuff. I'm my mom's only child. When talking with her, I made sure she was ok with FSMIL coming dress shopping- (her mom accompanied her for her first wedding, and passed two years later; I didn't know if she wanted that to be special for the two of us, but she thought inviting FSMIL was a great idea)

If your SM can't make it to dress shopping or to another activity, consider asking her to attend the first fitting- you get a nice moment with her seeing you in your dress prior to the wedding, and she gets to feel definitely included.

• KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    I would extend the invitation if your mom and step mom get along. However check with your mom first to see how she feels regarding this topic. She may want the special time with you. Some with your step mom. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards