Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Insufficient postage on invitations!! Guests being charged by post office

We picked up our invitations on Monday and sent them out on Tuesday night. Our stationer explained the invitations would need need 2 stamps.

I also explained to my fiance we needed 2 stamps. He only added 1 stamp when he sent the invitations out.

Needless to say it wasn't sufficient. My mother and a few friends are telling me that they are being charged $1.40 to pick up the invitation from the post office.

This is so embarrassing, we had plenty of stamps- he should have used them. How do I make this up to our guests?

Re: Insufficient postage on invitations!! Guests being charged by post office

• Options
    Oh goodness. I have no idea, other than having your FI call everyone, apologize, and offer to pay for them.

Why didn't they just come back to you, instead of making your invitees pay?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

You are so right. I should have double checked. You know even if we used 2 stamps it still wouldn't have covered it. Fortunately some of our guests (in town) are receiving it with no problem. We plan on calling every invite tomorrow and reimbursing every one. It's just very embarassing.

• Options

I called the PostMaster in our town. He was very kind and understanding. He said the only way to resolve the problem was to call every postoffice for each different zip code and contact the postmaster and pay the additional fee over the phone. He went on to say that not all PostMasters would be willing to take the payment over the phone. He said some would make me come in to take care of it.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Oh wow...ouch.  I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. But I agree with alisonmarie658 that you need to take care of it ASAP and apologize to any guest who gets stuck with a postage due situation.

• Options
    Oh my gosh. That's horrible. I am so sorry. I had a similar problem with the post office this last week. We mailed out a card for Mother's Day and they sent it back to us a week later for more postage (AFTER Mother's Day), but at least they sent it to US and didn't expect the recipient to may the difference. Isn't that the normal procedure anyway? I've never been a fan of the USPS but charging someone to pick up a card? That's unreal.
  • Options
    It's definitely embarrassing! Take care of it quickly, and I also like CMGr's idea. You can turn it into a chuckle. It's really odd that they didn't just come back to you for insufficient postage. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    The $1.40 could double as bartender tip money if they have tip jars. I know people forget to bring cash a lot now, so that might even be helpful. ;)
  • Options
    The $1.40 could double as bartender tip money if they have tip jars. I know people forget to bring cash a lot now, so that might even be helpful. ;)
    Ugh?   So you propose they cover a tip that they should cover to begin with?   I do not even know how these two issues are even connected.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Tip jars are not acceptable.  I've never seen a venue that does not charge the usual service and gratuity fee in the venue price.  Why tip twice?
  • Options
    Thank you for advice. Funny my fiance suggested having $1.50 at each place setting. He was thinking of the coins. The gold dollar and a half dollar coin. Of course I will point out that it was all his fault! lol Just kidding. We ended up calling everyone and apologizing, some guest received it some didn't...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards