Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Faux Cakes (top tier is real) in Northern Indiana?

I am getting married in northeast Indiana. We are having desserts at our wedding, but I would also like to have a faux cake with one real layer to cut for tradition's sake. I plan to have the cake with one real tier to cut into and then serve the other desserts to the guests. If anyone has already done this, I would love to know where I can have this done. Recommendations are very welcome! Thank you!

Best Answer

Re: Faux Cakes (top tier is real) in Northern Indiana?

• Options
    Ellen1982 said:
    I am getting married in northeast Indiana. We are having desserts at our wedding, but I would also like to have a faux cake with one real layer to cut for tradition's sake. I plan to have the cake with one real tier to cut into and then serve the other desserts to the guests. If anyone has already done this, I would love to know where I can have this done. Recommendations are very welcome! Thank you!
    I don't have any recommendations for bakeries that do this (try your local board for that), but I will say, most of the brides that have tried this find out that having a real tiered cake is about the same price as having the bottom tiers be fake.  The cake is the easy part, it's the decorating that costs money. And whether the bottom is cake or styrofoam, they still have to decorate it.  So, you may not save much money going this route.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    Also, just for clarification, so there is going to look like there is a big cake but the guests don't get any of it? I don't like that at all.

A lot of brides will do this so the big fancy tiered cake is fake on the bottom tiers, and real on the top tiers, and then serve their guests from a sheet cake in the back somewhere. 
  • Options
    Generally, this is done when there is hidden sheet cake in the back.  It saves money and time, and guests most likely won't know the difference.  Having a cake to cut just for tradition, and not serving any rubs me the wrong way.  What desserts are you having?  Could you cut any of those instead of the cake?
  • Options
    Ellen1982Ellen1982 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    The guests will get to choose from a variety of cheesecake, cakes, and tortes, so they certainly won't be missing out. I just wanted to have a decorated cake to cut as well since those won't be decorated for the wedding. 
  • Options
    Ellen1982 said:

I don't see anything wrong with it! I found this is Real Weddings section. This bride made here own and it's gorgeous!! http://www.theknot.com/weddings/album/a-luxurious-wedding-in-new-york-ny-117999
  • Options
    Thanks for the info PromDates2001. I'm comfortable with the decision of having a faux cake and providing a variety of full-size delicious desserts for my guests. I am just looking for options of who can do that for me for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    So to be clear - again - the cake you are cutting for tradition - will NOT be available to your guests. I just don't like that.
    I don't like that either.  It really isn't polite to have a cake just for cutting but not for serving *unless* there is going to be the same type of cake available for serving.  You're saying there isn't, and that doesn't come off well.  It doesn't matter what other desserts get served-it's not okay for the couple to have anything that won't be offered to the guests.
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh my, all I wanted to know was where I could have this done near where my wedding will take place.

I am 100% sure that my guests won't care, and most of them won't even know if the slices of cake that will be offered will be from the displayed cake or not since they take the cake away after it is cut. As I said, there will be a variety of slices of cake offered to our guests as well as cheesecake and tortes. My friends and family are really low-maintenance about this type of thing. Honestly, I am going to dig into the cheesecake because that is my dessert of choice. I just thought it would be fun to have something decorated in a cute way to cut and take the first bite with my new husband for tradition and pictures and such. 
  • Options
    Ellen1982 said:
    Oh my, all I wanted to know was where I could have this done near where my wedding will take place.

I am 100% sure that my guests won't care, and most of them won't even know if the slices of cake that will be offered will be from the displayed cake or not since they take the cake away after it is cut. As I said, there will be a variety of slices of cake offered to our guests as well as cheesecake and tortes. My friends and family are really low-maintenance about this type of thing. Honestly, I am going to dig into the cheesecake because that is my dessert of choice. I just thought it would be fun to have something decorated in a cute way to cut and take the first bite with my new husband for tradition and pictures and such. 
    I think that if you want the sympathy of anyone here, you need to stop being defensive about your decision not to offer your guests a cake you plan to cut.  Not caring does not negate rudeness.  We are not going to offer you advice or sympathy on proposed actions that cross the etiquette line.
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not being defensive or hoping for sympathy by any means. I'm simply explaining the reasoning behind my decision. I am just a bit confused about how this turned into a discussion about my decision instead of answering my original question. I completely understand that people may disagree with my decision.

I honestly was just looking for a cute decorated cake to cut. If it is that big of an issue, my guests can have a slice of the one tier that is real on an otherwise faux cake, but I am certain that the cake I am envisioning will not be large enough to feed all of my guests.

I was truly just looking for some information.
  • Options
    Mybestfriendswedding: That is truly what I want: a small two-tiered simple, cute cake that I can cut that is obviously not big enough for everyone. I guess it got lost in translation somewhere that I wanted a big, fancy cake. I just don't know that I am skilled enough to make one on my own, so I was looking for one at a reasonable price. I hadn't received any replies from the post on the local board, so I thought I would try here. Thanks.
  • Options
    My best advice, since you aren't being answered on your local board, is to start calling local bakeries. I would make a list of all the bakeries you can find within a reasonable distance. Look up reviews if you can find them, to eliminate the bakers that aren't worth the time. Then start calling. It may take some time.
    Another idea is, since it is just a small cake for you and FI to cut, check Walmart. As much as I hate stepping foot in that place, they have some nice simple but cute cakes that can be ordered. A plus is that they are also cheap.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Ellen1982 said:
    Oh, I'm not being defensive or hoping for sympathy by any means. I'm simply explaining the reasoning behind my decision. I am just a bit confused about how this turned into a discussion about my decision instead of answering my original question. I completely understand that people may disagree with my decision.

I honestly was just looking for a cute decorated cake to cut. If it is that big of an issue, my guests can have a slice of the one tier that is real on an otherwise faux cake, but I am certain that the cake I am envisioning will not be large enough to feed all of my guests.

I was truly just looking for some information.
    We gave you information-that it's not polite to cut a cake you don't plan to serve.  That may not have been what you wanted to hear, but it was information.

As it's been said many times here, we don't give advice on how to execute a bad idea.  We will tell you that it's a bad idea.  It may not be the answer to your question.  We find it childish when the OP responds with "I didn't ask you X."
  • Options
    Mybestfriendswedding15: Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I  hadn't thought of Walmart or maybe even a local grocer? They might be able to make me something simple but cute that we can display and cut for a reasonable price. The dessert variety is going to cost us quite a bit, but we really wanted to do that since we think our guests will enjoy it. So, maybe that will be a good option to at least look into. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards