Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Processional

All of my grandparents are deceased.  I would like to have a close friend of the family who has been like a grandfather to me as honorary grandfather.  What are my options for the processional with only one grandfather? 

Re: Processional

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    slq7956 said:
    All of my grandparents are deceased.  I would like to have a close friend of the family who has been like a grandfather to me as honorary grandfather.  What are my options for the processional with only one grandfather? 

Sorry, I don't really think you can do this without it being a bit awkward. Why not buy him a boutinierre to wear and have him sit in one of the first pews (with his spouse, if he has one)?

Would he maybe like to do a reading?

• Options
    It would be nice to include him, but would it make your parents uncomfortable?

The typical processional order is:
    1. Mother of the Bride
    2. Groomsmen
    3. Best man
    4. Groom
    5. Officiant
    6. Bridesmaid
    7. Maid of Honor
    8. Flower Girl and Ring bearer
    9. Father of the Bride and Bride

If you wanted to include him, then make the processional include a larger family. Do your mom, the grooms parents, then siblings not in the wedding party, and finally him. Giving him his own boutonniere would be a very good idea, as it would indicate that he is special to you and having him sit in the pews.

I would discuss it with your family first. This situation might really hurt some feelings and make people feel as if you are ignoring loved ones. Some people sit pictures of the deceased in the ceremony (either on chairs, the bouquet, a table as you head down to your seats at the ceremony).

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards