Outdoor Weddings

Would having a private weather forecast be beneficial?

In attempt to abide by forum rules, I will be semi vague here. I am starting a private forecasting company that plans to cater a large portion to the private sector, especially private events. Double especially for weddings.So if a forecasting company could provide you some sort of tailored forecast and/or nowcasting (lingo for live monitoring during the event) service, would it be helpful? Is this something you would consider investing in? What would be most beneficial to you?

Re: Would having a private weather forecast be beneficial?

• No. Not at all. You can google weather and use the farmer's almanac to plan ahead. And the day of - just watch the weather on a phone. There are WAAAAAYYY too many free ways to do this and there's no way I would pay someone to "nowcast" the weather at an event. 

Rich dumbasses would be your target market.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_would-having-a-private-weather-forecast-be-beneficial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:69660912-5a6b-483a-b43c-e0eed3327ed9Post:f904fb6d-96d6-413e-adee-4dd6428a6fc5">Re: Would having a private weather forecast be beneficial?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No. Not at all. You can google weather and use the farmer's almanac to plan ahead. And the day of - just watch the weather on a phone. There are WAAAAAYYY too many free ways to do this and there's no way I would pay someone to "nowcast" the weather at an event.  Rich dumbasses would be your target market.
    Posted by beardownbchs[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, well I appreciate your response! I agree that it is very easy to find a free forecast, and many people would be able to do just that. What I would aim to provide is I believe above and beyond that. Consider the days where its 70% chance rain, with heavy rain before noon and then quickly clearing. Those kind of situations. Again, thanks for the honest reply.</div>
  • so u saying u can do better than 70% chance.  lol and we can look out a window day of and hour before wedding.  i have my own weather thing on phone :)

• There's also the hourly function on weather.com. I don't see the need to pay for something when I can use that. And it's free, and pretty accurate. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I honestly don't know anyone, rich or not, that would invest in something so ridiculous.  Weather.com and accuweather.com gave me an hourly forecast the week of my wedding, and it was free, and accurate down to about 1degree.
  • There are too many weather apps on phones where you can look at a current radar that shows predictions for the next hour or so.  

If you can give an accurate forecast months or even a week or two in advance, I would purchase that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i'm curious as to how you can do this.
  • ttanton said:
    In attempt to abide by forum rules, I will be semi vague here. I am starting a private forecasting company that plans to cater a large portion to the private sector, especially private events. Double especially for weddings.So if a forecasting company could provide you some sort of tailored forecast and/or nowcasting (lingo for live monitoring during the event) service, would it be helpful? Is this something you would consider investing in? What would be most beneficial to you?
    As a recent meteorology graduate, I was thinking of starting a weather consulting business too. I had a similar idea but after reading this thread, it confirmed my suspicion that the general public isn't interested in paying for weather forecasts. No matter how specific. 

To answer the question of what value I would add, in addition to forecasting for the specific time and location, I could coordinate with the different vendors to work around the weather. No, I can't change the weather but I can mitigate as much of the damage caused by the weather. Thoughts? 
  • ttanton said:
    As a recent meteorology graduate, I was thinking of starting a weather consulting business too. I had a similar idea but after reading this thread, it confirmed my suspicion that the general public isn't interested in paying for weather forecasts. No matter how specific. 

To answer the question of what value I would add, in addition to forecasting for the specific time and location, I could coordinate with the different vendors to work around the weather. No, I can't change the weather but I can mitigate as much of the damage caused by the weather. Thoughts? 
    Tropical Storm Hannah showed up at my New Jersey beach wedding.  I figured out on my own that would be the case on the Tuesday before my Saturday wedding.  I contacted the coordinator who didn't want to think about it until Thursday. On Thursday it was clear the storm was coming and we went to plan B.  Which BTW there was ALWAYS a Plan B.  (personally I think you have to be pretty stupid not to have  plan b when it comes to outdoor wedding.

I didn't have the need for a private forecaster.  I can't think of anything you could have done my coordinator didn't do for us anyway?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards