Registry and Gift Forum

Unhappy with The Knot or Macy's, not sure which yet...

My fiance and I went to Macy's a couple  of days ago to start our registry. We were not done yet and want to check out a couple of different places before posting the registry to our website. I am very busy with work and had not had a chance to even look at what we picked. I figured I would post it after I reviewed what we scanned. My future MIL just told us today that she was looking at our registry. I had no idea that either Macy's or The Knot had already posted that information on the website! I do not appreciate this assumption. I am incredibly unhappy with that because my fiance and I was just having fun and going crazy at the store and figured we can edit after. So frustrated.

Re: Unhappy with The Knot or Macy's, not sure which yet...

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    You can edit it at any time...  You can't control when it goes online.  Clearly the retail stores (Target, Macys, C&B, wherever) want guests to buy as much as possible so the moment they can make your stuff available online, they're going to.  Edit as much as you want...but if you wanted to research first, you should have done that ahead of time.  I've deleted and added a number of things since I originally registered...
  • Are you talking about Macy's website, or your personal wedding website?

If it's the latter, just turn off that option.  Plenty of people are uncomfortable putting a registry on their website at all.  
  • As soon as you register Macy's puts your registry online. I'm not sure about The Knot, but I doubt it was automatically put onto your wedding website. But its really easy to Google a couple and see where they're registered. So its very possible that that is how your FMIL found your registry. There's nothing you can really do about that. Plus, Macy's is a populated place to register, so anyone who's looking would be able to find your registry, even if the link isn't on your website. Also, The Knot's tools are notoriously glitchy, so its probably a bad idea to use it for your wedding website in general.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I just wanted to vent I guess. I understand that people can search for me through Macy's registry. If my guests don't know that I've registered yet, they might not go search yet. Somehow on the Macy's registry showed up on my wedding website through the Knot for all to see without my knowing. I understand that I can edit and take it off if I want to, but mlg78 is precisely right, I can't control when it gets posted which is what really irked me. Personally, I like to review things before it gets posted online. Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • There is an option to make your Macy's registry private. Log into your registry and go to account info. Most places will give you this option, but unless you specifically ask them when you sign up in the store, they will make your registry searchable. I signed up online with Macy's, but when I signed up in store with BBB there was a box to check if you wanted your registry to appear online. I would think Macy's has something similar.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_unhappy-with-the-knot-or-macys-not-sure-which-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:31d8fdf9-e23e-4865-9227-1bc185560f2aPost:98a6a8d8-02ea-449d-955a-f3e8dc4a2972">Re: Unhappy with The Knot or Macy's, not sure which yet...</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is an option to make your Macy's registry private. Log into your registry and go to account info. Most places will give you this option, but unless you specifically ask them when you sign up in the store, they will make your registry searchable. I signed up online with Macy's, but when I signed up in store with BBB there was a box to check if you wanted your registry to appear online. I would think Macy's has something similar.
    Posted by Cackle6[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>She's right. Log in to your macys account and then click on "Edit Account" Scroll past your address and all of that info to the part that says "Registry preferences" and then toggle the view to private. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah but when you make your macy's profile private than your guests can't view it. I don't want my registry information coming up on google but guests should be able to view it on macy's website or in the store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This happened to me too.  The knot automatically adds the major department stores to your website.  We had just a picture on our "Our registries" tab and the Macy's icon popped up once we registered.  Luckily I was going to the website to add it anyways.  (We're putting our registries on the web but nowhere near any invitiations).  Unfortunately it also added a target registry that I only created in order to redeem the "Get $20 target giftcard if you register 10 gifts" flyer. 

In addition to the option of making your registries private, you can also edit your registries listed on the manage my website tool on the knot, just go to the registries page of your website.
  • I had a similar issue recently. I had just started my registry and my fiancé went crazy with the Macy's scanner. We had several duplicates, mismatched towels, and multiple china patterns because we couldn't decide on our favorite but did not want to forget the name of it. It wasn't even a week later that we had friends calling telling us that we needed to immediately fix our registry and get it cleaned up. We hadn't even told anyone about it and it was more than 6 months before the wedding. Apparently they wanted to get a head start on the gift options before the other guest and simply searched our names with the most common places to register. It was kind of a pain to be forced to clean it up before I had the chance to thoroughly think about what we wanted to keep so we ended up deleting several things. Then noticing that we were deleting things off our registry, our registry consultant became concerned that we didn't like their registry and though we wanted to cancel. I guess that is the problem with starting it early without giving yourself enough time to think about what you really want.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards