Not Engaged Yet
Options

alive and here!

hi everyone.

my family and I are OK.  to make it short, we lost our horse farm and horses.  my house has some damage and we've been doing clean-up, but it could have been much worse.  only a street or two away from my house, everything is gone.  they shut down my neighborhood, but we were able to get my dogs and H and I stayed at my parents'.  we had no power or water, but that was restored last night.  our yard and garden was full of debris...  bricks, wood, metal, insulation, a pair of sunglasses, and a bunch of unidentifiable stuff.  stuff is plastered to our brick and windows, so we'll have to power wash that off.

my mom was working in one of the schools that was hit, but she's okay and no one at her school died. 

some of my coworkers lost their homes, and a close friend of mine lost everything they have. 

we spent part of the day yesterday trying to salvage what we could of the horse farm.  we found all three of the horses dead (either they died during the tornado or someone came by and shot them to end it all).  the injuries/deaths were graphic and horrible.  I didn't get up close to any of them, but my dad, H, and brother all went to make sure they were gone.  we thought for a while one was still alive, but eventually we found him in a pond.

I'm just thankful we have a home and each other.  my dad and I were driving towards my house and the horse farm to check it out when we heard on the radio that it was hitting my mom's school.  it was possibly the worst 5-10 minutes of my life, waiting to find out if she was alive.

and now we begin the long process of rebuilding and recovery.  we need a new roof at my house.  my mom will need to take her car in...  it was one of the only ones in the parking lot at the school that was drive-able.  we will have to do clean-up at the horse farm and help K. (the lady who lived on the land) find a place to stay and rebuild.  sadly, she is an older woman also battling cancer right now.  she is suffering a lot of guilt over "losing" the horses.  but there's nothing she could have done.  I'm sure much of our free time in the next few weeks will be spent helping our friends salvage what's left at their house and find some more permanent housing, until all the insurance stuff is taken care of.

we are on a list to get a shelter (my parents have one, but we don't).  who knows how long it will be to get one now!

I would love to share pictures and/or videos.  I tried to upload to this post, but it just isn't working for me.  PM me if you'd like to see!  I don't want to put it out here because it has ID'ing landmarks and signs, and that's just creepy.  my neighbor has a few videos he took from a camera and iPhone, as it passed by our street. 

thanks to everyone who was checking up on us.  I haven't stopped shaking and I'm suffering from small anxiety attacks, but I'm back at work today and I'm sure getting back to normal is the best thing.  if you'd like to find ways to help out, let me know. 

Re: alive and here!

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm so glad you and your family all survived. I'm sorry about your horses. I can't even begin to comprehend what you all must be going through. Sending you the biggest hug ever. <3 
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you and your family are alright, and I'm so sorry for all that you've lost!  I've been following it on the news and it just looks terrible.  Mother Nature needs to cool it a bit.  Good luck with the clean up and rebuild.  Sending you hugs!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad you and your family are okay. *hugs*
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options
    RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    So sorry to hear about your horses, but I am glad you and your family are alright.  Sending you hugs and vibes for the rebuilding process!

• Options
    *hugs*  I'm so glad you and your family is ok.  I'm so sorry to hear about the lose of the horses. :(  I'll be praying for you as you begin the rebuilding process.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Sending you lots of love and hugs, Coco <3

• Options
    Coco, I'm sending you so much love. I'm so glad that your family survived, and I'm sorry to hear about your horses.
  • Options
    I'm so glad you guys are okay, I'm sorry to hear about the horses. It's going to take time to get through this, but we're all here to support you. *hugs*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I'm so glad you and your family are okay! Be sure to take care of yourself during this stressful time too. I'm sure I would be right there with you having panic attacks occasionally even after the fact. I'm so sorry about your horses but I think you and your family are looking at things in the right light. Please let us know if you need anything!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options

I am so glad to hear you and your family are all safe.

I've seen some of the footage and it just sends chills down my spine.

Hugs and we're all thinking and praying for you and everyone involved.

• Options
    Sending you so much love Coco.  <3

Please, please let us know what you need!
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the damage and the loss of your farm and horses. I can't imagine what everyone is going through over there. I've been praying like crazy. My company has an office in that area and luckily they are all ok.
  • Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I'm very sorry for your loss of the horses but am very happy the rest of your family is safe. 
  • Options
    Oh my! I'm so glad that you're ok! It's amazing that your mom was able to drive away after it all. I'm glad no one at the school died either. Sorry about your horses Coco. We're sending prayers your way.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    thanks, everyone.  it's pretty chaotic right now, but we'll figure things out!
  • Options
    CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Coco, so glad you, your H, and your family are OK. Sending you all the hugs as you deal with the aftermath and the loss of your horses - so difficult and sad. <3
  • Options
    Glad to know you and your family are okay!

• Options
    Love and vibes. So glad you guys are ok!
  • Options
    Lots of love, Coco. I'm so sorry about your horses, but I'm glad everyone in your family made it through fairly unscathed. Please let us know what we can do to help!

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Glad you are ok.  Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards