Offbeat Weddings
Options

Lord of the Rings

We are nerds. Haha. I once came up with the idea of having a LOTR wedding, way before we met. One day he asked me what I pictured the wedding to look like and I told him that the only thing I had ever thought of was a Lord of the Rings wedding. That was all it took for him to decide that was what was going to happen. So, that's what we are going to do. Any suggestions on ceremony and reception?

Re: Lord of the Rings

• Options
    I can't tell you how happy this makes me.  

I've seen stuff online that goes from subtle to outrageous, like the Four Weddings episode that had Gollum as a ringbearer.  That was a bit much.  
    You can find places online that will design LOTR style invitations for you.  You can either do the invite on a Middle Earth map, or use an icon like the tree of Gondor.  Decide if you want to focus on humans, elves, dwarves, hobbits, etc, and incorporate style elements to match.  Find one or two elements/icons to focus on, like an image of the party tree for hobbits or the horse lords' banner for Edoras, and use them on all your stationary.  Use centerpieces that flow with your race--simple wildflowers and/or bushels of fruit for hobbits, elegant floral centers for elves, etc.  
    Lots of places specialize in medieval-style wedding dresses; some even name dresses after Awen or Eowyn.  
    I've also seen groom's cakes  done like the One Ring, the Tower of Sauron, or Bag End.  

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I am glad it makes you happy. I am so excited. Thank you so much. This is really helpful. I will use this. I think we are going to have it be more like the elves.
  • Options
    Sounds fun!

Depending on if you like it, you could try to find something similar to Arwen's white dress to wear. 

Venue ideas: If you're open to the hobbits why not find a farm in the spring and have a Shire party. Sparklers, outdoor lights, open air, and merriment had by all. 

Tables could each be named after various things from the books; city locations, races, characters, battles, etc. If you really wanted to get fancy you could try looking up various phrases in orcish, elven, dwarf, etc for quests to read. I know I described that really weird but basically the table name sign would look like:

Elrond's Table
     "Aniral sogad?" (Ah-NEAR-ahl-soe-gahd)
     Do you want to drink? 

Obviously that phase doesn't work if your wedding is alcohol free but you could pick phrases guests might enjoy trying out during the night. 

Centerpieces could be small trees to represent the Ents or anything organic, stacks of the books, lanterns, etc. I think keeping it simple would be best with something organic; flowers, moss, branches, water, etc. These are only suggestions and you really could do anything your imagination comes up with. 

You could do readings from the books during the ceremony; this is one of my favorites:

“It's like in the Great Stories, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? 

But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too young to understand why. But I think I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something-that there's some good in the world, and it's worth fighting for!”

Sorry for the size; I copied it and couldn't figure out how to make it smaller :(

Good luck with your wedding!

• Options
    If you're leaning toward elves, I second Fluffy on using lanterns as part of your decor.  Manzanita trees, painted white and hung with small jewels, would be beautiful without being overly theme-y, and speak both of the beauty of nature and the elves, and also resemble the white tree of Gondor.  
    You could cut your cake with a sword prop replica.  

We're using leaf brooches (ebay, probably knockoffs but they're gorgeous) instead of boutonieres for the guys.  :)
  • Options
    Thank you all so much. These are all really good and helpful ideas. I will definately be using some of these. We are going to try to do the Arwen/Aragorn wedding so that dress idea works. I really like the lantern andmoss/flower ideas. The cake sword idea is really awesome too. We are actually going to be having some of the swords, actual movie replica swords there, so that works. I like all of these ideas. :)
  • Options
    Some how I missed the small tree ideas when I read these the first time. I absolutely love that, both the regular small trees and painting them white. I am going to use that. Thank you so much. :)
  • Options
    I know I'm late to the party, but I LOVE this. Please share photos after this amazing event goes down!

Vanessa
    Zebrafish Events
  • Options
    so glad to have found this post, we're doing a LOTR wedding too, I'm stealing some of these ideas too :)
  • Options
    Oh lordy good to know i was not the only one with this idea. But we are doing a Elves/ human. All the men are going to be Doonadi.. the human rangers. Although my dress is not going to be white it's going to be fun! Great ideas ladies!
  • Options
    Alek4Alek4 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    We are having "Concerning Hobbits" as one of the prelude song. LOTR definitely has a beautiful score, you should look into having some of their music played at the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards