Wedding Reception Forum

Performing at the reception

Ok so my fiance and I are both doing some sort of performance at the wedding. The only trouble is, is i'm out of ideas. It has to be something Disney and can be dancing or singing or both. Just need a basic idea to start with. Before I get a thousand no's let me give you a little information.

1. This is a family tradition! Everyone performs during their wedding in some shape or form. My aunt hired hula dancers and danced with them, my sister did a hip hop routine with her bridesmaids, etc...

2. My bridesmaids have already said they are totally in and are actually pretty excited. We came with an idea but my fiance guessed it.

Re: Performing at the reception

• vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We answered this question for you on May 5th. Our answer is still the same.  Don't turn your wedding into a talent show that no one wants to watch.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • I don't know why you're posting this again and NOW it's somehow a family tradition.  You say you're going to do it and no one will stop you. So why are you here? You need us to name Disney songs for you? Google can do that.
  • Everyone here already told you this is a horrible idea.  Why would you come back and ask the same question?   Your wedding is not a theatre or play.  Get married, enjoy your reception and guests, but don't bore your guests with a performance and don't force your wedding party to participate. 
  • Your bridesmaids don't really want to do it. They're humoring you because you're the bride and no one wants to be the one to say, "No, I'm not comfortable with this."
  • You know that weird feeling when you are watching a performance and you're embarrassed FOR the performer? Yeah....don't do that to your guests.

Also, if you insist on this, don't give the WP the option to participate. They'd feel bad saying no no matter how uncomfortable it makes them.
  • Nothing says amateur and attention seeking like performing at your own wedding. Don't do it.

well said!!

• Wow! So many naysayers! I performed at my wedding with my dance troupe and it was a big hit. If your people are great performers or at least fun and uninhibited it should be entertaininig and memorable.

I wish I had some ideas for you. Disney is somewhat limiting, and only you know what your girls are capable of. Just make it fun and entertaining. If you're in the performance arts, you surely know someone who can choreograph something cute. I can only wish you luck. :)

• I went to a wedding once where the bride performed.  It wasn't even a big production, she sang with a band.  Everyone clapped and said it was great when she asked, but it was super uncomfortable and odd.
  • I'm a professional musician and there is NO WAY I'm performing at my wedding - I'm hiring other professionals to do that. 
  • My FI is a professional musician. I'm a classically trained singer and violinist. There is no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that either of us would ever perform at our wedding. Why you ask? Because it's a wedding. Not a concert. Not a gig. A wedding.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Your wedding is not American Idol or Dancing With The Stars.  Ditch the "performances."
  • Oy this is bad. Haha I learned that lesson pretty quickly here... and Disney is even worse. I don't care if you sing like Mariah Carey, I will roll my eyes and leave if anyone sang disney songs at their wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards