Just Engaged and Proposals

My Smoky Mountains Backpacking Engagement Story:)

My now fiance planned a 3 night backpacking trip for us in the Smokies at the end of April. The first night we car camped (in the rain) then in the morning we packed our backpacks and headed out to our reserved spot in the woods (in the rain). After hiking for a few hours we finally made it to our spot. We were starving so decided to make dinner before pitching our tent. We were making Gado Gado Spaghetti and when the noodles were done, he grabbed the pot but it slipped out out of his hand and fell to the muddy ground and on top of our stove. He quickly grabbed what noodles he could and put them back in the pot and went to light the stove again, but his lighter was wet:( He then grabbed his waterproof matches but those wouldn't work either. Thankfully there was another couple there that gave us some more waterproof matches. After dinner, we pitched the tent then took another short hike but when we got back, the tent was full of water. He soaked up as much as he could with a towel and we settled in for a long night in the rain. Sometime during the middle of the night it stopped though and when we woke up it was sunny! We hung everything up to dry and repacked everything and set out for another long hike, this time to the top of the mountain.

We hiked for four hours without a break straight up the mountain. After about 3 1/2 hours I was starting to break down though. I was thirsty (we were running out of water) and I was starving. After finally reaching the top, I convinced him to walk into an open area with a downed tree where we would sit and eat something. He tried to talk me out of it but I wasn't having it! He kept telling me that he thought we were lost, that we should have been on another trail, not the one that we were on that was alongside a lodge.

As we walked on the trail along this beautiful lodge it started to go back up hill. When I looked up I noticed another opening and said "I think this view is going to be beautiful". We kept walking and I noticed some chairs and gazebo and really wanted to check the view out so I walked onto the property. He thought we were trespassing but I told him that they shouldn't have left the gate open then lol. I was right, the view was beautiful! It was called Gooseberry Knob and after taking pictures he proposed:) I told him later the place was perfect because it felt like we were on top of the world.

He proceeded to tell me that he had a cabin rented for us and a home cooked meal waiting :) And he told me that the lady at the Swag (the lodge we were walking alongside) picked up his car two days earlier and drove it to the cabin (another ranch down the street) where we were staying! Thankfully she picked it up when she did, because a few hours later there was a landslide where the car was parked!

He had been planning this since October of last year! It was perfect:)

Re: My Smoky Mountains Backpacking Engagement Story:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards