Second Weddings

Intro and Theme Question

Hi All! I was a a knottie for my first wedding and I'm back! Short version, the ex liked my best friend better (she was also a bridesmaid) so I divorced him and moved on. I'm now engaged to the absolute love of my life and can't wait to marry him! I am facing a lot of resistance from my family because this is the second wedding. I really don't care, we're having a wedding and we're doing what we want, the problem is I cannot for the life of me come up with a theme! I can't find a way to tie our wedding together which, as you know, causes some issues planning. How did you come up with your themes, especially the second time around? TIA!

Re: Intro and Theme Question

• I didn't have a wedding the first time so with that said...our theme is US, we have taken all the things that say us and put them together...little bit of vintage, little bit of rock and roll, ...a little bit of our favorite super heros, etc.

Ceremony is in a church, reception is in our fav bar/restaurant AND I'm wearing a huge dress, it should be interesting lol

I guess my advice would be...what inspires you and FI?  What things do you like to do together?

We go to rock concerts, and are huge super hero geeks, but he loves lounge singers, and we are both country folks, we tied all these elements in to *our* day.

FYI I got my inspiration from this amazing blog called the rock and roll bride, her blog posts are really neat and focus on how couples are breaking the mold on the old cream puff style wedding (as a must have anyway, I mean to each their own, but not everyone wants that).
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • My personal opinion is that your wedding doesn't need a theme.  The theme is two people who love each other are getting married. 

We had our wedding seaside because that mattered to us.  We chose our colors based on the linens provided by the venue.  We chose our flower to match our colors.  We chose our girls' dresses based on what they wanted to wear.  We chose our music based on songs that meant something to us, and then whatever the guests requested. 

I think you can just keep it simple.  If you WANT some theme, go ahead, but really, you don't need one.  ~Donna

• I think when I say theme I'm giving the wrong impression. I don't want it to look like I just picked stuff and threw it together, I'm trying to find a common thread to tie all pieces of the wedding together. I think I have an idea I just have to see how it plays out. Thanks for the advice!
  • My "theme" was driven by the marked down invitations I found at Michael's for $5 a box for 50. They were cream & black toile with vellum overlays held on with ribbon. I loved them, so from that point I used white & cream & black for our colors, with a touch of silver. It was elegant.

We brought in our "loves" by having our adult kids in our wedding party, our granddaughter as our flower girl, and our love for baseball came in via our "Entrance Song": The "Homerun Song" from the movie "The Natural". If you've seen the movie, it's when Robert Redford's character hits the home run at the end of the game, and there are sparks flying onto the field. We are baseball geeks, and it was perfect for us.

You can tie things together with simply a common color.

Welcome. Looking forward to hearing all your plans.

• I LOVE that you used the home run song from The Natural and I love that movie! Thanks for the advice I will find small ways to tie things together like that!
  • Our theme was "sh!t we like" lol. We started with our favorite colors and went from there. I think if you keep the colors matching all the way through you can get away with a lot of different hings going together! 

What are some of the things you like and want to incorporate? Start there first. And I got lots of inspiration from pinterest too, just seeing how things go together there helped me a lot since I'm a pretty visual person.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards